Hares

tonker

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hares living in warrens and having kits then...it will be snowing tomorrow I reckon.

The pics have gone again!

Dude, it is/was a hare.

Not that it bothers me anyway, I have more hare than rabbits on our farm, hundreds of the bloody things.

Edited by kyska

Again I witnessed its behaviour, where it appeared from what it's eye colour was, it's limb proportions, ear size and the only thing making this unusual compared to a regular rabbit is it's tan colour. Seen a few black rabbits on the farm over the years as well as a number of tan so perhaps I don't see it as that uncommon.

Anyway back to eating my rabbit with rocket salad sandwich.

Still does not change it from being a hare though I'm afraid.

No shame in admitting that you have got it wrong, just learn from it. It would be different if it was a non quarry protected species though, as I do believe that it is incumbent on us who hunt to know exactly what our quarry is.

Again I witnessed its behaviour, where it appeared from what it's eye colour was, it's limb proportions, ear size and the only thing making this unusual compared to a regular rabbit is it's tan colour. Seen a few black rabbits on the farm over the years as well as a number of tan so perhaps I don't see it as that uncommon.

Edited by Penelope

Tell me how you came to the conclusion it's a hare and not a rabbit?

I've given multiple reasons why it's a rabbit and not a hare and yet people haven't given one iota of evidence to suggest it's a hare. Seems strange that all these experts have announced it a hare but can't provide a distinguishable feature from the picture that suggests it as being one.

Teal, if that is the photo that is 10000000000000% a hare. The proportions, the colour of hair , and the size scream this. When teaching here in Germany one of the recognition factors given to differentiate between the two is that a hare looks hairy and a rabbit looks fury....................thoes that have had both in their hands will understand I am sure. To the OP, I take it you ate this animal? If so you will have immediatly noticed the much darker coloured meat and different flavor from little rabbits I would assume?

If it's this photo: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c208/bjamin02/P6140097_zpsfc415f37.jpg

Then it is definitely a hare. I'm not sure why you are contesting it is, as there is no doubt that it is a hare.

It is the colour of a hare, not rabbit.it hasn`t got the dark undercoat that the rabbits have, It is the shape of a hare not rabbit. it`s back legs are twice as long as a rabbits. all its features are that of a hare. If you can`t tell the difference it`s time to

sell the guns.

Edited by malantone

Quite simply because it does not look like and only has superficial resemblance to the others which are most certainly rabbits, so, therefore must be a hare. Basic level quarry recognition skills really, something that anyone who shoots live quarry should be completely up to speed on before they go anywhere near a gun.

Tell me how you came to the conclusion it's a hare and not a rabbit?

I've given multiple reasons why it's a rabbit and not a hare and yet people haven't given one iota of evidence to suggest it's a hare. Seems strange that all these experts have announced it a hare but can't provide a distinguishable feature from the picture that suggests it as being one.

Edited by Penelope

It looks like a hare to me. Compare the length of the back leg bones (top vs bottom) for the brown bunny and do the same for any of the grey bunnies. The ratios are very different (assuming the photo bucket picture is the right one).

Chalk it up to experience as we all make mistakes from time to time. The trick is not to keep making the same mistake.

Seriously Ben stop digging just let it go mate

No one one here cares if you saw this animal come up from a hole or parachute in from 10,000 feet ITS A HARE

I often see this, people defend there position to save face even if they know deep down they are wrong, persist in your denial and people will loose respect, admit that maybe, just maybe you got It wrong & learn from ....... But who knows maybe I'm wrong, I could happen

don't be silly they can't be air hostess the ears would knock stuff off the dolly trolley as they went up the isle :)

but at least they wouldn't have to worry about passengers trying to look up their skirts whilst they bend for the lower levels of the dolly! (apparently...)

Funny that you still need to argue the toss , not one other person has identified it as a rabbit rather than a hare and quite frankly by you insisting it is your making yourself look silly .

Just except the fact you need to improve your identification skills as I pointed out in my other post.

At the end of the day its entirely up to you if you shoot hares or not but at least know what you are shooting so you can make a informed decision , what would happen for instance if that particular farmer has not given you permission to shoot hares only rabbits , you could quite easily be looking for a new permission !