.20 Tactical - who would you get to make it

LeadWasp

Hi everyone.

If you were getting a .20 tactical made which firm/who would be your 'go to' maker?

I've got my own ideas but I'd really be interested in anyone's experiences and recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

There are a number of people out there who will build you a perfectly acceptable rifle, Chris's rifles shoot fine, dasherman ( Neil Mckillopen?), PRS and probably 10 others.

As an alternative look at a Cooper, these are probably the most accurate factory build rifles you will find.

A

There are a number of people out there who will build you a perfectly acceptable rifle, Chris's rifles shoot fine, dasherman ( Neil Mckillopen?), PRS and probably 10 others.

As an alternative look at a Cooper, these are probably the most accurate factory build rifles you will find.

Aory

Hi Alycidon can you expand on that list of 10 or so? I was planning to push the boat out a bit on this so I wasn't thinking of a factory - even a good one - and I think Coopers have a long wait don't they?

Depends some are better at certain types of build, there are unfortunately a lot of "run before they can walk" builders with no previous training or real experiance in the skills involved, namely the machining!

Hi Kent - any suggestions tho' to help me build a list to whittle down? I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who have had .20's done, either from donor actions or from scratch. I want to find someone who will really 'buy in' to a .20. I'm really not bothered by geographics as I spend a lot of time travelling the country. I want to find a good, canny maker who's keen on the calibre and wants to do something interesting.

Edited by LeadWasp

Chris at UK Gunworks built my .204 for me on a second hand Sako 75 action, but he also does full custom builds if that's what you are looking for.

http://www.ukgunworks.co.uk/

He does a really good job and he is local to me. The price was reasonable too

Thanks for the suggestion!

Neil Mckillop

Butlersland Farm

Mortimer

Reading

Berkshire

RG7 2AG

Phone: 0118 933 3100

mckillopeng@Hotmail.com

Thanks Dekers - that's interesting and thanks for confirming his contact details as I found an incorrect address for him.. He's come up recommended a few times on other forums too...and your post from 2010 :)

Thanks Dekers - that's interesting and thanks for confirming his contact details as I found an incorrect address for him.. He's come up recommended a few times on other forums too...and your post from 2010 :)

The guy is first class and has done all my work (and several pals) for some years now.

Mention Deker recommended him if you make contact!

:good:

Thanks guys for all the input. Neil's was a name that I hadn't come across until very recently. He's also not really very far away either. Time for a chat perhaps.

Moving away from foxing for a moment has anyone got a faster barrel and are pushing heavier bullets than 39's and 40's? I've read plenty of statements that a 20.Tac can push something heavier like the Berger 55's but I've never seen a proven load/data. I'm assuming that these are all match types and not expanding (Cat xvi)? It's more a question for me of knowing what the practical upper limits of the calibre+case are. I'm anticipating discussing something like a 1:12 barrel.......................

Edited by LeadWasp

If money was no issue I would go Brock & Norris (Mike).

ATB

Matt

Oh ! yes :good:

and also no rush for it, :lol:

and don't mind being told a load of porky pies :lol:

Here are a couple i would always go back to

Steve Kershaw

Dave Wild

I can Recommend both of these gents, but not the other :no:

Thanks guys for all the input. Neil's was a name that I hadn't come across until very recently. He's also not really very far away either. Time for a chat perhaps.

Moving away from foxing for a moment has anyone got a faster barrel and are pushing heavier bullets than 39's and 40's? I've read plenty of statements that a 20.Tac can push something heavier like the Berger 55's but I've never seen a proven load/data. I'm assuming that these are all match types and not expanding (Cat xvi)? It's more a question for me of knowing what the practical upper limits of the calibre+case are. I'm anticipating discussing something like a 1:12 barrel.......................

before you have a rifle built around the heavy bergers make sure you can get hold of the bullets first.i think berger discontinued one of the heavy .20 cals not sure which one it was.i have rifles built by Steve kershaw and dave wylde both excellent rifle smiths,but have heard great things about Neil too