Solid subsonic .22lr ammo

When looking for subsonic ammo all I seem to be able to source are hollow points. Coming from air rifle hunting where the dome head is always the recommended pellet due to the superior accuracy I would like to try some solid dome subsonic .22lr ammo.

Is it available? Are there benefits regards to a solid dome when it comes to accuracy in a .22lr round?

I don't have an issue with the HP's at all but I'm interested in finding the most accurate combination possible. I'm a bit sceptical about the HP being a better hunting round as a solid round to the noggin will do the job just as well. In my opinion the best hunting round is the most accurate when head shots only are concerned.

Any help/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Ben.

I might be being dense and not understanding the post but if you're asking are there non hollow point subsonic .22 the answer is yes, there are loads and loads, I have Eley, CCI and a couple of types of obscure euro ammo and thats only whats in my cupboard at the moment... I'd think any RFD would stock at least a few types...

HP hunting wise it's purely a matter of energy transfer, it's possible to shoot straight through small game with non expanding and not actually kill the quarry so maximum chance of a humane kill means maximum energy dump so HP or frangible are the way

Some round head and flat nose target ammo is a little bit faster at about 1085 ft/sec and some would say a little noisier.

Try some higher end target ammo like Eley Tenex. They are very consistent and accurate and will kill rabbits no problem. Dead is dead and at £10.25 a box of 50 i'll be sticking with HP rounds at about four quid a box.

Good luck with your research it'll be interesting to know your findings. Cheers.

Thanks guys, I don't have a problem with the lethality of HP's I just wondered if solids were more accurate and if so why aren't they as popular. However if they are 80% more expensive then it's no wonder they aren't popular for hunting.

Sorry Mighty Prawn only just read your reply. Energy dump is all very well but surely if you're taking head shots only then placement is the main factor to be considered? Unfortunately my rfd only has subsonic hollows and super solids, I'll have a ring around and compare prices. Do you find them to be more accurate than hollows Prawn?

Sorry Mighty Prawn only just read your reply. Energy dump is all very well but surely if you're taking head shots only then placement is the main factor to be considered? Unfortunately my rfd only has subsonic hollows and super solids, I'll have a ring around and compare prices. Do you find them to be more accurate than hollows Prawn?

Personally I dont see a huge difference HP's to solids unless youre talking match grade solids but I find even then its only the difference between a 1/4 and a 1/2 group at 50 metres.

If you can guarantee a sweet spot head shot every time solids will do it - no brain left is going to kill anything, but the HP does give better margins for error where a potential wounding can be a definite kill with the HP

If your shooting rabbits and going for head shot and try solids line up more on the neck, this will cut down on jawed rabbits that with solids for me seem to get away better than a HP.

My findings are that generally standard practice ammo, target solid like Eley club or standard fly a little flatter....but not much!

Thanks again for the replies.

It's just interesting to hear the different preferences between air rifle ammo and rimfire ammo.

For air rifle use anything but a headshot on rabbits is frowned upon so the ammo providing the best accuracy (dome) is generally used.

I personally never take anything other than a headshot (perhaps I'm being too cautious of rimfire capability) with the .22lr but what I'm gathering is that people use HP ammo in case they need to take a chest shot to impart maximum internal damage. Correct me if I am wrong.

However there seems to be very little information regarding the differences in accuracy between a solid and hollow point round. Either this is because there is negligible difference or because there is less emphasis on accuracy with a rimfire?

Either way it would be nice to know for definite. A hollow point pellet is useless beyond 25yds where a dome is good for 35/40yds. If a hollow point bullet is good for 50-60yds could a solid dome be as good but at 70yds+ is what I'm getting at.

Solids are a little more accurate in all three on my .22's and I often use them on rabbits. Virtually all .22lr solids used for target shooting are subsonic by design and are very quiet when using a moderator.

.22LR rifles are often picky about what ammunition they prefer, you need to try every type you can lay your hands on and give them a fair trial.

I find a gut shot rabbit will run, whether shot with a HP or a solid and a head shot rabbit won't, accuracy wins every time.

Here's a short video I made comparing three different HP and three types of solids at 65 yards - although the test wasn't very scientific, the solids showed better groups and the most expensive Tenex showing the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRw_xDtrFc

Solid .22subs were the rabbit mainstay up until a relatively short time ago, HP were generally only available to the special few (as were moderators), they did the job fine for a long time.

The slow evolution to HP (and moderators) was down to common sense, animal welfare, H&S, shooting organisation pressure, etc., etc.

Lots of solid HP still about, but for field work the availability/take up of HP subs over the last few years has grown dramatically. :good:

i use cci standard target ammo (solid) for all my shooting live and target. my gun use to love eley subsonic hollow points but then went off them. last batch of 500 i bought cost me £62 which is crazy when 4 years earlier i was paying £22.50 for 500!

i asked at my local if he had any cheap target stuff for me to try at the range, he suggested this cci stuff at £30/500 and ive been using ever since. its not one hole groups or anything like that but it shoots 1/2" or there abouts on a still day if i do my bit. as for rabbits i only head shoot as a rule so its not really an issue then not been hollow points.

Yes it's legal, I ask a previous firearms officer and was told it's legal to shoot live quarry with an air rifle using dome head/solid ammo at sub 12ft/lb so it's certainly legal using solid rimfire ammo at nearly 100ft/lb.

I'd love to hear others opinions on this, I can only go off what I've been told so as far as I'm concerned I've covered my rear. I can't do any more than that.

Edited by bicykillgaz

I remembered a couple of years ago taking this shot.

711b2352-3a65-4984-97e4-4f15b6d46b50_zps

It was just before my eye's give up for the open sights but it was over 120paces, neck shot and the ammo was Winchester T22 or Geco 22 standard velocity solids.

In the picture you can just see the recovered bullet sat on a stone!

U.

Hollow point ammunition, with inherent greater expansion and energy transfer (killing power) has to be more humane than solids assuming equal accuracy.

I shoot better than half inch groups at 80 yards using (hollow point) .22lr SK Subs. That is all I need to head shoot rabbits. Beyond that the .17hmr takes over. There will be fractionally more accurate Match Bullets for target shooting but I do not think they are as appropriate for shooting rabbits because of the lack of expansion as the energy decreases at distance.

The ballistics of bullet or pellet heads cannot be directly compared. A lot changes as weight and speed increases. Just choose a bullet that is the most accurate and humane when fired from your specific rifle.

"There will be fractionally more accurate Match Bullets for target shooting but I do not think they are as appropriate for shooting rabbits because of the lack of expansion as the energy decreases at distance."

I disagree that they are inappropriate for hunting due to the fact that a headshot using expanding ammo or solid ammo will kill. IF solid ammunition is inherently more accurate (barrel depending) due to a higher BC than hollow point then I just don't see the need for hollow point ammunition and I am surprised it seems to be the preferred choice for hunting.

The transfer of energy to the target surely only becomes a factor when a body shot is taken, where maximum internal damage is required in case a direct hit isn't achieved. For example a through and through with a solid to shoulder could lead to a slow death whereas a hollow point which expanded might impart enough energy to provide a clean kill. But for a headshot whether it's HP or solid round that rabbit is dead. The fact the HP expands is inconsequential.

There for, if you only take headshots the most accurate round should surely be the preferred choice?

It's like predator polymag pellets being labelled the best hunting pellet due to the energy transfer to the target. Which is complete garbage because beyond 20 yards you may as well throw stones at the rabbit because you'd be more accurate.

The best hunting round should always surely be the most accurate when only headshots are taken?

I use almost exclusively Winchester Super X, HP subsonics for our bunny shooting. They're all headshot as its the only way our dealer will accept them, or rather they are worth more to us headshot. They do the biz impressively at all bunny ranges and retain ALL their weight on expansion. Good ammo.

i would say the reason most shops stock a wider choice of sub sonic hollow points than any other type of lr round and the fact that there is a greater demand for the said round and the way the hollow points have taken over in the hunting of rabbits etc over the last few years is due to it being a better choice of hunting round,

just my opinion

colin