Milky wheat

Mr pigeon

Just found first pigeons of the year on milky wheat, hitting the team lines, 200+ of them. Anyone found the same?

Shot a 100 on Thursday on barley, 32 yesterday that were starting on the wheat...

Also what has happened is around here is wheat with a lot of black grass has been cut for silage, this in turn has opened up some large areas and encouraged the birds to feed in the cut areas...

TEH

Have you noticed a lot of black grass this year a keeper friend mentioned it was particularly bad in this years crop for some reason?

Ade

Well it will be a very good year for crop yield....however everything has grown well including the black grass which is very hard to spray out and is getting quite a problem....

TEH

Just been out mowing today and am seeing pigeons getting into the wheat,, not hundreds but a good few, they were flying about all over the field. Lucky theres a nice roundel of trees in the field they aim for before dropping in, probably best I get the flooring down and finish decorating done at home, that should give enough time for the numbers to build up and keep her in doors happy!! yeah right!

Just been out mowing today and am seeing pigeons getting into the wheat,, not hundreds but a good few, they were flying about all over the field. Lucky theres a nice roundel of trees in the field they aim for before dropping in, probably best I get the flooring down and finish decorating done at home, that should give enough time for the numbers to build up and keep her in doors happy!! yeah right!

Same here , only been looking today so me and my dog can have a rest from shooting, the wheat fields I looked at had pigeons dropping in to small patches but I don't think there been on them long enough to get used to any one particular field...................as far as decorating goes I only do it during the close season which is 2 days in May and even that is not always possible ...

Tried today again, under a flight-line to some barley fields but they didn't seem interested in my decoys so stayed high. The few that took a look weren't committed and of those I hit (a massive 5) only one had wheat mixed in with some leaf tips and barley.

Nice to be out though.

Hi not much about round here plenty of good crops but not much pigeon about I have never known anything like it. for the last 18 month its become very quiet round here I run a small shoot on 1000 acre and also work on the farm. There has been so much talk across the country about pigeon numbers getting less I don't think iv seen a large flock for maybe 2 years now. I wish I knew what was going on. we grow Rape beans and wheat so plenty for them to choose from on the farm.

Hi not much about round here plenty of good crops but not much pigeon about I have never known anything like it. for the last 18 month its become very quiet round here I run a small shoot on 1000 acre and also work on the farm. There has been so much talk across the country about pigeon numbers getting less I don't think iv seen a large flock for maybe 2 years now. I wish I knew what was going on. we grow Rape beans and wheat so plenty for them to choose from on the farm.

Do you shoot on any other farms. 1000 acres isn't that big an area and I would say it's not that uncommon for a farm of that size to be devoid of pigeons for a while.

Hi yes have about another 4500 acres of surrounding farms to shoot over but like I said im just not seeing the big numbers. I shot good bags 2 years ago of 200 plus 3 times a week before I started harvest on layed barley wheat and rape. and beans when cut. I travel around in the old motor a bit looking but i can honestly say ive not seen anymore than 30 birds lift of any barley or wheat round here. birds are flying in from all directions and only the odd 1 or 2 here and there. im not the only shooter over this land there are 3 others and they even say the same one of the guys has other land besides and he is retired and shoots 5 days a week when he can and he says he is not getting big bags either the 2 others only shoot now and then so i know the ground is not over shot. Its been like it for a while now just wish i knew where they all are or whats going on.

Hi yes have about another 4500 acres of surrounding farms to shoot over but like I said im just not seeing the big numbers. I shot good bags 2 years ago of 200 plus 3 times a week before I started harvest on layed barley wheat and rape. and beans when cut. I travel around in the old motor a bit looking but i can honestly say ive not seen anymore than 30 birds lift of any barley or wheat round here. birds are flying in from all directions and only the odd 1 or 2 here and there. im not the only shooter over this land there are 3 others and they even say the same one of the guys has other land besides and he is retired and shoots 5 days a week when he can and he says he is not getting big bags either the 2 others only shoot now and then so i know the ground is not over shot. Its been like it for a while now just wish i knew where they all are or whats going on.

Just over the border in Somerset and I am also devoid of any pigeons; like Rickyard Shooter the last few years have been really difficult. Having to work extra hard just to get bags above 50, last year the largest bag was 148.

I sit here feeling really jealous of others who are having constant reasonable bags.

Just over the border in Somerset and I am also devoid of any pigeons; like Rickyard Shooter the last few years have been really difficult. Having to work extra hard just to get bags above 50, last year the largest bag was 148.

I sit here feeling really jealous of others who are having constant reasonable bags.

Had been quiet here (South Wales)since last year too,didn't see many on clover this year either but birds are finally showing now though not in big numbers yet.

Hopefully birds will show for you soon.

Ah well all we can do is sit and wait see what happens we will be cutting rape in 2 weeks see if things will pick up then. Trouble is I wont be the one shooting if it does pick up :no: Shame but that's the way it goes when harvest starts. Hope I get chance when we start cutting beans a bit later. was out shooting clays on an invite this morning gosh 23 out of 50 they seemed real hard saw some pigeon on power lines when arrived about 20 ish sat over wheat they went off on first bang never saw much flying about after that and was there couple hours most strange.