Anyone fish with a speargun?

Fuddster

Hi all,

Just coming to the end of the two week family holiday in the algarve. I''be seen a few guys diving with a snorkel and a speargun about 25m off the rocks. I fancy having a go next year and wondered if any PW guys are into it.

I'm a confident swimmer and have completed my PADI open water dive certificate.

I believe any form of spear fishing is illegal in the UK but not enforced.

Any advice welcome.

Obrigada!

Fuddster

This if from the spear fishing association websight .

SPEARFISHING AND THE LAW

No licence is required for the types of speargun described in this booklet. However, Spearguns and spears are potentially lethal and when used in a dangerous manner, the laws governing the use of an offensive weapon would apply.

Spearfishing is illegal in the non tidal reaches of Britain's rivers. No licence or permit is required for fishing in the sea around the coast of Britain.

In Britain, there is national legislation and local bye- laws governing the minimum size of fish and shellfish that may be legally taken; other countries impose similar restrictions.

I go sailing twice a year in the Med. We take a few spearguns with us in the hold baggage, no issues. (Purchased abroad)

I'll tell you now that they're nowhere near as easy as you might think. You need to be within 5 meters of the fish and that would be an impressive shot to say the least. 1-2M is your prime killing zone and even with the world's biggest barb on the end, they still manage to wriggle off sometimes.

Don't go for the cheap little spearguns. The longer ones are better, but remember that you need to reload these in the water and that involves one hell of a lot of strain and stomach jabbing from the handle as you pull the elastic (It's really really difficult)

I know you will probably have great experience and discipline with shooting a gun, but please take extra caution with spearguns. Go somewhere that's completely clear of other swimmers and if you are swimming with a buddy, only take one speargun with you. When you swim along the surface, the gun will trail behind you, along with the cord. Diving down will pull the muzzle of the gun to the surface and then you'll swing it back to point in front of you when you're at the bottom. A friend swimming can easily get in the firing line. Having just one gun means you can each focus on one risk.

The spears DO ricochet and they DO sometimes decide to bounce back. Avoid firing at a rock, as it can bounce off and come back at you or your buddy.

From my experience, the best tactic is to spot your prey and begin a slow follow of it, gun poised and it'll begin to swim away at pace. Keep up with it and it will slow down and be more focused on you rather than the long stick. If you can really hold your breath, it'll begin to accept you're not a threat and slow right down. Let it turn side on and fire away.

Any other questions, let me know!

Edited by Billy.

I always remember reading a report in the newspaper when I lived in new Zealand about a spear fisherman who made the mistake of putting the snapper he shot in a bag tied to his waste, sharks followed the blood trail and he became their lunch !!!!

When I was in NZ there was a guy who speared a fish and was so determined to land this big snapper he ended up drowning, all he had to do was let go and he could have saved himself easily, nowt as queer as folk

be careful spear fishing with a tank on your back can get you in a LOT of trouble, check the area out with the local police in Portugal first, some places WILL hammer you for it, Spain is one :yes: and I think Portugal is the same.

KW

be careful spear fishing with a tank on your back can get you in a LOT of trouble, check the area out with the local police in Portugal first, some places WILL hammer you for it, Spain is one :yes: and I think Portugal is the same.

KW

I have a feeling it isn't permitted in the uk (with diving gear that it), if it isnt illegal, it is certainly very frowned upon, considering you have a huge advantage!

It can be fun, I go snorkelling round kelpy/rocky shallows (up to 3m deep) in the UK, occasionally spot a bass etc, but as others have said, its tricky to get close enough, fun though!

When I was in NZ there was a guy who speared a fish and was so determined to land this big snapper he ended up drowning, all he had to do was let go and he could have saved himself easily, nowt as queer as folk

now thats a level of dedication to his sport that i can respect and admire lol.

Cheers one and all for the input above-really good to hear from folks that have done it.

Kit wise I reckon about £150 will do it.

I don't doubt the difficulty using the speargun through a diving mask-probably a bit like shooting while wearing a respirator.

Cheers

Fuddster

I don't doubt the difficulty using the speargun through a diving mask-probably a bit like shooting while wearing a respirator.

At least if you shoot wearing a respirator the shot travels a worthy killing distance.

The mask isn't the problem, it's the fact a gat gun has a better killing range than a speargun.

Cheers Billy-is refraction throughout he water an issue or as you advise,get as close as possible.

I reckon I'll promise the kids sea bass but we'll end up with fish fingers.

Cheers

F.

You don't need to account for refraction. That only affects a person looking into a body of water. Light bends as it enters and exits the water, making the target appear in a different location to where it actually is.

If you are underwater, the reflected light travels in a straight line and does not refract, even behind a mask. Aim straight at the fish!

I have spearfished in Portugal without any problems (no tanks). However, the waters off Portugal are certainly no better than the likes of Cornwall/Devon for sport, and probably worse.

If you are buying a speargun I would recommend the longer the better and more rubber bands the better. Make sure the spear has a barb (some don't). A weight belt is useful so you are just negatively buoyant (don't do this if you aren't a strong swimmer...) and can sink quicker. Also, a low volume snorkel mask comes in handy if you are diving deeper as it uses less air to equalize it. Good luck.

You don't need to account for refraction. That only affects a person looking into a body of water. Light bends as it enters and exits the water, making the target appear in a different location to where it actually is.

If you are underwater, the reflected light travels in a straight line and does not refract, even behind a mask. Aim straight at the fish!

yes but remember everything looks 3 times the size so you can easily take undersize fish.

KW