Night vision scope for £70

FalconFN

It was a bit of a faff but I've just finished my budget NV scope that was made from a Sony board camera, an old CCTV camera, a camcorder and a few ebay bits and bobs.

The total cost was £68 and can comfortably see out to 250 yards.

IMAG4223_zpsedf4d29b.jpg

IMAG4233_zpse4eec510.jpg

I still need to do some proper testing other than a daytime zero but it is looking pretty good so far and I'll get a video up sooner or later.

I've just posted a more in depth write-up on a specific UK based night vision forum if anyone wants to know more.

I find this thread particularly interesting as i would love a NV set up on a .22LR for bunny bashing but I could not justify the high price of some NV units to SWMBO!

I suspect that it would be very useful and of great interest to a great many members if you could put up as much info as possible on the location of/obtaining the parts needed and the actual building of the unit!

I have to say that it certainly looks very neat and compact!

It was a bit of a faff but I've just finished my budget NV scope that was made from a Sony board camera, an old CCTV camera, a camcorder and a few ebay bits and bobs.

The total cost was £68 and can comfortably see out to 250 yards.

IMAG4223_zpsedf4d29b.jpg

IMAG4233_zpse4eec510.jpg

I still need to do some proper testing other than a daytime zero but it is looking pretty good so far and I'll get a video up sooner or later.

I've just posted a more in depth write-up on a specific UK based night vision forum if anyone wants to know more.

Looks v neat....how do you adjust the x & y for the zero...I guess the block it sits on has some form of left-right-up and down

TEH

The board camera was designed for CCTV use so it has an on-screen display menu that allows you to selectively mask certain areas that may be pointing towards bedroom windows etc. By selecting the areas as long thin horizontal and vertical lines (and changing the colour to black) you can move them anywhere on the screen to create crosshairs that sit on top of the POI. There are 8 areas available so 2 for the crosshairs and another 6 for mildots etc.

My ret is to the right of centre but not by too much. Pic:

post-20802-0-58182100-1402052423_thumb.jpg

Edited by FalconFN

For £70 I'll have one too, exactly the same including the eyepiece. Although, I suspect the real cost to build from the ground up would be somewhere nearer £300!

Well, believe it or not, everything was bought for the job (except the black spray paint) and all from weebay - the body and lens was £12.50, the Sony Effio E HAD II 700tvl camera was £18, the 11 mm to weaver rail was £6, li-ion battery (EL wirecraft) was £16, the camcorder was £10 and the button and voltage reg was about £5 and all those prices include delivery. What's more all of it except the Sony cam came from British sellers. I did have the torch (from Weebser) and rifle already though and if I'm honest I did buy 2 other camcorders - one of them I fried and the other was a tiny bit too long so I sold it.

If I used a E700 the price would be about £45 - £50 more but no point for the range I want.

Wow, then my hat is off to you. I priced my add-on out and without taking the day and a half of time it takes to build one, the materials alone came to £480! That is all new prices though, and pretty much the best of everything.

I'm getting, through a day scope, Fox sized targets clear on x12 mag at 300 yards plus. But, a 200 yard useable dedicated unit for under £70 is amazing. I like the way the cross hairs are generated, very imaginative indeed. Does it allow for variable magnification?

The lens I have on there is a 12.5 to 75 mm f1.8 zoom but I have fixed it at 75 to avoid POA shifting whan zooming. The 75 mm gives around X5 - 6 mag but as the body has a C mount thread it can accept any C or CS mount lens (or any SLR lens with a C mount adapter) so I could change it for a 150 mm lens to get x10 mag.

A better camera (E700) would easily do 300 yards I expect.

I'm just trying to convert a video I shot earlier, they are AVI files but I can't edit them as that so it may take a while...

The first pic of the reticle is taken during the day. You have to stop down the aperture a bit and adjust the camera settings to avoid the image being over exposed and it is still B&W but very useable. It is on a dedicated night vision rifle so I'm not going to use that one during the day anyway.

I am having issues with shifting POA at the moment but I'm narrowing down the culprit.

They certainly are! She's a fantastic dog and will walk to heel for miles and pick up anything I shoot... but I don't think I'd trust her to stay by my side in the pitch black - because she thinks she knows best! (well she probably does)

Lovely *** mate. Thats a cracking image. Any chance of link for camera and lens bud?

PM'd (on a different site).