Storm , Ghillie or Kelly Kettle .

vole

it confuses me why not a coleman petrol stove or one of the many light small and portable gas ones made for walking and climbing? The gathering dry fuel and the bulkiness has always put me off and you cant do bacon on them

You can cook on a kelly kettle, you just need the pot stand. The beauty of them is the incredible speed in which they can boil water and the fact that you can use them anywhere without the need for gas or petrol. Granted they are bigger than a small gas stove but they are much more satisfying to use and you get your morning coffee much quicker.

I've got a jetboil and a Kelly and go for the Kelly much more, not least because I forget to get fuel for the jet and it eats canisters. I especially like the roaring jet you get from the Kelly when it's firing...

Kelly wins on points!

Although I do find if there's no breeze to focus on the air hole when it's starting it can be a swine to keep lit!

I've had a kelly for years, bought a jetboil for conveniience but sold it on again, not a patch on the kelly.

The kelly is reliable anywhere and cheap to run.

Go for the 1.5 litre, the disadvantages of the smaller ones outweigh the small weight saving.

It will last you a lifetime, I got my first one when I was 12, had it for 20 years but had to buy a new one last year as it got nicked!

Bw

Fire has been used by us for millennia yet every year there is a new stove product brought to the camping/outdoor market. Perhaps this goes to show that there is no universal cooking tool rather like there is no universal gun.

I've spent an awful lot of time under canvas (well rip-stop really) climbing/caving etc. and have stoves coming out of my ears. Gas stoves, petrol stoves, hexi-blocks, a meths stove and a Kelly. The Kelly gets a lot of use for relaxing teas for two with the mrs down by a quiet river we know. The one stove that I absolutely rely on and is battered beyond recognition is a gas-converted trangia. Compact, packs clean (clamshell style), is it's own windbreak, can get cylinders in any hardware store or camping shop, is a frying pan, a kettle or a pan. It has to be thirty years old now and they still make 'em. The MSR's, scorpions, Coleman Saturn 5 scare the **** out of you stoves all get overlooked.

If you are out on a mission shooting I'd say go gas. For drinks a jet boil, for corned beef hash whilst waiting for pigeon (!!) a gas Trangia. If you are out for fun go Kelly.

There is nothing quite like watching Kelly go..............ahem!

I have the 1ltr ghillie.. wife bought it for me for my birthday a couple of years ago, been used a couple of times but it just hangs in the shed mostly...

I have an MSR Dragonfly (great for longer expeditions,) the Ghillie and an Optimus Crux... the Crux will leave the house with me before anything else.... yes the ghillie can boil water fast but I could have boiled 20 litres of water, cooked me a full english and heated some water to wash up in the time you have collected enough dry fuel for the ghillie (try it when its ******* down and you are desperate for a brew!)

Ghillie is lovely and relaxing yes, but not very portable, a pain to fuel in too many situations, a fire risk, particularly in FC forests (dont let the ranger catch you.) However, when the zombie apocalypse is upon us and I have to retreat to live in a hole in the woods, it will be the Ghillie kettle that comes with me! lol

If I was in the market for a portable wood fueled stove I would probably look at the offerings from the bushcraft world, Biolite etc... although the whole charging your phone thing is a bit OTT and uneccessary.

@ Leadwasp.... I never leave the house (even to go to the office) without my firesteel and swiss army knife! just habit..

Edited by Vipa

The bizarre thing about the phone charging bit on a stove is that you CAN get a better Safaricom signal in The Mara than an Orange signal (ahem NothingNowhere signal) in ******* Midhurst!

Hey - how about a stove that burns mobile phones!?

I love the look of the Kelly but not very compact really and it must be a PITA to find fuell all the time for it, plus the need to find something to put it on or burn a mark in the ground.

Myself ATB i have a 2x small gass soves and they are great, how ever i want to to put a kit together in a army resporator pouch with a stove and bottle and something to boil water in aand cook in but am struggling for what to use to cook in. The jet boil seems great but i think its best suited to making a brew real quick and real expensive to buy in comparrison to a small compact gas stove.

So what vessal do you lot boi you water in and fry your Bacon and eggs in ?

ATB

Matt

I love the look of the Kelly but not very compact really and it must be a PITA to find fuell all the time for it, plus the need to find something to put it on or burn a mark in the ground.

Myself ATB i have a 2x small gass soves and they are great, how ever i want to to put a kit together in a army resporator pouch with a stove and bottle and something to boil water in aand cook in but am struggling for what to use to cook in. The jet boil seems great but i think its best suited to making a brew real quick and real expensive to buy in comparrison to a small compact gas stove.

So what vessal do you lot boi you water in and fry your Bacon and eggs in ?

ATB

Matt

me jetboil not cheap but are good iv done all sorts on mine