I'm assuming this is ******?

northernneil

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want indestructible buy a Biakali I've had one in 410 weighted 6 1/2 lbs the wall thickness was nearly .410 makes a very strong barrel but not a good handling gun.

New gun need to go via the retailer to GMK, GMK don't have to and IMHO are not very good at dealing with the general public, they are better with their dealer chain.

I own a Beretta and Browning and find them both good guns in different ways....... I've previously phoned GMK for information and found them helpful. Not that this will assist the OP.

It will be interesting to see how the OP gets this resolved and if he gets some generosity of spirit from GMK, a retailer or Beretta. Good luck NorthernNeil.

Guest cookoff013

Rolls Royces do break down and Berreta's are not Rolls Royce's of the shot gun world!

I agree with what you say whole heartedly.

Give me a Baikal lol.

even baikals fail.

an ex-associate of mine put in a 3" shell in a 2,3/4" chamber. first shot "lost" the barrels.

thats what happens when idiots do not research there guns suitability and cartridge usage. the biggest irony of the whole situation, it was a 3" tungsten shell because it was safer than a steel load !

luckily the shooter involved was NOT hurt.

sadly the shooter involved never fired a gun since.

Just a quick update, I took the barrels over to my local ground which also has a shop and gunsmith on site.

They were of the opinion that it's a scratch caused by lead fouling (one or the other!)

They reckon it can be fixed however the barrels on currently on their way to GMK so they can have a look (and repair) and feedback and defects etc to beretta direct. Greenfields did offer to send it to Birmingham for repair but said Andy at GMK really wanted to look at it.

If this turns out to be a scratch I'm going to feel an idiot, on the same hand, I've no idea how it could've happened.

Fingers crossed it is a scratch obviously looking at photos it's tricky only way I can see it bring lead is a pellet out side the wad or poorly loaded fibre wad. Bore scope should reveal more info hlas anyone put a poking thing in to see how deep the crack is and if it is a crack rather than surface fouling?

Just a quick update, I took the barrels over to my local ground which also has a shop and gunsmith on site.

They were of the opinion that it's a scratch caused by lead fouling (one or the other!)

They reckon it can be fixed however the barrels on currently on their way to GMK so they can have a look (and repair) and feedback and defects etc to beretta direct. Greenfields did offer to send it to Birmingham for repair but said Andy at GMK really wanted to look at it.

If this turns out to be a scratch I'm going to feel an idiot, on the same hand, I've no idea how it could've happened.

Well Neil, at least you would be a SAFE idiot! I too hope it turns out to be a scratch and that you can get back to shooting the old girl.

Good luck

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

On your behalf I'm hoping you're right about a scratch but if it is there's some weird effect at play, that mark, whatever it is, starts just before the forcing cone, goes all the way up the forcing cone and into the barrel so if something like a pellet did get trapped outside the wad it ran it perfectly up the wall inside without ever losing contact with the wall/ I'd expect either a broken line or some variation in line thickness?

It look too consistent for a scratch I really hope for your sake it is. A good bore scope and or ultra sound will deduced the correct issue.

Glad GMK stepped up to look into it.

You may look an idiot if it is a hair or something you'd have looked and felt stupid if you used it and blown you hand or head off. Saftey first second and third fun fourth.

NO - You were very sensible to raise the issue and have it properly investigated. You would feel an idiot if you continued to shoot and injured either yourself or others.

ALWAYS best to be cautious and have these things investigated properly - and ask the opinions of others who may have more experience.

It look too consistent for a scratch I really hope for your sake it is. A good bore scope and or ultra sound will deduced the correct issue.

Glad GMK stepped up to look into it.

You may look an idiot if it is a hair or something you'd have looked and felt stupid if you used it and blown you hand or head off. Saftey first second and third fun fourth.

Well said.

I take it if gmk find it to be a scratch and polish it out for him all the beretta knockers on here will be posting retractions.myself I have never had a problem with any of the main gunmakers.i doubt they will stand by any gun of this age to the extent of giving new barrels.if it was a s.o5 or other such grade then maybe.but good luck to you anyway

Edited by bostonmick

I have seen this (if it turns out to be a split) happen to very very old (30 years +) guns but nothing newish. as an aside, I have a hatsan that was third or fourth hand when I got it. it shoots everything (and i mean everything...even hand reloads that are of questionable quality) faultlessly and has yet to have a failure to extract/fire in over 1000 cartridges, even low powered ones. guess i got a good one but i do meticulously keep it spotless.

Another update.

GMK have the barrels and have inspected them. They're saying it's a scratch that's possibly been caused by a foreign object in the cartridge, or a cleaning brush! (Not sure on that myself as it's a perfectly straight line, I'd be working hard to clean it so straight!)

They say it's safe to fire so I ask if they'd put a report together saying so..... "Erm, I'd have to ask my manager but he's not in till next week"

These barrels are chrome lined and shouldn't scratch, they have 300 bits of lead going down them every few seconds in use!

They also say there's nothing they can do with it to try and make it better.

To be honest, I'm not confident of firing it with whatever it is remaining there, and I've no chance of selling it.

Beretta via Facebook are saying if I'm not happy with the response to get GMK to ship them to beretta in Italy.

Really, I'm after opinions, what would you do? I don't believe these barrels should've scratched so badly to begin with?

Might sound extreme but if it is really just a scratch but you are not confident. For about £30 (test cost) you can get them fired at the Birmingham proof house and that will cover your safety as they will use a proof load (Heavy!).

If it is a scratch I guess they are devalued and some folk will just not buy the gun full stop.

A second opinion would not be a bad idea .........

Ask GMK to submit it for proof at their risk ie if it fails they replace the barrels if it passes you will pay proof costs......

I agree with this if it just a scratch not a fault or crack they have nothing to worry about. £30 get you a very good second opinion with a proof load.