had an accident today

nobbyathome

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go,loud exhaust are illegal ,aparently not if the bike has been through an mot with them on and has for road use stamped on them or bs stamp..... another amusing one for you.

johnnie

just to add,just like any modification as long as you inform the insurance company on any mods or aftermarket parts 90% you do not have a problem with insurance

has to be 80DB or less, can be louder if stamped NOT FOR ROAD USE lets get it right please,and yes it can pass an MOT but if you are stopped by plod with it on the road,you WILL be done for exceeding UK noise limits of 80DB

KW

Edited by kdubya

Yes lets get it right,i said stamped with for road use NOT-- not for road use , or if it has the bs stamp , have you never seen an silencer with for road use stamped on it ,if the mot person deems it over loud he will fail it and the onus is on you to plead your case with the mot person or apeal ,,,, as for plod do they carry a meter? or do we rely on thier tuned ears.

just to add cant be bothered boosting your post count so end of

Edited by AULD YIN

Yes lets get it right,i said stamped with for road use NOT-- not for road use , or if it has the bs stamp , have you never seen an silencer with for road use stamped on it ,if the mot person deems it over loud he will fail it and the onus is on you to plead your case with the mot person or apeal ,,,, as for plod do they carry a meter? or do we rely on thier tuned ears.

here you go

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=uk+motorcycle+noise+limits

Actually......

Providing it meets all the BS standards and is stamped "For Road Use" then all the PC can do is give you a prohibition notice, you then have to attend an MOT Station and its up to the tester,

This has been a very grey area for years, as some stamped road use have removable baffles,

Now if you get caught with your baffles out on a stamped road use system them you are in trouble

And I quote

"The MoT requirements in respect of exhaust markings did change a couple of years ago, when the requirement for BS or EU-marking on the exhaust silencer was removed.

The tester is required to check the exhaust for security, deterioration and completeness, and with the engine running they will assess the silencer's effectiveness in reducing as far as is reasonable the noise emitted.

If the MoT Inspector then thinks the condition or type of exhaust is such that the noise emitted is clearly in excess of a standard silencer in average condition, or he finds some unacceptable markings such as track use only or not for road use, then the bike will fail.

If you wish to appeal against a refusal to issue a test certificate, then you should ask the tester for an appeal form (VT17) which you would send to the local VOSA office with the required fee no later than 14 working days after the test."

Of course someone will be along in a minute to say I'm wrong as is the PW way :whistling:

:shaun:

Doesn't matter if its got a picture of the queen of sheeba stamped on it if its over 80DB its not legal for road use, can you understand that or not?

KW

Actually......

Providing it meets all the BS standards and is stamped "For Road Use" then all the PC can do is give you a prohibition notice, you then have to attend an MOT Station and its up to the tester,

This has been a very grey area for years, as some stamped road use have removable baffles,

Now if you get caught with your baffles out on a stamped road use system them you are in trouble

And I quote

"The MoT requirements in respect of exhaust markings did change a couple of years ago, when the requirement for BS or EU-marking on the exhaust silencer was removed.

The tester is required to check the exhaust for security, deterioration and completeness, and with the engine running they will assess the silencer's effectiveness in reducing as far as is reasonable the noise emitted.

If the MoT Inspector then thinks the condition or type of exhaust is such that the noise emitted is clearly in excess of a standard silencer in average condition, or he finds some unacceptable markings such as track use only or not for road use, then the bike will fail.

If you wish to appeal against a refusal to issue a test certificate, then you should ask the tester for an appeal form (VT17) which you would send to the local VOSA office with the required fee no later than 14 working days after the test."

Of course someone will be along in a minute to say I'm wrong as is the PW way :whistling:

its not an opinion it must be 80db or less simple as really.oh and yes its another EU directive so nige will be getting a vote then?

KW

Seeing as you like things to be exact its 82db

But I stand by my above statement, the officer can only issue you with a prohibition notice, them its down to the tester

Same as smokey diesels, thats also down to the tester to what he deems acceptable

But as usual, its drifting off topic......

Seeing as you like things to be exact its 82db

But I stand by my above statement, the officer can only issue you with a prohibition notice, them its down to the tester

Same as smokey diesels, thats also down to the tester to what he deems acceptable

But as usual, its drifting off topic......

to be really really exact it 82 for above 175cc goes down to less than 80 for smaller cc, mate has a testing station (thornville mot center in town) if a bike is referred by plod he has to use a meter, no ifs and buts, exhaust emissions for bikes are the next on the list.

KW

to be really really exact it 82 for above 175cc goes down to less than 80 for smaller cc, mate has a testing station (thornville mot center in town) if a bike is referred by plod he has to use a meter, no ifs and buts, exhaust emissions for bikes are the next on the list.

KW

Ah the joys of fuel injection and programmable ECUs. Put your after-market pipe on but keep the original. Go to a tuning shop, re-map the fuelling, switch off the Euro 3 emissions restrictions and the lambda sensor. Get your original map stored on a USB stick ready for a switch over come MOT time or a test station referral from a concerned constable. Bingo. A motorcycle that smell, sounds and goes as nature intended. The EU is headed for extinction. Polar bears aren't. Don't worry about it.

Overtake on the right though....

100% agreed!!!!!!! Now that is common sense!!!

Back to the original post. I would be genuinely glad to hear the outcome of any insurance claim.

I have my own view - others might disagree - that's life - but the claim is the acid test.

years ago on my trusty old 125 that i passed my bike test on.

riding down a main street, really pretty girls comes out of shop next to the pedestrian crossing, summer dress, lovely figure, short blonde bob blowing in the wind, her light summer dress starts to raise with the gently blowing wind......i was transfixed.

didnt see the car had stopped at the pedestrian crossing, managed to come to a halt with just the front wheel touching the bumper of the car in front and did what i would describe as a stoppy, me and the whole bike up at nearly a right angle...........the young girl in the rear seat of the car was screaming.........not sure if the pretty girl was impressed or not

Try not to filter , be careful in towns for cars stopping as sometimes you cant see the person/reason they are stopping for, never undertake and be very careful when overtaking

........not sure if the pretty girl was impressed or not

Obviously not as you didn't get her no......

And when you sold the bike did you advertise it....with a stained seat due to fit blond coming out a shop....

Did you have a full face helmet or opened face one lol I'd have loved to have Sean your face lol

Obviously not as you didn't get her no......

And when you sold the bike did you advertise it....with a stained seat due to fit blond coming out a shop....

Did you have a full face helmet or opened face one lol I'd have loved to have Sean your face lol

I will be honest the car pulled off and turned into a car park, i sped home, i did have an open faced lid on....

I was mortified and embarassed, i didnt stain the seat, just my leathers

Happy for you to continue to display your comic genius on the thread, although what a loud illegal exhaust would do to an insurance claim is open to debate.

Out of interest, who said it was illegal?

My exhaust is loud and still perfectly legal, I like it that way as if they don't see me, they may hear me and hesitate which could be the difference between whether you end up in an accident or not