Anyone going under the moon ?

fenboy

Anyone been out or is planning a go under the moon thsi next couple of days ?

I will hopefully be having my first ever go under the moon tonight in my attempt to bag that pink I want , just hope the weather is suitable as it is the only chance I will get due to work .

Being a moon flight newbie any tips are welcome , is there a preffered time etc.

I would prefer to have a moon that rises about 3 or 4 hours after dark, the geese would have flighted in to the marsh and as the tide drops them off on the mud they tend to get restles and being a hungry bird they soon start to think about food, all you have to do then is try and get on there flight line.

Duck on the other hand will move all night on a moon.

Sky could be clear tonight with little in the way of wind. Tomorrow might be better if the cloud cover isn't too heavy, going to blow a bit but be wet with it.

http://xcweather.co.uk/forecast/sutton_bridge

Anyone been out or is planning a go under the moon thsi next couple of days ?

I will hopefully be having my first ever go under the moon tonight in my attempt to bag that pink I want , just hope the weather is suitable as it is the only chance I will get due to work .

Being a moon flight newbie any tips are welcome , is there a preffered time etc.

Sky could be clear tonight with little in the way of wind. Tomorrow might be better if the cloud cover isn't too heavy, going to blow a bit but be wet with it.

http://xcweather.co.uk/forecast/sutton_bridge

I am working tomorrow night so will not be able to get out , so its tonight or bust.

From what I have been told a good wind is not as important for moon flights as the geese tend to fly lower as a rule , could do wit some light cloud cover though to see them against.

Best of luck then.

I am working tomorrow night so will not be able to get out , so its tonight or bust.

From what I have been told a good wind is not as important for moon flights as the geese tend to fly lower as a rule , could do wit some light cloud cover though to see them against.

I was out last night and if you had been waiting for geese it would have been to clear and lack of cloud cover to do any good , that was on marshland where you go on the Wash it might be different . Speaking to the farm manager this morning at around 7am , he was telling me he went down to look on the wheat fields at midnight and there was nothing on there, and just then the first ones were calling in the distance and then you could see skein after skein coming from a way off heading to the area where we were having a yarn so I wouldn't have thought they had been feeding during the night .

But whatever the weather is tonight " Fenboy" you go and enjoy the experience, and there will be a lot of members including myself keeping our fingers crossed and wishing you the best of luck .

I am going on fenland Friday night and Monday under the moon I did ask advice from another fenland member but he never came back to me ,I think he must be busy .so just going to have a go never really did a moon flight before on the marsh but if you don't try you well never learn .hope I get a pink but it will be fun any way .

Yes typical the only night I can make and the weather is going to be pants for it.

Tricky conditions for a Moon Virgin. But still worth going Geese tend to fly higher on storey nights the Trick is to take your shots as Crossers NOT coming Towards you or Overhead as you will see you target and what shows as a light underside is in fact there rump and your end up shooting behind them also when you mount your Gun you will lose them in the black sky. With practice and patience shooting Geese as crossers will still be able to see your target clearly. Good luck Fenboy

Last night was a good sky for it.

Give it a go. You will always learn something even if the conditions aren't ideal. I haven't done much shooting under the moon, but I have been able to see pinks (and kill them) even with completely clear skies.

Tricky conditions for a Moon Virgin. But still worth going Geese tend to fly higher on storey nights the Trick is to take your shots as Crossers NOT coming Towards you or Overhead as you will see you target and what shows as a light underside is in fact there rump and your end up shooting behind them also when you mount your Gun you will lose them in the black sky. With practice and patience shooting Geese as crossers will still be able to see your target clearly. Good luck Fenboy

Thanks for the tip.

Last night was a good sky for it.

Give it a go. You will always learn something even if the conditions aren't ideal. I haven't done much shooting under the moon, but I have been able to see pinks (and kill them) even with completely clear skies.

I will be giving a go for a few hrs whatever , looking at the weather it does talk of some cloud at times anyway.

A mate of mine is coming after work to join me on the moon flight and he just txt me saying he is picking up some fish and chips on the way . happy days I have to drive 2 hrs to get two the wash so I will be there at 4 pm for the evening flight .hope to stay till about 11pm as I am pheasant shooting the next day .

i tend to shoot 2days before or after the full moon,before being no good to you at moment and probs 2 or 3 hours after it rises then i would just walk out with the tide and back in again as wigeon in particular move about all nite under the moon of love....nowt better than hearing the pinks when your out under it and there not far away :ninja:

Edited by Robbie Forster