Midland Game Fair

andypaint

Just got back from the game fair. I think it will be the last time I go. Gunmakers row was a joke only 2 or 3 stalls worth looking at. No ladds guns or Oxford gun room. Very poor choice of cartridges to buy and even the regulars didn't have much. Food very expensive as usual. Not may bargains to be had and loads off cheap rubbish for sale.

I had also the intention to get a scope but only mtc and Cheshire gun room had any worth looking at.

So I came away very disappointed and not managed to spend much, I went looking for a gun but my local shop probably had as much as the game fair did.

Speaking to others I know I'm not alone. It seems rent for stalls to high and many businesses not attending midland but going to cla fair instead.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a shame as I always look forward to this event but can't make it this year - seems I may have saved myself some time and money.

Last year I had a real spend up at the Midland and came away with some great stuff. This year was more of a mooch about so I'm not too disappointed but a pity some of these events are nothing compared to what they used to be due to rents, etc.

I will be giving the South Yorkshire show in Doncaster a go in October but imagine that will be a low key affair without much choice but as it's local, there's no excuse for not going.

If Cheshire gun room hadn't have been there and avalon guns the gun row would have had less than 100 guns on the whole row. Saw plenty of clothing such as rydale and cheap tweeds. Fishing village was small also. I got there at 8-30 and had walked around the whole fair by 11 which is unheard of I'm usually finding new rows I'd missed most of an afternoon in years passed.

I was hoping for a demo of the Pulsar HD38s but No Thomas Jacks no Scott Country and couldn,t find anyone else with a demo, did handle a new one at Swillingtons stall, as always very helpfull but no batteries for a demo.

If this wasn,t on my doorstep I don't think I would be going again either

I went today, but it will be the last time. It's fine if you are looking for either very naff or very expensive clothing - they have plenty of both to choose from. Loads of footwear, too, if you like plastic boots or £300 wellies.

As already stated, gunmakers row was hopeless. Again, in you are vaguely interested in air rifles or shotguns, then there was quite a decent selection, but a lot of the second hand stuff was either way overpriced or totally dangerous looking - or both.

Nothing else to say about it really. Nothing good, anyway. :no:

I refuse to go this year.

I like to support my mates on the field target comp and look for bargain guns but I refuse to pay stupid entry fees.

Truthfully I hate seeing mobile phone and toy stands at a gun show.

The show has gone down hill every year and after 16 years of going I've had enough.

I'll stick to my local catton park

Anyone else been today?? I'm a bit hesitant to go now as I was going with the intention of looking for an English side by side

Yes I was there. ...... Agreed lots of dealers not there ....... Why do people have to go down Gun makers row with two or three dogs on long leads? and other folk with bags on their backs about two feet deep blocking the stands. Please excuse me while I take another Blood pressure tablet.

ok guys went yesterday after a break of 3 years ok I had me mum and dad with and I was pulling my lil girl rnd in her pink trailer but I didn't find it all that good s said above a lot of really cheap gear and very expensive but nothing in between I went there looking for a good pair of high leather boots with £170 to spend nothing even close it seem to me like most stall were advertising the rrp price then the slightly lower show offer price which still worked out more than the web price plus postage abit annoying as it cost £20 per person to get in in my case that was a further £80 for four adults and im not sure how much I got for that money I know these events cost a lot to put on but surely charging £20 a head they could make stall prices a lil better then the shops could pass it on or make it cheaper to get in didn't mean to rant but I look back at the days when spending £15/20 on entrance ment very good value on good equipment

After chatting to a stall holder it costs him £700 for a small pitch for two days plus an extra £180 if he wants electricity as he's not allowed a generator. But only allowed a 1000watts so after tills,card machine and other display equipment he doesn't have enough power to even boil a kettle not that he had enough to start off with. I would pay the £20 entrance fee if they give the stall holder's a break and make it busy again with trade. I remember a few years back it took most of the day just to look at gun makers row. And you needed both days just to see everything.

Guest topshot_2k

I thought it was pretty good, I made some decent savings on new lamping kit, rifle stuff etc. Gunmakers row did seem quite small this year with some of the usual big stands missing - Edgar brothers, Just carts, Browning? Also thought the food festival was much smaller.

Organisers need to take note and make it cheaper per pitch for shooting/countryside related traders

The Missis and I have been going to the MGF for the last few years and have always enjoyed the day out. This year was different though, we usually spent a few hours on gunmakers row but were disappointed by the lack of traders. Talking to one of the bigger ones on the row they said they would probably not be there next year due to the costs of the weekend. The airgun area was smaller. The whole fair seamed smaller this year with more tat and less shooting and fishing traders. It's a shame as we liked going but this year will be our last, voting with our feet and will be going to other smaller shows instead

People keep mentioning about the organisers taking notes ??? Really from PW ???

Ive been going to the MGF since shortly after it started in 1983 when it was just a small show,If I remember it was 87 when I first went.And its grown dramatically over the year's to what once "the" best show for country sports followers. But I'm afraid to say ive seen it starting to struggle to stay at the top of what was "the" country show to attend and meet like minded people.

The ever increasing number of bargain clothes stands, burger vans, massage chairs, home improvement stands. Loads more of stands that I can't remember due to lack of relevance to a country show.

BUT they can afford the £700 or maybe £1500 god knows, were as the little folk can't. So that's what will be there I'm afraid.

If you're not happy then let the organisers know, whether it makes a difference I doubt it.

well we have just got back and I do think it was rubish. We have been going for a number of years but I think with the amount of other people saying the same we cant all be wrong. If you just say out of interest that evrey car in the car park was £40 with the amount there I dowt they will ever listen and all there interested in is the money (just my thoughts)

Its a shame , I have been going since 1985 enjoying it grow into a fantastic weekend but have to agree this year (Saturday) for me was a let down. Every one walking round seemed flat and there was no buzz about the ground at all. I hope they can get it back for future shows as it has been a great one over the years, time to look at the price they charge for trade stands as many Salop Sniper and I talked to were complaining of overly expensive trade stands.

atvb Paul.