hi all having just bought a ruger m77 mk2 in .243 flavour and wanting to try getting into reloading for it [ with guidance from 2 very experienced mates] do any of you nice people have any 243 bullet heads in different gr I could have/ purchase from you only need a few of each different makes / weights to try so we can find a load that my new toy likes .

want to try and develop loads for fox and roe so if you have ant lying around that you could spare a couple of let me know please .

don't really want to [or can afford at the min] to be buying box after box from the shop to find the right ones

thanks in advance

hodge.

pic of new toy

post-12398-0-65600800-1413745069_thumb.jpg

Edited by hodge911

Nothing to spare I'm afraid but I have the exact same rifle. I've tried all sorts of pills and can recommend Nosler 70gr and 95gr Btips, 100gr Sierra SP, and 62gr Barnes varmint grenades. All the above will shoot ragged hole groups or tighter at 100yds,I did try some 55gr Nosler Btips and 55gr Hornady and got small groups but nothing as tight the 62gr grenades, they're silly accurate and devastating to use.

hodge I have a selection of different kinds of .243 bullets in a variety of weights and constructions

Initially sourced for an expansion test but that is history

between 3 and 15 of each

Hornady 87gr Interlock, 100gr Interlock, 95gr SST, 87gr Vmax, 75gr VMax, 105gr Amax, 85gr Spitzer SP, 58gr Vmax

Scierra 100gr Prohunter, 85gr Gameking

Nosler 95gr BT, 100gr Partition

Barnes 85gr TSX

Berger 105gr VLD Hunting

Speer 105gr SP

PM me

am open to offers

Nothing to spare I'm afraid but I have the exact same rifle. I've tried all sorts of pills and can recommend Nosler 70gr and 95gr Btips, 100gr Sierra SP, and 62gr Barnes varmint grenades. All the above will shoot ragged hole groups or tighter at 100yds,I did try some 55gr Nosler Btips and 55gr Hornady and got small groups but nothing as tight the 62gr grenades, they're silly accurate and devastating to use.

pm sent mate

Problem is its face to face on such things! For one bullet for both I recommend Nosler 95 grn B/Tip vhit N160 run fast, just don't use a short range brain shot on Roe. You cant re-invent the wheel with a .243 win its a well trodden path don't waste too much barrel life trying lots of different loads trying to squeeze out another 1/4 MOA on the range and try and test them well past 100 yards which shows very little of use all decently constructed loads will work very well at such a range

finally got to try my new toy yesterday only had 14 factory rounds that came with rife so decided to use them in groups of 3 put target board up and went back 100yds first round was fluffed by me as I had never fired the gun before and did not know what the timney trigger felt like next 3 rounds were to the left and low but all 3 were touching adjusted scope a little and next 3 were in same position as first three give or take a 1/4" but again all 3 touching then I realised I had not adjusted the scope just moved the disc with numbers round and that to adjust the scope the turret needs to be turned DOH!! SO ADJUST PROPERLY and next three touching [ in the picture they are the ones to the lower right] adjust a click or 2 back next 3 touching then the last single round and all the last 7 rounds are in pic the bullseye is 1/2" DIA so i,m more than happy with it .

so I,m now wondering do I really need to go down the lines of reloading if it shoots like that with factory rounds which were Winchester 80gr :hmm::hmm:

finally got to try my new toy yesterday only had 14 factory rounds that came with rife so decided to use them in groups of 3 put target board up and went back 100yds first round was fluffed by me as I had never fired the gun before and did not know what the timney trigger felt like next 3 rounds were to the left and low but all 3 were touching adjusted scope a little and next 3 were in same position as first three give or take a 1/4" but again all 3 touching then I realised I had not adjusted the scope just moved the disc with numbers round and that to adjust the scope the turret needs to be turned DOH!! SO ADJUST PROPERLY and next three touching [ in the picture they are the ones to the lower right] adjust a click or 2 back next 3 touching then the last single round and all the last 7 rounds are in pic the bullseye is 1/2" DIA so i,m more than happy with it .

so I,m now wondering do I really need to go down the lines of reloading if it shoots like that with factory rounds which were Winchester 80gr :hmm::hmm:

It looks as though the previous owner has done the work for you. I'd be inclined to make haste slowly provided you have a source of the same ammo. Then while you're shooting, you can work out what necessary equipment you'll need is going to cost, etc, etc which then, with your usage, will tell you if reloading is worth it or not - unless, of course you simply want to do so. Just save the brass in case you might.

It looks as though the previous owner has done the work for you. I'd be inclined to make haste slowly provided you have a source of the same ammo. Then while you're shooting, you can work out what necessary equipment you'll need is going to cost, etc, etc which then, with your usage, will tell you if reloading is worth it or not - unless, of course you simply want to do so. Just save the brass in case you might.

yeah he had the gun bedded and a timney trigger kit fitted

If it is not broken then don't try and fix it....

The round you just used sound fine to me, yes reloading is cheaper but you do need to use up a lot of rounds to come any where close to producing a cheap product.

Nothing wrong in reloading but no matter how pin hole accurate the round is, the same factor in a miss in either a factory or home load is us........Granted the miss is cheaper but a bolting fox or bounding roe is still the same....

What is the cost in a full set up divided by the cost of factory rounds and the number of outings?

I bet you will have shot every fox/deer in your area before you run out of rounds.....

However good luck....

TEH

But it is still a good feeling when you use your own loads when out hunting, don't think any of my CF have had more than a very few factory load through them.... :good:

Prefer home loads give me something to do when its peeing down outside and i don't fancy shooting in the rain.... :lol::lol:

You certainly got a good accurate gun Pete, kdubya spent a lot of time with it getting it so it is a sweet shooter...... :good:

Not only is that good grouping but also good shooting, I reload for 243 and 308, my 243 only liked sako ammo, which grouped well, but wanted to have a crack at reloading as sako wasn't the cheapest. I find it very rewarding and after a few thousand rounds have definitely saved money over the years. The main bulk of the ammo has been at paper testing loads or checking zero ( many times just for fun) but I could have saved money buying ammo if I had only used the rifles for zeroing and deer but what is the cost of my enjoyment. I never have to worry about being able to source the correct brand or bullet weight, the amount I reload started to calm down after a year or so but I learnt a hell of a lot about ballistics on the way. I have several real accurate loads for both rifles and just load as I need now with enough stock to probably last me a few years, I find it very satisfying using my own reloads when hunting, and a real good reason to escape to the shed when family life is hectic(especially when I briefed the children on how explosive the powder could be :lol: ) Reloading isn't for everyone but for many its a rewarding hobby in itself. :good:

Peter have a look at one of the threads cranfield put up apparently there is a fault with the server since the last site update he will post as soon as it is fixed.. :good:

cheers mike found it ...................this explains it then.............

cranfields notification ;

Posted Yesterday, 07:20 PM

Members are currently experiencing problems uploading to the Forum.

This follows a Server upgrade carried out at the end of last week.

Investigations are being carried out to find the root of the problem, so it can be repaired.

Hopefully, this will not take much longer.

Nowt wrong with that grouping mate, that's a dead deer or fox out to 200 YDS no mither, I've got a 243 browning a bolt.i got it brand new in February of this year, it shoots ppu 90g and 100g same as your groupings. I've shot roe , red and fox this year. It's getting a trip out to Warwickshire in 2 weeks after muntjac,

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ( as the saying goes) I've thought about going down the reloading route for the last couple of years, but don't need to. I might start reloading when I add the 308 to the gun cab though ha ha

As others have said re loading is a new hobby,

The decision is yours,

Above all enjoy it all,

Atb

Flynny