Single Shot Single Barrel Thread!!

shanekiely

Scott shot more ducks and geese than most of us see in a lifetime - then got 'reformed' and did superb work for wildfowl.

Kenzie, when he was a young man, did not have closed seasons - He was a poacher through and through and a ****** good one too.

He also got 'reformed' when he got to old for the marsh and used to do talks for the RSPB - for a little consideration.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you read scotts book, also one of my old favourites kenzie the wild goose man, The old days of professional fowlers and gentlemen gunners (with guides)

wonder what they would make of the GL proposals and summer fowling?

I have a copy Kenzie by willock, Morning flight by Scott and travel diaries of a naturalist also by Scott. I honestly couldn't say as Kenzie was a paid guide he might have seen summer shooting as more income but who knows (I do think you will find guides who are for this on the basis of income, which makes a mockery of the principle GL as stated in this thread)

Scott shot more ducks and geese than most of us see in a lifetime - then got 'reformed' and did superb work for wildfowl.

Kenzie, when he was a young man, did not have closed seasons - He was a poacher through and through and a ****** good one too.

He also got 'reformed' when he got to old for the marsh and used to do talks for the RSPB - for a little consideration.

The Reformation of a hunter is often mis-understood I feel. Jim Corbett, the tiger hunter has a reserve in his name and Hunter (who might have killed more Rhino than any other man) and under government pay to do so might have been the first to start the Camera safari. The hunter and the conservationist are almost the same and it starts with respect (something that can be seen in the GL threads, not to mention government about turns on coservation). So reformed or an ever present awareness? Non the less I feel Scott could have done more for those at his routes, perhaps that's political awareness in action?

Your right Kent. Scott went out of his way to hide his fowlers beginnings.

Kenzie was proud of what he had achieved but used to tell his audience, of RSPB devotees, that he regretted it.

He'd get his 'fee' for the talk and then be a retired fowler again - Can't blame him for that.

A blokes got to eat.

Hi

We digress a tad

Op asked for a single barrel thread

Whilst I'm interested in the people and the history realy its about the guns and how we use them today

Here's my one

3002E688-9759-4149-B27C-E4C32FE8217C_zps

Back on track

All the best

Of

Hi

We digress a tad

Op asked for a single barrel thread

Whilst I'm interested in the people and the history realy its about the guns and how we use them today

Here's my one

3002E688-9759-4149-B27C-E4C32FE8217C_zps

Back on track

All the best

Of

Kenzie - The Wild Goose Man.

Written by Colin Willock - Otherwise known as Towngun of Shooting Times fame.

Kenzie was up on the Wash in the Long Sutton area.

A hell of a character. Hard as nails.

Sorry - I digressed again.

Kenzie - The Wild Goose Man.

Written by Colin Willock - Otherwise known as Towngun of Shooting Times fame.

Kenzie was up on the Wash in the Long Sutton area.

A hell of a character. Hard as nails.

Sorry - I digressed again.

Not a problem Op likes it

I think they were all great in there own way and as a mans wages was a pittance many did it to feed the family

Kenzie I think just loved it

Only my thoughts

All the best

Of

Sorry bad spelling

Edited by Old farrier

He found it indeed, hiding at the back of the rest of the wood in the yard, it somehow slipped onto a lorry without anyone noticing...

Must run in areas they lured the ship onto the rocks and plundered it here

then used the wood to build the pub to sell the brandy from the wreck

All the best

Of

Just re found this thread, can it not be pinned?

Anyway, just got myself a Greener GP :) I'm in the process of refurbishing it now.

Q. I will use it on the clays, anyone know of a safety flag to fit it for when i'm walking about. If not i'll make one.

ps. Why did i wait so long before getting one of these, love it.

Kev56

I asked for it pinning as a source of single barrelled shotgun info (like the pump one) but understandable its got to be a popular and useful thread.

I have only seen those safety flags for semis and pumps, not sure how it would fit in a martini action single?

We have had 9mm singles upto a massive punt gun on this thread.....keep it up