had an accident today

nobbyathome

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the loud exhaust - it defies logic. Based on that - no vehicle would have a silencer. Priceless rubbish. :lol::lol: :lol:

In your opinion.

I disagree. I used to live in London town, and had a commute through town which i did on a motorbike. It initially had a factory fitted system, but I removed the can and fitted an aftermarket, noisier (but still road legal) option. The difference it made was astonishing! All of a sudden I could see peoples eyes flicking up to their mirrors, people pulled over more frequently, sometimes in and sometimes out to block me but hey! At least they knew I was there! That was because all of a sudden they could hear me.

That said, I still ride, but not through a packed city. A lot of my riding now is done in the Kent/Sussex/Hampshire/Dorset countryside. Now a loud exhaust only serves to annoy those living in the villages I pass through...I am now running standard 'quiet' exhausts. Time and place, and a purpose for loud exhausts in my opinion.

That would be my opinion too

What bunch of old women .

Back to the op

The donut that opened the door was at fault

nope the bigger "donut" riding up the inside was at fault, perhaps had the op had comprehensive insurance he may not be so intent on shifting blame.

KW

Nobody knows if the passenger checked to see if it was clear before opening her door, she may well have done and by the time she has started to open and get out some clown on a bike has rode up on the inside.

We have all done daft things at times your not alone.

Figgy

if i was you i would take a look at section 239 of the Highway code, if you found the car had positioned past you as you tried to pull into a space to filter then they opened a door on you is that what happened

If I was the OP I would get you to fill in the Insurance claim form for me. Job Done.

if i was you i would take a look at section 239 of the Highway code, if you found the car had positioned past you as you tried to pull into a space to filter then they opened a door on you is that what happened

found that difficult to decipher! perhaps another look at what the op posted may help?

3 cars in front of me slowing down to stop at a pedestrian crossing there was 2 lanes of traffic coming against me and the cars did not leave room for me to filter on the outside but left plenty on the inside so i undertook to get to the front of them

and guess what a door opened :yes: and bingo he,s on the deck, as cilla would say ! surprise surprise

KW

what he did was dodgy and ill thought out,but although being annoying would not have caused harm or injury to anyone or anything.if illegal then a fine would do.

what the car did on the other hand did cause harm and damage which to me seems like a bigger offence.

i highly doubt that there are any drivers or riders that can claim to drive perfectly to the letter of the law,,to err is human.

he may not get any joy at all with the insurance(and personally i don't think he will)but i don't think the collision is all on him.

this is just my opinion as asked for by the op

cheers al

All these bikers saying how dangerous filtering is so I want to ask if they are sat on a motorway that is solid with traffic and looks like it will be for several hours.

Do you sit in line and wait because filtering is so dangerous?

kdubya - as I have said - I will let the insurance company judge it. Hell will freeze over before the OP wins this.

Beats me why so many try to excuse a dangerous manoeuvre.

yep, every thing from exhausts to lorry's discussed and still in denial :lol: beats me why you would ride a bike "aggressively" whilst on third party? used to see losers at every isle of man TT sat on Douglas sea front with a bucket and a begging placard asking for donations to help to repair their third party insured bike , which they had just wrecked thanks to their brain dead riding skills/ maneuvers.

KW

All these bikers saying how dangerous filtering is so I want to ask if they are sat on a motorway that is solid with traffic and looks like it will be for several hours.

Do you sit in line and wait because filtering is so dangerous?

Filtering isn't dangerous if its done correctly. When I did my test training 26 years ago it was mandatory. You were required to "make progress". Police riders do it all the time and riders taking advanced tests are certainly expected to do it. Just do it with due care and attention, don't do it at high speed, don't cross a solid white line (it is permissible to cross any broken white line, if safe, including ladder hatching) an don't do it on the nearside!

Filtering isn't dangerous if its done correctly. When I did my test training 26 years ago it was mandatory. You were required to "make progress". Police riders do it all the time and riders taking advanced tests are certainly expected to do it. Just do it with due care and attention, don't do it at high speed, don't cross a solid white line (it is permissible to cross any broken white line, if safe, including ladder hatching) an don't do it on the nearside!

When I took my test and advance lessons you were expected to filter, if there was two or three lanes of traffic then filtering up the offside of one line of traffic means you must be filtering up the near side of another, unless of course you filter up the far offside (overtaking rather than filtering!) and risk flowing traffic in the opposite direction.

The op has stated the car moved over to the right of that lane (effectively blocking the biker from filtering) this would not look like someone trying to do a sneaky illegal passenger drop off (that being the case the car would pull closer to the kerb), the bike was correct to cautiously filter past on the nearside, the car passenger was incorrect to alight in the zigzag area.

All braised on the bike filtering, no speed

Both.

Really? Why?

If the car passenger oped the door into the path of the biker and the biker failed to stop I'd agree

However

Opening the door into the side of the biker is the fault of the car passenger, surely? There's rules to forbid doing so!

good to hear you ok , as an ex-driving instructor I would say there are faults on both sides here , the car didn't indicate to pull in and left a gap between it and the kerb enough for you to undertake (even though you shouldn't have ) the person opening the door should have made sure it was safe to do so - as not near the pavement , if you have legal cover on your insurance

give them a ring and see how they perceive it , they should put it clear for you atb .

Was the car parked or stopped to let a pedestrian cross? Actually a hard question to answer as there appears (although happy to be corrected) that there is no legal definition of 'parking'. So was the car driver in the wrong? Hard to say due to the above. Was the biker in the wrong? Again hard to say due to the above.

Put it down to an error of judgement and leave it there or spend thousands on legal fees fighting it in court. I doubt if any no win no fee claims companies will go near it due to the ambiguity.

From now on I will ensure that it is impossible for a bike to sneak up from behind and left of me, as I would not want a nugget with an inability to do any form of risk assessment, to hurt himself via his determination to fulfill his perceived right to undertake.

KW

Motorcyclists need to be aware that irrespective of fault they always come of worst. People make mistakes, both riders and drivers. Being I the right is all well and good but won't mean much if you're on a mortuary slab.

It's the same with the cycling arguments, if we all slow down, pay a bit more attention and realise that getting to the destination is more important than getting there quickly things might improve. And remember that human beings make mistakes, allow for it.

Paul - you need to do a little research. It is a relatively grey area, but the consensus is you don't undertake in the circumstances in the OP.

You and others seem determined to prove the OP was not doing anything wrong. Forgive me, but I beg to differ. I regard the manoeuvre as stupid and potentially dangerous. The fact that an accident happened makes my point.

Given you and others backing the OP, why don't you all have a whip round and fund a brief to take up your water-tight case. We both know it won't happen.