what shotgun should i go for next

johnphilip

Try a game gun if your sporter is too heavy. Generally sporters are similar in weight only getting heavier than what you have.

Is it a balance problem? Perhaps adding weight at either end will improve the balance giving the feel it's lighter. I know it sounds ridiculous but I guarantee a 8.5lbs gun that's well balanced will feel lighter than a 8lbs muzzle heavy gun.

Try a game gun if your sporter is too heavy. Generally sporters are similar in weight only getting heavier than what you have.

Is it a balance problem? Perhaps adding weight at either end will improve the balance giving the feel it's lighter. I know it sounds ridiculous but I guarantee a 8.5lbs gun that's well balanced will feel lighter than a 8lbs muzzle heavy gun.

no its fine balance wise the gun comes up nice ..........its just weight, after bashing a few clays it does become heavy

I would try and borrow a lightweight or two before you buy.

I am a fan of light guns myself, but I find that under 6 lbs (which some may be) is too light for me. Its not so much a recoil issue (as I use 12g loads in a light gun) - its more that it feels almost 'unstable' and its hard to get a steady swing. I prefer about 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 lbs in a s/s (12G) and about 7 - 7 1/4 lbs in an o/u. I think you might find a very light gun doesn't suit - they feel great in the shop(!), but are (for me anyway) not so easy to shoot.

Examples I know of are AyA No1, No2 in s/s (about 6 3/4 lbs) and in o/u I have a Merkel at 7 1/4 lbs and a Beretta at 7 3/8 lbs. All 12G, 28" barrels. I would call all of these 'lighter than average' rather than ultralight.

You wanna try shooting my Baikal auto then chuffin 9 1/2 lb weight that is, but no recoil though

Blimey! I thought mine was heavy at 8 lb 10 oz with added weight under the recoil pad. Mind you, as noted above it doesn't feel particularly heavy, as it balances properly now (right on the bolt release), and it feels subjectively lighter than without the added ballast.

What did you do to yours to make it that heavy?

Back on topic, I would suggest the op tries a few different guns - it may be more a case of finding one that balances correctly *for him*, rather than one that is actually lighter.