2.5" .410 Cartridges

THe only thing I've noticed with the Eley (esepcially in a shot size 6) is that the pattern can be great, and then utterly fail 5 yards later. I've seen a shot spatter all round a rabbit at 25 yards, and it bounce off in perfect health, whereas at 20 yards, it's invariably fatal.

I appreciate that's as much to do with the gun as the cartridge, but it does seem that the Eley have that little bit less than others.

Have you used the eley 12.5g cartridges, as a comparison ? .. lm curious to know if there is a noticeable difference ..

Edit :

Im talking complete rubbish sorry, its the Eley Fourlong that Ive always used and have found them great.

Its been a long day

Edited by hedd-wyn

Hi

Found the eley ones quieter in my moderated gun if that's any help

Use fioccie most of the Time only because that's what they stock locally

All the best

Of

What were you using on our day out OF? They seemed very good at the long range clay, with you behind them of course :lol::good::good:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got a 410 S/S by side Falco.

I bought a box of Cheddite 24g low noise 3" for clay with the gun and tried on clays and couldn't get on with them, but that could be me.

Bought some Victory 410 14g No 6 as that was what Doveridge had in stock and started smashing clays with them, so quite pleased with these.

Anyone else tried these on clay or in the field.

Just got a 410 S/S by side Falco.

I bought a box of Cheddite 24g low noise 3" for clay with the gun and tried on clays and couldn't get on with them, but that could be me.

Bought some Victory 410 14g No 6 as that was what Doveridge had in stock and started smashing clays with them, so quite pleased with these.

Anyone else tried these on clay or in the field.

That's a new one on me 24 gram .410 didn't think it would fit in the case?

21 gram Winchester used to be available, but the biggest I have seen now is 19 gram eley

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter

I don't know if these are some Malmo have made specially as they are not on Cheddite's Italian website or on Malmo's price list sheet.

The cartridge I have in my sticky mitt says Cheddite Drago 410 24g 73mm 71/2 on it and has a cork wad and clear plastic case.

Easy way to find out, weigh the shot. If you don't have scales, two £1 coins weigh 23 grams.

I bake cakes and bread of course I have scales. :lol:

Could even do milligrams to 3 decimal places if I drag the old chemical balance out I scrounged when they were having a chuck out at work. OH has designs on it for making his own cart's.

The box and cartridge both say 24g, so no reason to doubt the weight. The whole cartridge weight is 30g. No intention of chopping up the cart' though just to weigh shot will take the manufacturers word for it.

Anyone used these Victory 410 14g No 6 :thanks:

Have you used the eley 12.5g cartridges, as a comparison ? .. lm curious to know if there is a noticeable difference ..

I've used both and settled on the lyalvale - they are definitely faster and add a few yards to your range. The eley fourlong are weak even by 410 standards but are the absolute quietest when moderated (suspect they are subsonic). If it's important to you, the eley use a waxed cork wad, lyalvale use plastic. In the absence of my 12gauge, lyalvale 16gram is my workhorse cartridge though.