The Island with Bear Grylls

955i

I found it really interesting how two of the lads cried after killing the cayman but I guess Bear summed it up when he said that most people simply don't appreciate where food comes from. Even if you know a packet of beef comes from a cow that's different from putting a knife in the back of it's head and watching it breathe it's last. The only thing I can fault them for is not killing the poor thing as soon as they were back at the camp.

To be honest.... I get very upset every time I pull the trigger on a deer.. instant remorse... but then.. I do it for a reason beyond enjoying the hunt.

I have pretty much stopped shooting pigeon as I get too upset if I see a pricked bird flapping round..

And before anyone says anything, I don't see that as a weakness, I see it as part of my humanity..... when I stop feeling like that it will be time to stop shooting living creatures!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly the vast majority of people won't/don't

studies that have been done by the military show a depressingly high percentage of failures in survival situations.. particularly when alone The killer (apart from the obvious immediate danger of dehydration) is mindset... the first thing you are trained to do is set up a routine... water collection, fuel gathering, foraging etc.. that delays or hopefully removes the feeling of hopelessness.. if that sets in, coupled with dehydration and lack of food then you are basically dead... you just sit back and give up!

We shouldn't criticise them overly, they probably represent how 90% of the poulation would be... its all too easy to sit here and shout at the TV and criticise etc.. but at the end of the day, without decent training, some knowledge/skills and a very positive mindset very few of us would do any better/different and then... throw group dynamics into the melting pot and anything could happen!

there's a really telling episode covering this on Ray Mears show with a pilot who crashed alone, body found months later and he had water and food but had apparently just given up - the mind is a powerful and dangerous thing in these circumstances

I for one would love the opportunity to do something like this but then it's always been something I have loved, as a teen a group of us used to go camping with the minimal of things and it taught us a lot but then not everyone understands humanity.

Look at this French clip with subtitles

Nice clip Thegazbo.

I really like the island with bear. I really enjoyed the airing of the Cayman from field to plate, it brought home some reality as to how people used to ( some still ) survive without Tesco's. It is reality television, that is a given so drama and friction between the team is almost inevitable to make good viewing.

I also like that the majority of the team are "normal" blokes...but I did wonder why no women were present? It makes you think of how you would forage, hunt and survive. It certainly open debate at my house anyway!

BRNDL

If I ever find myself in a situation like this I just hope it's Mears not Grylls that's in the same boat. Shelter, fire and food would be sorted in 20 minutes whilst Bear is trying his hardest to find mindlessly dangerous and completely needless things to do.

It's probably beer talking but I'd be off looking for something big and meaty to kill before sorting shelter. :lol: Seriously can't see me sitting round moaning of an empty belly, after 2 days it's me or one of the other contestants. :lol::lol:

Edited by Hamster

i am really enjoying it .....

but it shows how much **** gets chucked in the sea...all that litter on that beach

tragic isn't it, we went island hopping in Thailand and New Zealand and the common factor was every island had a ring of flotsam at the high tide mark - although it means every castaway has access to plastic bottles so every cloud :|

I think its quite good to watch and it is easy sitting at home saying i would do this and that, but to catch a pelican they should put the ne out again to catch some of those catfish but use them as bait for the pelicans by securing them to the bottom close in where they Were feeding, then get some sticks pushed in about 2ft under the surface a few feet away from the fish then spread the fishing net they have over the fish and over the sticks loosely. So then hopefully the greedy ol pelican sees fish and not the net dives and gets tangled up head lopped off with machete and eaten for their Sunday roast(possibly).

They're both pretenders. I'd want Mors with me.

Was Grylls pretending when he passed selection for 21 SAS ®? :rolleyes: , or climbed everest for that matter. If he didn't sensationalise he wouldn't have a show and I think the public would be worse off for it.

Enjoyed the show, thought they should've killed the Cayman as soon as they captured it, but understand why they had apprehensions. The long haired moaning one reminds me Andy from little Britain! (guy faking it in the wheel chair).

Was Grylls pretending when he passed selection for 21 SAS ®? :rolleyes: , or climbed everest for that matter. If he didn't sensationalise he wouldn't have a show and I think the public would be worse off for it.

Enjoyed the show, thought they should've killed the Cayman as soon as they captured it, but understand why they had apprehensions. The long haired moaning one reminds me Andy from little Britain! (guy faking it in the wheel chair).

It's a well known fact that both 'fake' their programs which deal with survival or bushcraft, staying in luxury accommodation, driving to a shoot or getting dropped in by helicopter to a remote location in order to give the impression of having trekked there. Which is fine for entertainment purposes but does assume that either are capable of extended periods of living, not just surviving, in remote hostile environments.

Only one man who instructs in bushcraft /survival that I know of has actually lived comfortably for years, with his family in one of the most extreme parts of the world and that man is Mors Kochanski. Hence my preference to have him with me.

With Edward everything seems like a battle with nature, must fight for water, food, fire etc. But at least with Ray he has the right mindset, everything is actually already there to live quite comfortably without stress for a number of years.

Neither have actually ever proved that they are capable of doing so though.

Edited by mick miller

The Cayman was suspect the end of its snout was damaged and what was it doing out in the open and did not dash off when they approached , they spent 12 hours rubbing sticks together when one of them was wearing glasses which they could have used to magnifie the strong sunlight into burning dry tinder quicker, not a single bow and arrow has been made and dont they realise those pelicans are eating fish right on the edge of the beach, would like to think we PW members would far better at it and no tears :lol:

My exact thoughts too re glass/sunlight/tinder! Must have been glass jars lying about the beach that they could have used. They only got a couple of limpets/snails when the video showed hundreds on the rock but they couldn't get them off-what about hitting them with a rock or using knife to prize off? Total muppets.

Also stockport guy is an embarrassment to England! Should have killed cayman sooner but in fairness to them the 2 guys did a good job capturing BUT no mention of "top jaw rope" - didn't they ever watch steve Irwin?? 3 or 4 of the guys have potential and im sure would do fine if they knew some basic survival, and think they`ll do well.

All in all I think its an interesting watch and shows how much of our hunter/gatherer skills have been lost in a couple of generations of city dwellers/soft lads. Id like to think a group of pigeonwatchers would have faired much better.

If I ever find myself in a situation like this I just hope it's Mears not Grylls that's in the same boat. Shelter, fire and food would be sorted in 20 minutes whilst Bear is trying his hardest to find mindlessly dangerous and completely needless things to do.

Ray Mears is good but he often rolls up in his landy with a trailer full of pots and pans. He certainly knows huge amounts but reckon Bear would have him in a fight!

Hmm, I'm sure Edward's real life skills and approach are much less sensationalist and practical than his on screen personsa portrays.

I don't think he'd deliberately seek out some camel dung to squeeze a drink from if in similar, real life, circumstances. But I guess we'll never know as that's pretty much all we ever see. Which is a shame.