new to decoying, is a dog essential?

lewis 682

Hello everyone, ive been shootin now for about 12 mnth mainly clays& some rough.id love to join the Nppc & get into decoying! whats the procedure with shot birds? (should i be so lucky) is a dog essential. has anyone been on a nppc tuition day? if so is it wort h trying? So much to learn!!! Lewis 682

Hello everyone, ive been shootin now for about 12 mnth mainly clays& some rough.id love to join the Nppc & get into decoying! whats the procedure with shot birds? (should i be so lucky) is a dog essential. has anyone been on a nppc tuition day? if so is it wort h trying? So much to learn!!! Lewis 682

Hi Lewis, you could do a lot worse than picking up a copy of Pigeon Shooting by Archie Coates, Ebay is a good source, will contain perhaps the best basic knowledge for a beginer, I agree with general opinion that a dog is not essential in a hide situation and could possibly damage its hearing if regularly subjected to prolonged sessions. Good luck D2D :good:

Not essential BUT remember a dog is a mans best friend. Gives you someone/thing to talk to when the birds aren't playing the game and doesn't answer back :no:

Highlander, I read in the Mail a few days ago about a woman who had developed a way of talking to cats and the article went on to say that a conversation was possible, now the point is that if you keep talking to your dog and it answers you one day by criticising your shooting or whatever, you may as well stay at home and do the washing up? Stop it before someone hears you ha ha :) D2D

Hi Lewis, you could do a lot worse than picking up a copy of Pigeon Shooting by Archie Coates, Ebay is a good source, will contain perhaps the best basic knowledge for a beginer, I agree with general opinion that a dog is not essential in a hide situation and could possibly damage its hearing if regularly subjected to prolonged sessions. Good luck D2D :)

Cheers mate im gonna see if i can pick a copy up :no:

• 4 weeks later...

I dont because in the summer months the dog can get dehidrated and cause it to have a fit ive been there its not nice if you take your dog give it plenty water and it is also gd to have a river, burn ,stream ,canal near by to give it a cool down every few hours hope that helps keep it in mind :oops::) :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have two dogs, but I don't take them decoying, but then my decoying is mostly over stubble. For any other type of shotgun shooting (and especially pigeon roost shooting) I have one by my side. Well, they are usually at my side, but sometimes they wander off!

A good dog can be worth its weight in gold, in the right place!

Although I find the use of a dog invaluable and good company, you must bear in mind the crop you are shooting over! a dog can end up doing just as much damage running in and out knocking seed pods off etc as the damage you are trying to prevent from pigeon.

My dogs come with me in the winter and early summer months and then get left at home during the remainder. But they still get plenty of exercise as they are with me every day on my early morning keepering duties.

Rgds