Result......tenuous permission secured from helping a stranger

I've just had the best result possible. Sat on the train on a boring trip back out the city to home in Oxfordshire last Thursday, and overheard the woman sat opposite me talking to her son who had a minor prang in his car. I had a friend who is a panel beater, so gave her my business card and said give me a call if it wasn't too bad and I'd give her the contact details. Cut a long story short, she phoned me today, Tuesday, got chatting and turns out she works on a farm.....bingo.......just secured 500 acres iof rabbit/hare/crows and general vermin shooting......result!!

Question for you experienced shooters, I have SGC and shoot beretta 682 and beretta A300....but what calibre should I go for on FAC? I was thinking .22 centre fire and 30 06??

Thanks

Hi Lucky,

That's why I'm asking what you'd recommend for vermin and ground game, as I was assuming and need a nudge in the right direction!! Yes, it's the owner and yes he has given permission for me to use his land to gain FAC cert.......

Rimfire for rabbits and crows on the deck. CF might be pushing it but .222/223 will do fox and small deer if required but for now .22lr and .17hmr are the top choices! Both rimfire, justification for 2 similar can be an issue for some forces

30.06 is for red deer and wild boar or "dangerous game"!

.22 CF is going to get expensive for bunnies!

Edited by HDAV

.22lr for night-time lamping of rabbits and any other lawful quarry as near enough silent

.17hmr for longer range rabbit and fox and any other lawful quarry

.22 centrefire for fox and any other lawful quarry

Plus moderators and expanding ammo for all rifles.

Is what I'd ask for...

Thanks lads....trip to lovalls coming on I feel......

Cyrus, yes cf was for foxes, I looked it up on internet and t said .22rf for rabbits max. Foxes etc then cf.......when I get established maybe you'd like to join me for a day Cyrus?!?

Hi Lucky,

That's why I'm asking what you'd recommend for vermin and ground game, as I was assuming and need a nudge in the right direction!! Yes, it's the owner and yes he has given permission for me to use his land to gain FAC cert.......

I would keep it simple and go for 22rf 17hmr if you think you need it and a 223 if you plan on shooting fox aswell.

Happy days, well done mate,

You do know its a slippery slope getting your fac, ie more guns and more cabinets ha ha ha,

Apply for 22 rimfire, 17 hmr and 223 cf, you have good enough reason to own them all,

Happy sniping,

Atb

Flynny

I'd have a .22LR and a .22hornet

Yep something very cheap to shoot and very quiet in the LR and the .22 Hornet will do as much as you can on crows and foxes and makes a very good hare and rabbit rifle to boot at longer ranges and higher winds than the hmr can cope with. Very much doubt 30-06 as you have no Deer consent, an FAC does not entitle you to have any rifle and each rifle needs good reason. 30-06 is not widely accepted as a fox and vermin round and its likely the cops will limit you to lower power for your needs

Lol @ the 30-06 good luck on first application

Head in the clouds there pal I'd stick with the .22lr and .17hmr on first application

I would agree. I think a little experience maybe required. I'm not trying to take the mick but Lloydi will have plenty to learn with a 22lr and an hmr let alone a centre fire.

Running and walking and all that.

Ok, so after reading all your helpful comments and taking advice on board, I've found a nice Remington......It's just gonna take a while as FAC officer has asked I go out and get some experience with other FAC holders first....makes sense...so I have two friends that are goign to, but are busy at mo, so would any of you be willing to take me out and give me a few weeks experience with a letter stating that to give to FEO??

In the meantime for plinking rabbits, I have brought an air arms S410 with a Scope package (second Hand as I'll trade it in when I get my FAC), for £550. Looks a mean bit of kit and I can transfer the scope to rifle when I get it!!

Went out on to my permission yeterday and took a rabbit, a crow and 4 pigeons, alas. all with my A300, but A good count for anewbie for 3 houirs work I felt........

ATB

Lloydi

Ok, so after reading all your helpful comments and taking advice on board, I've found a nice Remington......It's just gonna take a while as FAC officer has asked I go out and get some experience with other FAC holders first....makes sense...so I have two friends that are goign to, but are busy at mo, so would any of you be willing to take me out and give me a few weeks experience with a letter stating that to give to FEO??

Sounds a lot like pre grant mentoring....