Wildfowling Season 2014 - 2015

Wildfowler325

Only just home from staying with a friend so here is a an extract from the first entry of this years game diary.

Shooting Diary 20014\15

September 1st 2014

Well at last the new season and a friend was to share the first on ***** Marsh. Last night the dogs were both pretty wound up , but this morning they were going loopy. Its not as though its that long since mine had been shooting . We had had a couple of days on the stubbles shooting pigeons recently , but she knew this was going tobe the real thing. .We were up on good time , but some how were late getting into position and the first duck were moving as we were still walking across the marsh. I set up along the main dyke under the river wall putting out a stand of decoys beside the far gateway. Mallard had been pouring overhead while I was getting set up , but of course as soon as I was ready the flight stopped. But at least it gave me time to sit back , relax and enjoy the unfolding dawn. After the cool windy August the weather had returned to summer like conditions , flat calm warm and clear. It was a lovely morning to be out , but not the weather you wanted for wildfowling. Shots were breaking out all over the marshes and though I saw a number of duck few came near until a trio tempted me. Highish and wide , though within range , just. Later in the season I would have taken the shot , but this morning my shooting skills would still be rusty after the summer lay off so I let them pass.

My mate had a couple of shots and unknown to me dropped 3 mallard with his first two shots of the season. Two duck came lowish over the reeds and a snap shot clipped one sending it planning into the dyke 100 yards off. More duck were moving so I decided to leave it until later when things had calmed down. Just before sunrise I quacked a brace of mallard into the decoys. The first was easy , but I was pleased to kill the second as it flared off. Meg made short work of retrieving both birds. I have never seen a dog look so happy as when she delivered the second duck to hand. She was grinninf from ear to ear. My friend had another shot and a single teal appeared flying up the dyke. As it turned in front of me a single shot dropped it cleanly 40 yards out. There was a constant movement of mallard crossing the marshes , mixed with several teal and an odd shoveller , but none came close enough for a shot.

As the sun rose the flight quietened down so I took the dog to look for the first duck I had shot. I flushed a pair of mallard just out of range before Meg pushed two gadwall out of the reeds. One appeared to be a flapper and as I was watching it splashing down the dyke the other jumped into the air and flew off strongly taking me unawares. Quickly redirecting the dog onto the flapper she caught up with it. But it dived before she could catch it. It surfaced 40 yards away and a quick shot finished it off. Feeling a twinge of guilt when I took it off the dog I was relieved to find this was no flapper but a well grown youngster with the tip of its wing broken and no sign of wing feathers in quill. This was the bird I had hit at first light as she buzzed the decoys.

Quickly returning to my hide more duck appeared. A pair of gadwall responded well to my calling , banked around and turned for the decoys. I killed them both cleanly as they turned away. A nice bunch of a dozen teal swung over the river wall circling around my mate without offering a chance and landed on the water between the pair of us , but out of range for the both of us. I tried to drive them over my companion , but they knew a trick or two about that game and headed straight back to the river. No more duck came close , but a trio of Egyptian geese offered a good chance , but I had shot enough for the first flight. A single greylag also presented I long shot , but it was heading for my mate so I left it and of course it passed wide of him.

It was such a beautiful sun rise that I was reluctant to pack up. Flights of egrets were coming over the marsh , marsh harriers hunting the reed bed and a hand full of curlew pitched into the meadows to search for the abundant slugs that seemed everywhere. A kingfisher flashed past and the waterside rushes were full of warblers. It was a joy to be there away from the worries and cares of the world. Long may the little club who has the shooting here keep it and be able to hold the larger clubs at bay. After an hour enjoying the sights and sounds of the marsh it was time to pack up. Unbelievably three gadwall pitched into the decoys as I was starting to pull them into the bank. Well duck sometimes do daft things at the start of the season.

My mate had been unsuccessfully searching for one of the three duck he had dropped at dawn with no luck. I sent Meg over the dyke and in seconds she found it. But when she reached the near shore she put it down to get a better grip on the birds before climbing back up the steep bank and in a flash the duck was back in the water and it dived. Guessing it would make for the reeds on the far bank I sent her over the fleet and again she quickly recaught it some way further up the dyke. This time there was no mistake and she brought to hand a drake in almost full plumage. I got a ribbing as it was suggested that Meg had dropped it the first time so she could enjoy the sport of a second chase.

We thought that was it but just before we had sleeved our guns a single mallard appeared from nowhere. My Mate clipped with his first shot , but made no mistake with his second barrel and it splashed down into the water. This time both dogs uunged after it but Meg was not quick enough and the other dog brought the bird back.

Lunch time the sky clouded over and by mid afternoon it was raining hard. We had seen quite a few mallard flighting into a fresh cut stubble last night and we intended to flight them tonight. We arrived early in the pouring rain. Wasting no time we geared up and set off to our flighting spot flushing several mallard as we squelched across the field. Most of the duck departed at our arrival , but a few drifted back giving my friend a good chance that he missed . I should have had a bird of a bunch of three that came over high and fast. Seven mallard swung across the stubble passing wide of both of us and bore into the wind and rain before turning back. They came over travelling like bats out of hell. I got the first duck , but my shot at the second never even caught it up. There then was a long wait before we had and further chances. All the time there were mallard in the air and though some looked at our stubble none offered any chances until it was quite late on. A single duck streaked across my front a long way off. My single shot sent a gadwall bouncing on the grass on the far side of the field. And there was a good bunch of mallard that shot over head that I left for my mate who was not having any luck. They were on the dark side of the sky for him and he never fired. To be honest the chance they offered be would been very difficult , almost impossible as they were travelling so fast and as they came over my head they started to waffle , skidding across the sky.

It had been a great opening day , a day of contrasts with summer like weather at dawn and wet windy conditions during the evening flight. There had been plenty of duck I had shot well for once and all of the duck in the bag had been good strong flyers. A dozen duck between us was a brilliant way to open the new season.

Edited by anser2

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not every time marshman , but I do write quite a few fully up . One of these days I intend to get the more interesting ones togeather into a book when I retire in a few years. I expect you know the marsh well as your club has some shooting on the far river bank and one of your members had quite a few shots .He dropped one of the trio of egyptian geese that i let go as well as at least one mallard.

Went out on the 1st to warm lol had a long wait but two low mallard came over at around 8am and I winged one :( best thing was ma wee dog was across the river looked back once as if to say you sure? And off she went into the saltings 5 mins later she was skidding down the mud bank to cross back over the river with a big mallard in her chops! Great long retrieve well out of my sight and across a river! Happy days

The alarm was set for 2am, just enough time to get dressed, swallow a coffee and load the car and be out for 2:30 to pick up two other guns on the way to my first morning on a new duck and goose syndicate in Northants. With the two others duly collected at 3am we set of up the motorway for the hour long journey. We arrived with enough time to grab a coffee from the nearby service station, where we bumped into another group who were out for the '1st', a quick chat followed by a short drive to the farm gate where we waited for the other guns to arrive. Two other cars arrived 15 minutes later and the gate was opened and cars parked.

Introductions were made in the dark as kit was eagerly dragged from the vehicles and piled up in little lumps waiting to load onto an assortment of backs before heading off to our chosen locations. Two went off to the front field which bordered a pair of mid sized gravel pits, two others chose fields which were next to the river, whilst the syndicate leader C., friend S. and I went made our way to a barley stubble on the other side of a disused railway line. C. went off to the tree line at the top of the field, whilst S. and I chose a spot in the middle of the stubble that had a few thistles and poorly cut barley stalks, offering a bit of extra cover. We were to lay up under a straw coloured camo net. A dozen Canada and four Greylag decoys were placed around our position.

All the while, geese could be heard gabbling on the gravel pits that line the river valley, building the excitement. A mallard duck crossed our front from right to left, and she turned after a hail and a couple of quacks offering an easy shot, which I missed. About ten minutes later another mallard duck came in low from the left which was smartly shot by S. I think it may well have been the same one.

Around 15 minutes later a small skein of Greys crossed the railway line flying along the farm road, a couple of shouts turned them, but they pitched in about 100 yards away. Soon after a bigger skein followed the same line, once again calling turned them and on they came, flying over the small lot on the ground and heading straight at us from the left, soon they were over us, a cacophony of sound and beating wings; I gave the shout 'now' and S. and I sprang out of the ground, picked birds and fired. One down for me, the second shot finding thin air, whilst S. dropped one with his first, missed with the second, but scrambled one out with the third (which dropped on the farm track and appear for all intents to be stone dead in the air, but we never did find, despite running over the area with a dog a bit later). We could hear geese all the while getting off of the pits about half a mile away, but they went off in a different direction.

Next, came three Greys from the left, answering the call as they came on, up and over us, we sat up and promptly missed them all, such is shooting. A bit of a lull ensued, time to pick up the two Greys after first going to pick what became the vanished goose (??), and have a tea from the flask. Five Canadas crossed the rail line next, and they too swung round to the call, but too far to the left for a shot, and too low when they were behind as C. was in the tree line and the field ran up hill. More Canadas now, from behind and right, which gave C. a long chance which he took, the three remaining geese past out wide and high to the right, but responded to speculative calling, turned and came back, swinging out to the left and then over us, we sat and shot and a goose each fell. That appeared to be the flight over, so S., C., P. and I gathered around our spot in the field for a chat about the morning, before C. and P. went back to cars the cars for a bite to eat. S. and I got tucked back under the net as a fine drizzle started and a short while later another large skein of Greys crossed the line, catching us napping, swung round to the call but came over just too high and went back there way they came. This and the increasing rain signalled the end of went had been a great flight on a new shoot.

Back at the cars P. reported that he had shot four Greys, J. and his friend had two Greys and a Canada from the front field and C. had also had two Greys and a Canada for a total of 14 geese picked and one lost.

As an aside, I had 26 pigeons yesterday after an impromptu afternoon on a bean stubble, meaning a mass butchery session this evening after work.

Edited by Penelope

The alarm was set for 2am, just enough time to get dressed, swallow a coffee and load the car and be out for 2:30 to pick up two other guns on the way to my first morning on a new duck and goose syndicate in Northants. With the two others duly collected at 3am we set of up the motorway for the hour long journey. We arrived with enough time to grab a coffee from the nearby service station, where we bumped into another group who were out for the '1st', a quick chat followed by a short drive to the farm gate where we waited for the other guns to arrive. Two other cars arrived 15 minutes later and the gate was opened and cars parked.

Introductions were made in the dark as kit was eagerly dragged from the vehicles and piled up in little lumps waiting to load onto an assortment of backs before heading off to our chosen locations. Two went off to the front field which bordered a pair of mid sized gravel pits, two others chose fields which were next to the river, whilst the syndicate leader C., friend S. and I went made our way to a barley stubble on the other side of a disused railway line. C. went off to the tree line at the top of the field, whilst S. and I chose a spot in the middle of the stubble that had a few thistles and poorly cut barley stalks, offering a bit of extra cover. We were to lay up under a straw coloured camo net. A dozen Canada and four Greylag decoys were placed around our position.

All the while, geese could be heard gabbling on the gravel pits that line the river valley, building the excitement. A mallard duck crossed our front from right to left, and she turned after a hail and a couple of quacks offering an easy shot, which I missed. About ten minutes later another mallard duck came in low from the left which was smartly shot by S. I think it may well have been the same one.

Around 15 minutes later a small skein of Greys crossed the railway line flying along the farm road, a couple of shouts turned them, but they pitched in about 100 yards away. Soon after a bigger skein followed the same line, once again calling turned them and on they came, flying over the small lot on the ground and heading straight at us from the left, soon they were over us, a cacophony of sound and beating wings; I gave the shout 'now' and S. and I sprang out of the ground, picked birds and fired. One down for me, the second shot finding thin air, whilst S. dropped one with his first, missed with the second, but scrambled one out with the third (which dropped on the farm track and appear for all intents to be stone dead in the air, but we never did find, despite running over the area with a dog a bit later). We could hear geese all the while getting off of the pits about half a mile away, but they went off in a different direction.

Next, came three Greys from the left, answering the call as they came on, up and over us, we sat up and promptly missed them all, such is shooting. A bit of a lull ensued, time to pick up the two Greys after first going to pick what became the vanished goose (??), and have a tea from the flask. Five Canadas crossed the rail line next, and they too swung round to the call, but too far to the left for a shot, and too low when they were behind as C. was in the tree line and the field ran up hill. More Canadas now, from behind and right, which gave C. a long chance which he took, the three remaining geese past out wide and high to the right, but responded to speculative calling, turned and came back, swinging out to the left and then over us, we sat and shot and a goose each fell. That appeared to be the flight over, so S., C., P. and I gathered around our spot in the field for a chat about the morning, before C. and P. went back to cars the cars for a bite to eat. S. and I got tucked back under the net as a fine drizzle started and a short while later another large skein of Greys crossed the line, catching us napping, swung round to the call but came over just too high and went back there way they came. This and the increasing rain signalled the end of went had been a great flight on a new shoot.

Back at the cars P. reported that he had shot four Greys, J. and his friend had two Greys and a Canada from the front field and C. had also had two Greys and a Canada for a total of 14 geese picked and one lost.

As an aside, I had 26 pigeons yesterday after an impromptu afternoon on a bean stubble, meaning a mass butchery session this evening after work.

Great write up, and Anser2's too.

Typical

Tonight I decided to go mackerel fishing and after an hour I caught nothing so I was having a sit down and a can of coke and about 15-20 pintail fly over at about 40 yards high would have got a good rattle at them but now on reflection I think there was quite a few young birds flying in with the older birds.

Also saw quite a few mallard as well.

Roll on Saturday morning.