Business men, Industry, Farmers, what's your view about Europe

islandgun

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I waffled on at length in another thread on this subject with some thoughts from a business and economics perspective, so wont repeat them again here.

On pure political motivation i would vote to get out, from the business perspective I am very much still uncertain. The FT has a city forum where some of our major industry leaders have been chatting about this and it is interesting that the uncertainty there is the very same.

Most favour substantial reform of the EU and I think that would be best too.

Lots more consideration needed by me if the tories get back in (hopefully) prior to the referendum in 2017.

Wev'e had a great deal of views from the man on the street about the EU, most have been enlightening and well put, it seems that the majority want out, Iv'e been wondering lately what are the views of the people who pay the wages,

With so many workers receiving tax credits these days perhaps you would be better putting the question to the bloke in the street after all?

KW

I can see both sides of the argument we worry about lots of people coming to live in our country but in fact it should only be a short term thing as in time there countries will get better with good jobs and higher pay.

In fact some of the money that we pay in is used for just that to upgrade there countries in the end I think that all of the countries in europe need to be together to comepeat against the big countries.

Much as I do not like the EU it could be better than the other choice have the Americans tell us how to live our life I am not against America but it does get rite up my nose when they tell us if you want to trade with us you cannot trade with Cuba or Russia etc or if you do we will fine your banks to me that is not a friend it is just a bully.

I would vote to come out of the EU as it is at present but in the end I think we should be in a revised EU.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Wev'e had a great deal of views from the man on the street about the EU, most have been enlightening and well put, it seems that the majority want out, Iv'e been wondering lately what are the views of the people who pay the wages,

Its imperative for all that we stay in Europe and don't alienate ourselves.

Immigration is a different issue which our elected Euro MP's should be negotiating hard to control.

We still have a massive skills shortage in this country and its not going to improve.. nationals have become infected with sloth and apathy and reliant on benefits long before the immigrant numbers burgeoned.

Leaving the EU will be followed by an exodus of some of the Large manufacturers and investors who will be morally and constitutionally obliged to support their own neighbouring partners. This will lead to a decline in manufacturing output, export reductions and increased unemployment.

We will be more dependant, in fact reliant on the influences of financial markets outside of Europe which are notoriously fickle and unstable...such as America and Asia ....interest rates will definitely have to be raised in order for us to compete and this will bring more misery for millions of British home owners.

Died in the wool nationalists who think that withdrawing from the EU is going to prevent migrants from arriving in this country in numbers are seriously deluded. The doors will have to be reopened to negotiate Fuel import prices and we wont have the clout of the EU behind us which is currently keeping imported oil prices across the member states stable... Gas, Crude and Petroleum will all increase in cost and that's a fact very difficult to get away from.

I'm afraid those wanting out of the EU have given very little thought to the consequences and have their opinion clouded by the race issues which underlie the fundamental manifesto of the euro sceptics.

Figs from 2012 below. Tax credits are not black and white.

5.8 million families, containing 9.3 million children, were tax credit recipients

or were receiving the equivalent child support through benefits;

These families comprised:

5.2 million families with children receiving CTC, or the equivalent via benefits:

1.5 million in which no adult was in-work

1.9 million in-work receiving the maximum CTC, and also receiving WTC

0.8 million in-work receiving less than the maximum CTC, but more than

the family element

1.0 million in-work receiving the family element of CTC

30 thousand in-work receiving less than the family element of CTC.

0.6 million families in-work without children, receiving only WTC.

3.0 million recipient families were couples (2.9 million had children).

2.7 million were single adults (2.3 million had children).

Later tables show that:

455 thousand families were benefiting from the childcare element of WTC; they

were receiving an average of £58 per week help with their childcare costs;

116 thousand families were benefiting from the disabled worker element of WTC;

The baby addition to the family element for families receiving CTC has been abolished

and there we have it once again IE if you want out of the EU its because you are a racist, well done FM you reach another low.

KW

The ironic thing about this is if you are racist it would be best for us to stay in the EU and most of the people who come to live here are dair I say it white christions with a way of life much like ours so soon fit in and there children look and sound the same as most of us the problem comes with people from all around the world it is not so easy for them to blend in the same way dair I say this we do not here of Polish or French boys going off to fight Gehad ????????????????????

One question I have is , all the motor manufacturers who are based in the UK ie Honda, Nissan ,Toyota JLR would they move into Europe if we left as they would have to pay import duty in to Europe.

There is no straight answer on that, suffice to say if it is was competitively advantageous for them to move then they would, if not they wont.

That is part of the problem, there is no clear answer to anything, it is all speculation and second guessing.

If we were to opt out the EU, but aim to stay part of the single market then the only thing that is likely to change is that we lose our influence in setting policies, etc as we would still have to comply with the vast majority of the EU rules, including free movement of people.

If we opt out of the single market then highly likely manufacturers such as Nissan would relocate.

Edited by grrclark

We do not have a skills shortage in this country.

Anyone can cut a cabbage or wash a car and our educational system has provided plenty of suitable candidates for such jobs.

Unfortunately our cost of living means such jobs are unviable to people unable to squat or aquire social housing and the various handouts reputedly given to immigrants.

We do not have a skills shortage in this country.

Anyone can cut a cabbage or wash a car and our educational system has provided plenty of suitable candidates for such jobs.

Unfortunately our cost of living means such jobs are unviable to people unable to squat or aquire social housing and the various handouts reputedly given to immigrants.

That is just simply not true. Yes there are multiple occupancy houses used by immigrants, but there are also plenty of immigrant families who rent privately and manage to get by on minimum wage type jobs as well. There are also lots of multiple occupancy houses used by British nationals as well.

Obviously different parts of the country have different challenges, but this broad brush assumption that all immigrants live 20 to a house or squat in order to be able to pay their way is quite simply not true.

That is just simply not true. Yes there are multiple occupancy houses used by immigrants, but there are also plenty of immigrant families who rent privately and manage to get by on minimum wage type jobs as well. There are also lots of multiple occupancy houses used by British nationals as well.

Obviously different parts of the country have different challenges, but this broad brush assumption that all immigrants live 20 to a house or squat in order to be able to pay their way is quite simply not true.

It's a fact that a lot get self employed jobs selling Big Issue newspaper because it means they can access benefits, so even our homeless are being dispossessed by them.

I waffled on at length in another thread on this subject with some thoughts from a business and economics perspective, so wont repeat them again here.

On pure political motivation i would vote to get out, from the business perspective I am very much still uncertain. The FT has a city forum where some of our major industry leaders have been chatting about this and it is interesting that the uncertainty there is the very same.

Most favour substantial reform of the EU and I think that would be best too.

Lots more consideration needed by me if the tories get back in (hopefully) prior to the referendum in 2017.

indeed this is my concern, if it is correct to assume that all governments are basically manipulated by big business and big business is unsure itself, who does know, we have seen UKIP has some serious money behind it, the cons obviously do, can I also assume that big business has our country's best interest at heart or are they only looking after themselves/business interest,

Edited by islandgun

everyone has forgotten what we voted for in 1974 a Europe with free trade between member states a common market after this vote was taken the country was slowly assett stripped.i lived and worked in coventry i watched as Alfred Herberts, Wickman Webster & Bennett Standard Morris motor panels ti matrix Massey Ferguson Rootes (peugeot) Daimler and other engineering companies have all followed suit along with gec these were great companies and employed a lot of people these sites have been replaced with houses. These companies have been replaced with foriegn owned brands that can move out at anytime jlr is moving to india and china will this be at britains expense

Are we really better off from a business perspective?

Annual UK/EU trade deficit soars to £56 billion

In response to a written question from the independent Labour Peer, Lord Stoddart of Swindon (Hansard 02.12.14), the Government has confirmed that the UK’s annual trade deficit with the EU has soared from £28.5 billion in 2010 to a colossal £56.5 billion in 2013.

Responding for the Government, the Minister of State at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills & Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Lord Livingston of Parkhead said: The UK’s trade deficit with the European Union was £28.5bn in 2010, £21.7bn in 2011, £39.5bn in 2012 and £56.2bn in 2013.

Commenting on the Government’s response, Lord Stoddart said: “This massive trade imbalance graphically demonstrates that more than 40 years of EU membership has done nothing for our economy and for jobs. It also demonstrates that the situation in recent years has dramatically deteriorated with the deficit very nearly doubling in just four years. It is quite clear that EU membership is a millstone around our country’s economic neck.”

Source

: ONS UK Economic Accounts 2014Q2

One question I have is , all the motor manufacturers who are based in the UK ie Honda, Nissan ,Toyota JLR would they move into Europe if we left as they would have to pay import duty in to Europe.

In all probability Yes... Like I said the xenophobes just haven't thought it through logically ... their extreme partisan views and personal dislike of the Premier have clouded intelligent consideration of the facts.

Probably get more of the same inane ramblings as a retort in justification of their fascist beliefs...and I use the word in its literal sense not as derogatory adjective.

In all probability Yes... Like I said the xenophobes just haven't thought it through logically ... their extreme partisan views and personal dislike of the Premier have clouded intelligent consideration of the facts.

Probably get more of the same inane ramblings as a retort in justification of their fascist beliefs...and I use the word in its literal sense not as derogatory adjective.

Forgetting all your inane ramblings for a minute, perhaps you could answer my question?

Why is it necessary to be in a political union with a country to be able to trade with it?

So a simple question for you, a simple answer would be appreciated.