welcome changes to dog laws

thegazbo

While it may be a move in the right direction I don't think it goes anywhere to combat the problem of these (Sometimes fatal) "unprovoked" dog attacks. So much attention and blame is put on certain breeds (Usually the Bull Terrier Types) because of "media hype" that many poeple overlook or forget the fact that any breed of dog is capable of attacking and causing severe injuries.

There has beed threads in the past about PW about members who have had their dogs attacked while out exercising them so many members will recognise the potential problems. I was once bitten and needed medical attention by a colie dog which was on a lead while out walking in Townley Hall Park with no provocation whatsoever from me, which is why I think laws need to be brought into force to protect the "general public" while out in public places like having to have ALL DOGS (Regardless of their bred) muzzled while out in public places. This may on the face of it seem a little extreme but the public deserve some sort of protection while out and about in public places and going about their lawful pursuits/recreation in ANY and ALL public place.

As for a dog that attacks an intruder while that intruder is trespassing (And quite likely/often up to no good) then that intruder has nothing to complain about a dog that is protecting the property. If they don't have good reason to be there then they should have to put up with and accept the consequences of their "misdemeanour or intentions"!

This post may well seem a bit "controversial" but I am quite firm in my beliefs on this matter!

Muzzling dogs in public places certainly seems like a good idea to me - all I need to do is teach my dog to fetch his ball by carrying it in his front paws while running on his back paws and his exercise will be sorted. And long may you remain firm in your unrealistic beliefs.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see more serious fines and responsibility put to dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs. For instance in France you can be fined for not carrying a plastic bag to pick up your dogs mess while walking your dog. One step in the right direction. Perhaps people who are caught multiple times should be banned from owning dogs.

How about a proper system of licensing to stop people who have no reason to own dogs from having them .

Also what about when delivering leaflets pushing them through a letter box as requested by a notice on the door your hand is attacked by a dog ? No barks or other signs of an animal just grabbed .

Welcome the new laws regards attacks on private property in regards to health workers etc,and attacks on guidedogs,aswel as upping the sentance for owners whos dogs that kill.however there was a case not long ago where a young girl was attacked on private property but she had entered the garden univited would the owner be prosecuted under these new laws?

muzzling in public for all dogs would hinder playin ball etc but would help protect people,my dog has rubbish recall and likes to jump on people for fuss, so when in parks shes on a 50foot lead,however other owners of dogs that have rubbish recalk think its ok for their dog to run up to my young son,thankfully theyve all been friendly and ive had him close by but you never know,muzzles on them would provide some protection?

But this seems to punish the majority for a minority of bad owners,dont have any answers that dont involve alot of money

The muzzle all dogs in public argument really grates me, why on earth should we penalise the majority for the wrongful actions of the minority?

The new laws are a step forward, especially the inclusion for attacks on working dogs, it means that if it does happen there are now greater powers that can be brought to bear, which in turn hopefully acts as a deterrent for others in the future. Same as all punishments for every other law, they are a deterrent.

At last, a post with some common sense in it. I also support the idea of stricter penalties but, as usual, it's not the law abiding majority that cause the majority of problems!

So if I get burgled and my dog bites the intruder. I go to prison! And burglar probably gets some compensation.

Nope, you need to re-read the initial thread, especially the bit about trespassers.

The muzzle all dogs in public argument really grates me, why on earth should we penalise the majority for the wrongful actions of the minority?

The new laws are a step forward, especially the inclusion for attacks on working dogs, it means that if it does happen there are now greater powers that can be brought to bear, which in turn hopefully acts as a deterrent for others in the future. Same as all punishments for every other law, they are a deterrent.

these days its arguable if its a minority of idiot dog owners out there. i agree with muzzling if the dogs are off the lead if everyone did it there would be a lot less bites and you could walk your dog without fear of it being attacked. if the dogs on the lead and in control no need to muzzle it. on private land no muzzling if its your land nobody else should be there. muzzuling would be like seat belts unpopular but saves injuries.

Edited by overandunder2012

these days its arguable if its a minority of idiot dog owners out there. i agree with muzzling if the dogs are off the lead if everyone did it there would be a lot less bites and you could walk your dog without fear of it being attacked. if the dogs on the lead and in control no need to muzzle it. on private land no muzzling if its your land nobody else should be there. muzzuling would be like seat belts unpopular but saves injuries.

So, out of interest, how do I work my dog across one of the farms I shoot over which is criss crossed by public footpaths, with regular strayers? Also, one of my dogs is exercised by doing a lot of ball retrieving in my local PUBLIC park...might be a bit more difficult when she's muzzled don't you think?

So, out of interest, how do I work my dog across one of the farms I shoot over which is criss crossed by public footpaths, with regular strayers? Also, one of my dogs is exercised by doing a lot of ball retrieving in my local PUBLIC park...might be a bit more difficult when she's muzzled don't you think?

youd have to do ball exercise on private land and you would be ok, on public land you would be subject to the same laws as everyone else.

you'd have to do ball exercise on private land and you would be ok, on public land you would be subject to the same laws as everyone else.

OK great and ideal for those that have this facility but that leaves the rest of us who have only access to parks and common land locally ****** does it not, typical "I'm all right Jack attitude"

OK great and ideal for those that have this facility but that leaves the rest of us who have only access to parks and common land locally ****** does it not, typical "I'm all right Jack attitude"

guess its a balance between peoples rights to walk / exercise the dog un muzzled in public against the injuries prevented by muzzles. as i said it wouldnt be popular but neither were seat belts. in a britain were we are as restricted as we are in most things in life im amazed it hasnt already happened.

guess its a balance between peoples rights to walk / exercise the dog un muzzled in public against the injuries prevented by muzzles. as i said it wouldnt be popular but neither were seat belts. in a britain were we are as restricted as we are in most things in life im amazed it hasnt already happened.

Keep that thought going and you'll lose your guns. To ensure that you don't flip out and shoot someone, remove your ability to shoot someone by removing the tool. It won't be popular but neither were seat belts and look how many lives that saved.

To be honest it'd be that unpopular I can't see any party risking the loss of millions of dog owner votes.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Keep that thought going and you'll lose your guns. To ensure that you don't flip out and shoot someone, remove your ability to shoot someone by removing the tool. It won't be popular but neither were seat belts and look how many lives that saved.

law says you carry a gun unloaded in a slip most people do that without question, its just common sense safety first. sadly many people cant be trusted with a dog of the lead and are a right problem for others. if you want to take the question a stage further is 1 injured child less important than the right to play catch with the dog in the park? i dont mean that in a insulting way. i wish all dog owners were responsible and i didnt have to think muzzles are a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Apropos to all this.

I was visiting a customer today who lives in a maisonette where the gated access serves 4 properties. As I walked up the path, 2 JRTs came hurtling towards me, round the back of me and one leapt up and bit my thigh. I promptly aimed my size 8 squarely in its ribs, whereupon an old harridan from an adjacent maisonette appeared and accused me of "kickin er dog".

I suggested that, if she had kept the dogs under control, I would not have needed to defend myself. At which point a muscular chav appeared and started to threaten me with violence for daring to defend myself against his innocent pooches.

A quick 999 resolved that one, as the police were there in about 3 minutes.

So the question to the PW massive is - How do I defend myself in future.

The constables attending said that a walking stick (which I would not normally need) could be construed as an offensive weapon

Edited by amateur

If a walking stick is construed as an offensive weapon,then the police will be busy down the old peoples home tomorrow.

If you happen to have a walking stick with you, and you happen to be attacked,and you happen to defend yourself with walking stick because you fear you will be injured or worse.Then there is nothing that anyone could say :good:

Just don't go putting nails in the end ,filling it with lead and carving "killing stick" along the length, all these could give the game away :oops:

its a principal called "instant arming" if you needed the stick because of a dodgy knee , limp or such then using it as a weapon when attacked would negate it being an offensive weapon and you simply used what was to hand to defend yourself.

what trade do you do Amateur? if your a plumber and had an adjustable wrench in a side pocket for work, a carpenter with a hammer on a loop on your belt, a carpet fitter with one of those carpet pushing things........you could instantly arm yourself to defend your self......... most work men could justify a torch?

something like that would and could be useful to consider in future

and i am against compulsary muzzling, its unenforcable and impractical......and un-needed, you need to punish those who break existing laws better.

the definition of public land is a tricky one, i know highways are just those open to the public access......a lot of the land i ferret and shoot over is public land, it has public footpaths accross, in fact i have even been asked to ferret public land, a parks trust, a site of special scientific interest, car parks and allotments........could be very difficult for my canine assistant to catch those rabbits that slip the net with a muzzle.

so, burglars are exempt….could all burglars please wear a black and white stripy top..this will help my dog ID you…. as for the french onion seller…we need to cancel the order…

good to know you can actually get more time in prison if your dog bites someone than a drink driver knocking down someone :lol:

britain has talent..i just wish the law makers did too

Muzzling all dogs is like restricting all vehicles to 5mph as someone might be irresponsible and drive too fast and kill someone. Bring in licensing for dog ownership, including background checks, home checks, drug tests and if you dont pass th all you don't get tge right to own a dog! There should also be spot checks for gun licence holders, anyone found with illegal drugs in there system should have there licence revoked.

what trade do you do Amateur? if your a plumber and had an adjustable wrench in a side pocket for work, a carpenter with a hammer on a loop on your belt, a carpet fitter with one of those carpet pushing things........you could instantly arm yourself to defend your self......... most work men could justify a torch?

something like that would and could be useful to consider in future

I am a ******** distributor with perfectly healthy, but recently dog-nipped legs, so have no legitimate use for a stick or weighted tools. I guess that I will have to rely upon my steel toe-capped size eights.

The coppers suggested that I should give up on the customer, but I am loath to do that. She is a disabled lady who relies upon my supplying her with household goods. It's just the chavs and their JRTs that are queering the pitch