Tips for fox shooting

goldypurple

I was lamping on a farm a few years ago and we lamped a bright pair of orange eyes, started calling and these eyes started bobbing up and down getting closer....my mate said "shoot" but I wanted to be 110% sure what it was...a few seconds later it turned out to be the farmers dog..I've also seen a cat lamped that came into the call, plus badgers...

Why are people even talking about eyes you need the full outline, period end of story no questions. My neighbour has a full tailed Border terrier bitch that often roams, its hard to tell it from a fox in the daylight. The amount of times I have been 90% sure of something and it eventually took the 10% slot is incredible. Not only do you need that 100% you need to see the backdrop is clear and the backstop adequate. If in the slightest doubt don't raise the gun

I think he was on about making sure it was a fox before sitting there trying to squeaking a muntjac for half an hour, ( that's how I took it anyway) . Just out of curiosity why is it whenever you post it always seems like you are having a go or want to start a debate.

I was lamping on a farm a few years ago and we lamped a bright pair of orange eyes, started calling and these eyes started bobbing up and down getting closer....my mate said "shoot" but I wanted to be 110% sure what it was...a few seconds later it turned out to be the farmers dog..I've also seen a cat lamped that came into the call, plus badgers...

cat ,fox , potato, potahto. Joke!

It was not so many years ago, a chap near Leeds shot his own son when lamping. A group of about 4 had split up and were on 2 different sides of a field. Makes me shudder even now.

When out on a mates farm, saw two cubs at around 10:30pm. Was not shooting so had nothing with me.

I think he was on about making sure it was a fox before sitting there trying to squeaking a muntjac for half an hour, ( that's how I took it anyway) . Just out of curiosity why is it whenever you post it always seems like you are having a go or want to start a debate.

Not so just quite a few "wrong things" get shot, did I touch a nerve? I cant positive ID a fox from its "bounce" so I bow to your experience on this. I have however turned down loads of shots because I wasn't 100% , sometimes it turns out I should have taken the shot but the thing is you cant turn back time or call back the bullet if you get it wrong. Its an important subject a life or death one no less at times.

If we cannot laugh at our mistakes an enjoy calling a non fox in, what are we?

When you can say its a fox because "it plainly and obviously is" and you have a good backstop / backdrop to the shot that's the time to take the shot, if you need to see how it walks, how its eyes reflect and a myriad of other things its not a shot to take. All of us need to take the greatest care as I am sure the dog that was on a lead attached to its owners hand, the badger watcher laid down with NV goggles etc were all thought to be foxes when they caught a bullet

It was not so many years ago, a chap near Leeds shot his own son when lamping. A group of about 4 had split up and were on 2 different sides of a field. Makes me shudder even now.

When out on a mates farm, saw two cubs at around 10:30pm. Was not shooting so had nothing with me.

Lad shot in South Cumbria this year, its an on going problem and a tragic one we can resolve

I think he was on about making sure it was a fox before sitting there trying to squeaking a muntjac for half an hour, ( that's how I took it

That's how I saw it too, which is a valid question And doesn't need twisting into a patronising sermon about safe shooting

Been using my photon for about six months now had one strange one in that time. Was out spoted eyes about 400yrds had a call and it would move then give another look did these a few times but not really coming in. Got off the quad so to walk to get closer getting closer more moving and looking my way, got closer looked like a fox sitting but something was still not right. Got to within about 150yds still sitting there, 100yds look just like a fox sitting new something was not right then it flew off it was a big owl. Also when I've bait a fox and been sitting in the hedge waiting with the nv it's come into my mined what if someone is poaching with nv and shoots at eyes. Good night Vienna me thinks.

Not so just quite a few "wrong things" get shot, did I touch a nerve? I cant positive ID a fox from its "bounce" so I bow to your experience on this. I have however turned down loads of shots because I wasn't 100% , sometimes it turns out I should have taken the shot but the thing is you cant turn back time or call back the bullet if you get it wrong. Its an important subject a life or death one no less at times.

If we cannot laugh at our mistakes an enjoy calling a non fox in, what are we?

When you can say its a fox because "it plainly and obviously is" and you have a good backstop / backdrop to the shot that's the time to take the shot, if you need to see how it walks, how its eyes reflect and a myriad of other things its not a shot to take. All of us need to take the greatest care as I am sure the dog that was on a lead attached to its owners hand, the badger watcher laid down with NV goggles etc were all thought to be foxes when they caught a bullet

mate your so matter of fact it's not worth entertaining you . You seem to think your the only one experienced enough to give advise on this forum . So I'm voting for a name change

(WATCH KENT) . And I never said you can positively Id a fox by its bounce , your just a bored old man twisting things.

Edited by jayDT10

Jay ignore him he doesn't shoot many foxes and doesn't live in a muntjac area. Everyone here has at times spent ages trying to call muntjac out of cover as they look very similar under the lamp and act similar till you get them in the open.

Like johnny owls are good under nv as you get the really good eyes looking back which are very fox like if they are standing in a field if at range it can take a bit of identifying. Other odd ones I've had are a roe laying down in a depression in stubble so you could just see its head and it raised it to every squeak but never looked right. The better your gear the easier getting the right identity is and why I don't believe an 8x 56 is the best scope for lamping you do need a bit more for identifying the hard ones. All my nv ones are shot at 10x minimum as that is the lowest I can get to with an archer that doubles the scope magnification

The OP asked foxing advice and the best advice I can give is basically what Kent said. Unless you can see its a fox and can see far enough behind to see a clear safe back stop it aint worth pulling the trigger.

The next piece is you won't kill foxes from your armchair (unless you have one in your foxbox), foxes have to eat when cubs are to feed the need to hunt is greater. Even the lousiest days can result with a fox.

Don't just go lamping walk round look for signs. Feathers usually bitten off, fur on wire fencing/hedges knowing your ground makes life a lot easier.

Lad shot in South Cumbria this year, its an on going problem and a tragic one we can resolve

Whereabouts? I live in S.Cumbria; haven't heard about this.

As above, if there's not too much food about 'baiting' can be a good option, with the added bonus you can draw the fox into a location you know to be safe. We sometimes do this when it's warm enough to sit in a high seat for hours on end. Fortunately for us, around here if you're not going downhill, then you're going up, so plenty of backstops.

Whereabouts? I live in S.Cumbria; haven't heard about this.

As above, if there's not too much food about 'baiting' can be a good option, with the added bonus you can draw the fox into a location you know to be safe. We sometimes do this when it's warm enough to sit in a high seat for hours on end. Fortunately for us, around here if you're not going downhill, then you're going up, so plenty of backstops.

It was actually in November last year. Broughton-in-Furness.

I shot one at 6.30 this evening, it had come out to investigate a field I topped this afternoon. They seem to find fresh cut grass interesting, lots of slugs, insects and stuff exposed. I think it's the one that killed 4 hens and a cockerel at Easter.

I shot one at 6.30 this evening, it had come out to investigate a field I topped this afternoon. They seem to find fresh cut grass interesting, lots of slugs, insects and stuff exposed. I think it's the one that killed 4 hens and a cockerel at Easter.

Makes mousing a lot easier, Have watch them for ages on cut fields interest wanes a day or two after the crop is in in my experience. I've found these hard to call off cut fields but come in well to mouse call if your on the fields.

To me, the biggest help to shooting foxes is fieldcraft. Being out there, spending time, not just wandering about, but also spending time in a corner or high seat (or even a tree, if you're young and energetic!) with some good visibility.

Had a fox on Saturday evening that I'd seen on Friday evening, and suspect that I heard him moving around on Thursday evening too (thought it might have been a badger at the time).

Foxes are creatures of habit. They tend to follow the same routes, given the chance. If you can learn (roughly) when and where a fox will be while checking for his food sources, then you can quite easily get him to come to you, within 20-30 yards.

For me, this fox : Thursday. Rabbiting. About 9pm. Heard what I thought was a badger, moving around in the field behind me (saw a badger a couple of minutes before. In hindsight, it may have been badger disturbing fox)

Friday : rabbiting. About 8:30pm. Saw 2 foxes, within a minute of each other. One was heading up to where I'd heard that movement on Thursday. Lightbulb time.

Saturday : Give it a go. Out at 7:30 pm. Hidden away with 12 bore, nice and quiet. Sit, wait, watch, listen. About 9:20, I heard neighbours peacocks kicking off, in the direction fox had appeared from. Also, a couple of pheasants making a racket before and after that. 9:30pm, fox. 25 yards. Job done.

They will take new born lambs on occasion. I've never seen it, but I've heard of it. Happens with twins or triplets, if one is very small and weak. Basically, the ewe is trying to keep the lambs with her, and interpose herself between the threat and the lamb. With 2 or 3 lambs, if newborn, she can't manage that.

Used to shoot a military training area with a game shoot we where not allowed to lamp as someone had got it a little wrong and shoot a solider on sentry in the head luckily he had a helmet on and just ended up with a very sore neck, never found out what cartridge was being used.

100 % or no shot for me.

Edited by welshwarrior