OWN ADVICE

Highlander

I posted on here a while ago about driving off road at the moment. A big no no when it's so wet even if your motor can take it it doesn't do farmers fields any favours and may cause a problem over set aside payments.

Well yesterday (car in gear but me, thumb up the bum, mind in neutral) I drove into a field and down a 6m margin and down and down and down. Dug a bloody great rut about 30' long and deep enough to ground the motor on one side. Made a hell of a mess of the field, a bit more of a mess of the vehicle (but not so you'd notice anything unusual) and covered myself in mud. Luckily had some sacks in the motor without which I don't think she'd have come out. Took the best part of half an hour in the growing dark! :o

Out of courtesy I went and apologised to farmer and offered to make good the mess. He's a dry ol' stick and asked me if the vehicle didn't have a rain gauge fitted (it's an ML) :no: Still I did feel a right dh. :D

His advice was 1/2 " of rain stay of the fields for 1-2 days of good drying weather (dry wind), 1" stay off for 4-5 days and 2", which is about what we've had in the last few days, stay off for a good week or more! :)

Next time...

We went out on Saturday and I took the wife's shiney Defender 90 on All-terrain tyres. The keeper told us where to set up and suggested we park the other side of a clay field. I suggested that the Landy might not make it, even driving round the edge, he claimed that if a landy couldn't make it then I really didn't know what I was doing. Land Rovers can go anywhere, apparently.

Luckily after a bit of slipping and sliding I managed to turn round and bail out. Not a chance of making it. I've been off-roading for 14 years, and should have listened to myself, but I thought he knew terrain.

No real issues as we escaped but I spent a hour and a half yesterday cleaning the clay off the chassis and then cleaning the drive. All to save a 4 minute walk.

Will I ever learn that lesson?

Merman

I posted on here a while ago about driving off road at the moment. A big no no when it's so wet even if your motor can take it it doesn't do farmers fields any favours and may cause a problem over set aside payments.

Well yesterday (car in gear but me, thumb up the bum, mind in neutral) I drove into a field and down a 6m margin and down and down and down. Dug a bloody great rut about 30' long and deep enough to ground the motor on one side. Made a hell of a mess of the field, a bit more of a mess of the vehicle (but not so you'd notice anything unusual) and covered myself in mud. Luckily had some sacks in the motor without which I don't think she'd have come out. Took the best part of half an hour in the growing dark! :lol:

Out of courtesy I went and apologised to farmer and offered to make good the mess. He's a dry ol' stick and asked me if the vehicle didn't have a rain gauge fitted (it's an ML) :lol: Still I did feel a right dh. :D

His advice was 1/2 " of rain stay of the fields for 1-2 days of good drying weather (dry wind), 1" stay off for 4-5 days and 2", which is about what we've had in the last few days, stay off for a good week or more! :/

Next time...

Get out of a hairdressers car Highlander :lol:

LB

Well yesterday (car in gear but me, thumb up the bum, mind in neutral) I drove into a field and down a 6m margin and down and down and down. Dug a bloody great rut about 30' long and deep enough to ground the motor on one side. Made a hell of a mess of the field, a bit more of a mess of the vehicle (but not so you'd notice anything unusual) and covered myself in mud. Luckily had some sacks in the motor without which I don't think she'd have come out. Took the best part of half an hour in the growing dark! B)

Out of courtesy I went and apologised to farmer and offered to make good the mess. He's a dry ol' stick and asked me if the vehicle didn't have a rain gauge fitted (it's an ML) :lol: Still I did feel a right dh. :D

His advice was 1/2 " of rain stay of the fields for 1-2 days of good drying weather (dry wind), 1" stay off for 4-5 days and 2", which is about what we've had in the last few days, stay off for a good week or more! :/

Next time...

Get out of a hairdressers car Highlander :P

LB

Welcome back LB nice to hear from you again :lol::lol::lol:???;):P

i drove on two a rape field and went two turn on the grass and got stuck, the farmer had a party at his place not that i new so i got on the phone and he said ok be up there now,so up he came with tractor pulled me of, said ok not two worry see you soon good as gold he is.

the farmer had a party at his place not that i new so i got on the phone and he said ok be up there now,so up he came with tractor and pulled me off,

:/:lol::lol::lol::lol:

sorry mate i had to do it :P:P???:D;)

I am starting to get a bit averse to 4 x4's. Very useful occasionally but on most land they are not really needed. Whats wrong with walking? Its quite easy, you park up on some hard ground, get out of the vehicle and use your legs :D

I'm involved with two game shoots and some of the lads when filling hoppers etc drive around the fields when there is grass margins or stubble, but what a mess they leave once the ground gets wet. Myself I carry the wheat to where it is needed, hard work yes but at least the place does not end up looking like teh Somme in 1916.

A big shoot wrapped up locally witha full time keeper losing his job. The rumour is that it was because of driving along grass seta-side margins. Be very careful and check with the farmer before you use them as tracks to drive down.

I am starting to get a bit averse to 4 x4's. Very useful occasionally but on most land they are not really needed. Whats wrong with walking? Its quite easy, you park up on some hard ground, get out of the vehicle and use your legs :lol:

I'm involved with two game shoots and some of the lads when filling hoppers etc drive around the fields when there is grass margins or stubble, but what a mess they leave once the ground gets wet. Myself I carry the wheat to where it is needed, hard work yes but at least the place does not end up looking like teh Somme in 1916.

A big shoot wrapped up locally witha full time keeper losing his job. The rumour is that it was because of driving along grass seta-side margins. Be very careful and check with the farmer before you use them as tracks to drive down.

They are good for the type of pigeon shooter who uses over 150+ kilos of gear and needs to get to a far corner of a field under a flight line.

Also for the clean up and placing the magic 150+ birds in the back rather than carrying sack upon sack of birds across the field :lol:

Though i quite agree walking is often the best option but IF you get some anti scum who see's YOU shooting and your a good 500 yards or more away from your CAr then they tend to brick the windows key the paint OR slash the tyres :blink:

Thats when taking it IN the field and keeping a close eye on it comes in tops :lol:

There are PRO'S and CONS

Mine isn't 4X4 anyway it just LOOKS like it is :blink:

LG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

drive a disco1 200tdi with bits and pieces on it if you get stuck put it in low diff and slowly accl out not to heavy on the foot as you will dig in most landys or most 4x4s will slowly pull themselves out. if unsure get yourself a highjack and a large lenght of rope and winch yourself out

The other trick is to get off yer fat *** and walk!

then if it's dry enough to walk on you should be alright

Top tip is only ever use 4wd to reverse out of where 2 wd got you stuck (which you shouldnt have if you'd looked first)

it's why we're all getting fatter

Have you all the fishing boys lately by the pools with their cars parked next to them fat bellies hanging out and a 150 kg of kit!

ummm who else can I insult

If you shoot a load of pigeon, why not get the farmer come help you clear them on his quad.

what did you do before set aside?

rant over

ps if you take a ml off the tarmac what do you expect!

ps if you take a ml off the tarmac what do you expect!

Actually I do over 20K miles a year more than half of it 'off road', I've owned most 4 x 4s and the ML is, if not the best 'off roader' from a 'go anywhere' point of view it comes very close as a number of my landy owning friends (?) on here will (not willingly) testify having been pulled out of the mire on occassion. :blink: No 'Chelsea Tractor' this one!

• 4 weeks later...