How will this work then?

Scully

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have absolutely no idea how that is supposed to work and I despair at legislation (proposed or otherwise) such as this.

...Much in the same way you would report someone if they stumbled out of a pub and drove off in a car.

It's not fair that a child should have its life ruined by a parent who seemingly is too selfish to care that the child is inhaling their cigarette smoke.

I do not see how this could ever be enforced. I am not a smoker and I find smoking rather disgusting, but telling people what to do in their cars is rather far fetched, I think.

Having said that, I strongly believe that my dad's smoking in the house when I was a baby/todler has a lot to do with me developing respiratory issues later, but hey, this was the '70's, what did they know? :big_boss:

...Much in the same way you would report someone if they stumbled out of a pub and drove off in a car.

It's not fair that a child should have its life ruined by a parent who seemingly is too selfish to care that the child is inhaling their cigarette smoke.

You can say that again...

Does the Billy end in no mates then? :whistling: Yet another advocate of the report everyone for anything state we're encouraging to be introduced.

Typ[ical British Attitude, let's ban everything if it saves only one life right? Think of the children an all that...

One life..... What planet are you on. Much as it's a civil liberty to smoke tb your own car with your children where is their choice in this.

Personally I'd take the children into care when people were caught as it's usually the ones that really could do with being removed from their parents......

While I can agree with your second sentence I think your first misses the point. If we're a passenger in a car driven by the owner and he lights one up with one of his kids in the back, where does that leave us? Proposed legislation means we have now been placed with a duty to stop him.Even if you tell him to stop the car and you will get out, you have still failed to stop him smoking in his own car. Ill thought out proposal to say the least I would have thought, unless I've missed something.

Edited by Scully

I don't disagree that being in a smoke filled car is bad, but that misses the point about bad legislation.

The next thing will be we will have to have a gizmo in the car to make the car only go at the speed that the road sign says 20 30 40 50 60 70. no more speeding then cars that drive them self I can see it now you go to get in the car and it tells you to put out that fag put your phone away sit up striate and stop talking oh what fun that will be.

While I can agree with your second sentence I think your first misses the point. If we're a passenger in a car driven by the owner and he lights one up with one of his kids in the back, where does that leave us? Proposed legislation means we have now been placed with a duty to stop him.Even if you tell him to stop the car and you will get out, you have still failed to stop him smoking in his own car. Ill thought out proposal to say the least I would have thought, unless I've missed something.

I would say something to my mate if they decided to smoke in the car with a child in tow.

I'd lose all respect for someone who did this, law or no law. It's dangerous and has chemical and social effects on the child, why anyone would be more desperate to smoke a cigarette than to ensure their child grows up learning that smoking is bad and dangerous...

If you're that desperate for a cigarette, just pull over and have one outside of the car. Better still (child's behaviour depending!) walk away from the car and don't let the kid see you smoking.

If you want to smoke yourself to death, then be my guest, but don't take other people to the grave with you.

I would say something to my mate if they decided to smoke in the car with a child in tow.

I'd lose all respect for someone who did this, law or no law. It's dangerous and has chemical and social effects on the child, why anyone would be more desperate to smoke a cigarette than to ensure their child grows up learning that smoking is bad and dangerous...

If you're that desperate for a cigarette, just pull over and have one outside of the car. Better still (child's behaviour depending!) walk away from the car and don't let the kid see you smoking.

If you want to smoke yourself to death, then be my guest, but don't take other people to the grave with you.

Again, I totally agree. But that isn't the point the proposed legislation is making. If you're in the car with your mate and he's smoking with a kid in the back, and you say something to him and he carries on smoking, where does that leave you? You have failed to stop him smoking and therefore face a possible £50 fine. Even if you say stop the car, and then you get out, you have still failed to stop him.

Either the reporter has heard it wrong or it's a completely ludicrous proposal.

Again, I totally agree. But that isn't the point the proposed legislation is making. If you're in the car with your mate and he's smoking with a kid in the back, and you say something to him and he carries on smoking, where does that leave you? You have failed to stop him smoking and therefore face a possible £50 fine. Even if you say stop the car, and then you get out, you have still failed to stop him.

Either the reporter has heard it wrong or it's a completely ludicrous proposal.

Personally, I wouldn't surround myself with someone who is likely to smoke in a car with a child, so I'm not overly fussed! If you're in a car and your friend doesn't heed your advice, then I think you need to revaluate your friendship with that person. I'm sure the police will get the picture if they came after you for not stopping them, as you'd probably have some colourful language to say about said person. :rolleyes:

Edited by Billy.

So you are stuck in traffic and there are kids in the car with the windows open, compared to a car with someone smoking in it with kids with the window open.

Passive smoke has little affect compared to the amount of pollutants found in exhausts.

You have some scientific evidence of that?

You have some scientific evidence of that?

Hmmm let me think, look at the correlation of increase in asthmatics to the car ownership. The fact that a study showed in the US that there was a direct relationship between children living near busy roads and asthma. Also the fact that petrol and diesal have more complex chemical composition than dried plant leaves.

So are you afraid of children being near barbeques, bonfires for what they possibly can breath in, but you are perfectly happen with the walking next to heavy traffic.

How you can think that dried leaves can affect your children more than thousands of cars pumping out fossil fuels into the atmosphere.