Just looking some info.

Cartman

Ive had my licence a few months. To cut a long story short, the person who had allowed me permission to shoot on his land has suddenly told me I cannot shoot there anymore.

Im really puzzled, as I have not done anything wrong, and only shot there once before. After being really friendly for ages, he got really aggressive, accusing me of being dishonest and even got to the point where he told me if I came back on his land he would call the police!

At this point, Ill point out again that I genuinely have done nothing wrong and am totally perplexed as he won't even tell me exactly what I am supposed to have said or done that annoyed him so much!

Nowt queer as folk! But reading between the lines, I believe I now know why, and its very innocuous.

However, my point is, I wouldn't put it past him contacting the local police and informing them that he has withdrawn my permission to shoot and I would like to know where that will leave me.

Are the police liable to take notice? Will they look to remove my gun, or tell me to seek a new permission? At the moment, I intend looking for other land to shoot.

Please, if replying could it be based on fact rather than what you would image would happen?

Many thanks guys.

Shotgun or fac?

Beat me to it. If SGC no worries, you can still use it for clays 'til you find somewhere else to shoot. If it's FAC then your 'good reason' has just disappeared unless you can find a club locally to you, but that will entail a minimum 6 month probation period. Have you a shooting organisation you can contact for advice?

Edited by Scully

Fact is now you have your SGC you do not need land to shoot to maintain it as you can hold it for clay shooting etc.

The only issue is if the farmer makes some sort of accusation against you to the police which could cause the licence to be revoked , for instance if he said you were shooting without permission , that would be armed trespass and would cost you your licence and more.

No, he did admit that I done nothing wrong, and its not in relation to the gun or shooting for that matter. I believe its with regard to issues I have had many years ago with another farmer (pretty innocuous and unrelated to shooting in any way) who this guy is friendly with, and I suspect the other farmer put a flea in his ear.

Fact is now you have your SGC you do not need land to shoot to maintain it as you can hold it for clay shooting etc.

The only issue is if the farmer makes some sort of accusation against you to the police which could cause the licence to be revoked , for instance if he said you were shooting without permission , that would be armed trespass and would cost you your licence and more.

No, no issues re shooting without permission etc. I simply think the other guy has mentioned we had a few issues and because the other guy is his "pal" he has decided to remove my permission. Seems crazy behaviour for a grown man, but there you go

as has been said if it's sgc you are ok but if it's fac then get out there and find yourself some more permission or you will loose your good reason to have a fac,

if you go door knocking then don't mention the permission you have just lost as farmers talk and certainly round this way they all know eachother,

kick one and they will all limp

colin

Incorrect. You do not need a good reason for a shotgun gertificate. You can shoot it as often or as rare as you like. With firearms however it is different.

Edited by Steppenwolf

He said "you can hold it for clay shooting" I assumed from that statement that he meant that it would be the good reason for holding the shotgun. Maybe I just read his intentions the wrong way.

You do not need a 'good reason' of any sort to hold a SGC. There is nothing in law stopping you from having a cabinet full of shotguns and never using them.

Incorrect. You do not need a good reason for a shotgun gertificate. You can shoot it as often or as rare as you like. With firearms however it is different.

I was mearly pointing out you do not need land to maintain a certificate , there are plenty who just have one to shoot clays even if that is seldom.

You do of course need a good reason for the initial application .

Moral to this story

Don't get caught bonking the farmers daughter

Shotgun go to a clay club

Fac find some more ground and join a club practice is allways good

All the best

Of

At least that would be a genuine reason! :)

Unfortunately in this case, I have not been given a reason. I potentially have some new ground I might be able to get permission on shortly, hopefully.

I was more concerned at getting a knock at the door from the police saying as you don't have any active permission to shoot on land, we need your gun until you get it sorted.

I am joining the local clay club next week, so will have membership of a clay club as well.

Incidently, I run the scenario past my RFD, and he said that the police are unlikely to remove the SG, at most they will tell me to get land sorted out and report back to them

Edited by Cartman

I was mearly pointing out you do not need land to maintain a certificate , there are plenty who just have one to shoot clays even if that is seldom.

You do of course need a good reason for the initial application .

WRONG.

The onus is on the police to show that you do NOT have a good reason to possess a SGC.

The guidance notes state that :

11.18. No certificate shall be granted or renewed if the chief officer of police :

a ) (deals with prohibited persons)

b ) is satisfied that the applicant does not have a good reason for possessing, purchasing or acquiring one

So ( b )quite clearly states that, as opposed to FAC, where you need to show that you have a good reason to possess, for a SGC the police must be satisfied that you do not have good reason.

Edited by robbiep

Incidently, I run the scenario past my RFD, and he said that the police are unlikely to remove the SG, at most they will tell me to get land sorted out and report back to them

If it's just a SGC, then don't worry about it. You don't need to be part of a clay shooting club or anything.

If your renewal came around, and you didn't have anywhere to do pest control and you were asked about usage, just say that you go clay shooting occasonally. As long as you go 3 or 4 times a year, then you aren't lying.

Thanks lads, a lot of useful advice there. I am hoping to get a new permission on better land this week. My guns are on an FAC as I have a .22 as well.

When I get this other permission, do I need to submit it to the police/FAO or is it suffice just to hold onto the signed permission sheet in case its ever asked for?