Single Shot Single Barrel Thread!!

shanekiely

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sprayed my baikal (it was worse for wear) in a sort of sandy camo to match where i've been rough shooting.

Even though I have a fancy new semi auto, the single is what I lean towards first. SO light and SO easy, 100% reliable with any cartridge.

Only thing is, as mentioned on here already, that Baikal extra full choke will absolutely destroy anything you manage to hit with it. It's a beast.

Is that Cooey 3" chambered I have one 2 3/4 chambered in fact I have seen a lot of Cooey's but never one like mine

not a scratch on the woodwork not a blemish inside or outside barrells or on metalwork ~I thought they came out the factory knocked about also have folding 410 old, thought of swapping that for a 410 Cooey

I also noticed some interesting books that Cooey is being displayed on ... "Canadian military atlas" is an example !

Here in the UK we so often hear of the USA involvement in WW II and in comparision less so the Canadians .... the Canadian safe guarded the UK after the dunkirk evacuation. Without the Canadians guarding the UK, we would have been at the mercy of any "land" invasion, should the nazis have ever gained air supremacy. Fortunately they were unable to succeed. We owe a great deal to the Canadians, far more than is acknowledge imho.

lve hear it said, that on D-day ...the reason the British landed at sword and gold beaches, and the Canadian on the middle beach "Juno" was to stop the Canadians, hanging a right and attacking the yanks. There wasn't much love lost between the Canadians and Yanks at the time .. but that was then and times change .. were all.loved up now ...

Anyhow l digress .. Cooeys l.think lm right in saying were manufactured in the USA and later "possibly, concurrently ?".. in Canada. A work horse of a shotgun, and like the Webley & Scott single model 100, likely as not, all the better for it. If l were to own one, l'd prefer the Canadian made version. Some people, l'm not one of them, occasionally refer to the yanks as our cousins. If that hypothetically was true ! .. l would consider the Canadians as our brothers. We have never thanked them enough for their sacrifice ... a brother is there when you shout out for help, and they come to help straight away, not wait two years to appease their electorate. The yanks have never thanked the Commonwealth forces for keeping the world a free place.or even recognised that was the case.

My pastime for the best part of 40 years has been military history ...

Edited by hoggysreels

Pic of my 410 pm me an email address never figured out putting pics on forum mind you they good pics of your Cooey

Hoggysreels

A bit of interst When I left school worked with a lad best mates up until about 25 then went our seperate ways only ever new his mother. Met up a few times weddings and as you get older funerals,he is now married again and moved to Florida. For some reason sent him a pic of my Land Rover sat in front of Lancaster bomber at East Kirkby Lincolnshire and the message came back My father did a tour and a half in Lancasters and survived.That was the first time in 50 years he had mentioned his father.Since then he has sent me copies of flying records, photos press cuttings service history His father was 617 sq joined after the dams raid but was on the Tirpitz raid awarded DFC and a Canadian

It amazes me how much we do not know. If anyone wants any research done from across the water as I live in Bomber County and know one or two well ino aviation history or any pics taken let me know

Cheers

Dfc.....he was a hero.

I was sat at work the other day, on the wall where I was eating my lunch was a plague to those who lost their lives in ww2 who had worked there, amongst them was one DFC . Never forget how lucky we are.

Incidentally on single shot shotguns, didn't the canadian air force have a single shot survival gun that could fire shotgun cartridges and also bullets? I believe it held the ammo in the stock?

I am on my phone at the minute, so unable to post pics... I have a pic of a lancaster bomber above my house, I live near bletchley park and we have regular fly overs

Thanks for your kind words, as a serving Canadian soldier it is nice to here. There is definitely a special relationship and understanding between the UK and Canada as well with Australia, New Zealand and even South Africans. Anyway I wanted to add the cooey guns have always been made in Canada winchester bought them out but continued to produce cooeys in Canada under the winchester name. In fact savage rim fires are lake field Canada guns although bought out by savage USA are still a Canadian lakefield.

Just finished a refurb on my Greener GP, woodwork stripped Sanded and oiled with "trade secrets' Metal work stripped cleaned and hot oil re blued where not temper sensitive, don't think it's come out too bad, all in for £100 :)

IMG_0611_zps3bf0d72f.jpg

IMG_0618_zps4dc5411d.jpg

IMG_0617_zps4e02a0d8.jpg

Ive a Webley & Scott .410 (1964) .. l find it nice to use and difficult to hit anything with it ... going to strip the varnish off the stock and then "ask for advice on PW lol .. stain or wax etc ?

Wouldn't mind a 20 bore single ... a sort of a halfway house shotgun.

The webley&scott has a beech wood stock and can be difficult to work up...this is mine i had since i was 13 years old...gave it a facelift 10 years ago re-blued (the steel takes blueing very well)...the stock i stripped -washed-dried-sanded-then i added a little bit of mahogany alcohol stain to linseed oil and rubbed it in of a couple of weeks with fine wire wool...(dont use water based stain)

some neat pieces here I especially like the martini action shotgun!!

isnt it nice.....most of the ones i have seen and used are tractor guns.....ive even seen them used for stiring pigs swill in the old days...then being used to shoot rats !!

I had been looking for GP for a while now and sadly a lot of them uneconomically beyond repair (barrel) But they are built like the proverbial out house. Strip down is a doddle and the action simple and 'tough as old boot' The martini action is a joy.

IMG_0622_zps33d3013a.jpg

I got hold of this for £100 not to bad condition, and really enjoyed the little project.