Lane 2 hoggers

JimLondon

Not that I use motorways much (about once a month) but whenever I do it seems more and more drivers are hogging the middle lane and either sticking to the limit or hovering just below it.

What is it with drivers,does anyone on here do it?,have you noticed it more and more or is it me being a grumpy old ***?

Moan over!

ATB

Jim

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I use motorways much (about once a month) but whenever I do it seems more and more drivers are hogging the middle lane and either sticking to the limit or hovering just below it.

What is it with drivers,does anyone on here do it?,have you noticed it more and more or is it me being a grumpy old ***?

Moan over!

ATB

Jim

I agree entirely about people with no lane discipline,but what is wrong with obeying the speed limit or going just under it?

I f you want grumpy,get me started on fog lights and the misuse of them :yes:

Same goes for under-takers, which seems to be on the rise. Often going past lane 2 hoggers.

Tom

You need to use the A13 close to the M25 especially as they are coming out of Lakeside. Middle lane on the phone doing 50 mph, just stay in the inside lane and pass them all.

Same goes for under-takers, which seems to be on the rise. Often going past lane 2 hoggers.

Tom

Passing a car in the middle lane, if you are in lane 1 travelling faster, is NOT undertaking...

The same manoevre on a single lane road WOULD be undertaking

Someone needs to read the highway code again.

From Highway Code - 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions, you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake. -

This is loose enough for a traffic cop to book you for driving without due care and attention should he be short of hits that day. Generally, I avoid doing so unless everyone is moving slowly and then with great caution, trying to make sure the overtaken vehicle is aware of my presence.

For other roads 163 –

• only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signaling to turn right, and there is room to do so

• stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left.

Again I prefer not to but when it is the only option, with great caution as above.

There is no law as such but it is suggesting that reasonable drivers do not.

Yep 'Middle Lane Owners Club' always out in force on the M4 when I pop into the office once or twice a week. You can see how sometimes it can be easier and potentially less dangerous to pass on the left on a clear motorway than move across from lane 1 to lane 3 to overtake and then back into lane 1 (sharply just to prove a point more often than not).

Can't abide them or the people that mistake rain for fog and switch their fog lights on.

Both sets are ignorant and dangerous **** and need reeducating somewhat.

I f you want grumpy,get me started on fog lights and the misuse of them :yes:

Not to mention leaving the headlights on while parked which seems to be increasingly popular. It won't be too long before little Jimmy and Jane will be wiped out while trying to cross the road on the way home from the convenience store with their bag of sweeties because the poor unfortunate oncoming driver didn't see them because he was dazzled by a cretin.

I freely admit to undertaking where the person in lane 2 is clearly ignorant and not moving back over. I often do it to prove a point and they frequently move over once I've undertaken them. Note I've usually been sat behind them for a decent amount of time before I do this manoeuvre.

Now, I know I am wrong, but as others have mentioned it's more straight forward than moving to lane 1 to 3 and then back.

I freely admit to undertaking where the person in lane 2 is clearly ignorant and not moving back over. I often do it to prove a point and they frequently move over once I've undertaken them. Note I've usually been sat behind them for a decent amount of time before I do this manoeuvre.

Now, I know I am wrong, but as others have mentioned it's more straight forward than moving to lane 1 to 3 and then back.

But you may be the one that gets a ticket and points for doing an illegal manoeuvre on the motorway.

If you have been sat behind them for a decent amount of time before undertaking you are simply saying you decided to speed up and undertake someone,in which case you are doing an illegal manoeuvre

No I've been sat behind them in the hope that they see me behind them and thus move over. Sadly this rarely happens. I definitely want to get past them as they are usually doing 60mph and I want to do 70mph. I don't really want to go 80mph+ in the outside lane, as I don't want to disturb the flow of traffic on that lane, so I end up undertaking.

Fully prepared to get a ticket for it.

I can well understand this, it's middle lane hoggers that cause people to undertake.

Lanes aren't given individual speeds it's 70mph, and if lane one of three is clear there's no excuse for not being in it. Unless you are overtaking.

People that do this are effectively making a three lane motorway one lane. Morons.

Edited by Muddy Funker

100 miles a day a lot on 2 lane mway

What's gets me are the ones who pull in to let you pass then pull out again despite there being nothing in front of them ???

Worst of all is being in a van limited to just under 70....... You get stuck between trucks at 58 and cars at 80

I thought they were meant to be clamping down on lane 2 hoggers.

Makes me laff at night when the road is clear and they still sit there. I always make a point of going round them across to lane 3 then all the way back into lane 1 when clear.