Best cartridge for driven duck?

The best cartridge is tungsten but very expensive then bismuth.

If your gun is proofed for Hp steel with the fleurs de lys symbol then gamebores 32g 4shot steel carts will do nicely.

Not sure if this is the load you were thinking of? for what it's worth Gamebore's website suggest the size 4 can be used with non HP steel barrels (I seem to recall that there is a leaflet with similar info in the box). Don't want to open up the whole steel proof debate - but just thought I would add what info Gamebore give :good:

http://www.gamebore.com/products/33/12g-game-wetland-steel

Not sure if this is the load you were thinking of? for what it's worth Gamebore's website suggest the size 4 can be used with non HP steel barrels (I seem to recall that there is a leaflet with similar info in the box). Don't want to open up the whole steel proof debate - but just thought I would add what info Gamebore give :good:

http://www.gamebore.com/products/33/12g-game-wetland-steel

you are correct sir, no4,s and above is fine, I use them in my 1974sxs

Down side ... plastic wad ...stand steel pressures only suitable for bnp barrel .. super steel "assuming the super referres to pressure !! ... is a fleur de lyes shotgun .. chokes "none extended" ideally needs to be max 1/2 choke or less .. no hardship .. steel.patterns tighter ..incidently a 4 steel doesn't equate to a 4 lead kinetically ..ideally you need a shot size or two up, ideally

Edited by hoggysreels

Down side ... plastic wad ...stand steel pressures only suitable for bnp barrel .. super steel "assuming the super referres to pressure !! ... is a fleur de lyes shotgun .. chokes "none extended" ideally needs to be max 1/2 choke or less .. no hardship .. steel.patterns tighter ..incidently a 4 steel doesn't equate to a 4 lead kinetically ..ideally you need a shot size or two up, ideally

This old chestnut keeps on coming up. A modern magnum shotgun is more than capable of handling HP steel.

This old chestnut keeps on coming up. A modern magnum shotgun is more than capable of handling HP steel.

If you want to shoot HP steel through a gun not proofed for it, then I'd suggest advising your shooting companions that you're doing so. See if they're happy to be next to you.

While you're at it, why not advise your shooting insurance provider, and see if they're still happy to cover you ?

If you want to shoot HP steel through a gun not proofed for it, then I'd suggest advising your shooting companions that you're doing so. See if they're happy to be next to you.

While you're at it, why not advise your shooting insurance provider, and see if they're still happy to cover you ?

I would quite happily stand beside motty shooting HP steel through a " non steel proofed gun", in fact i have done in the past. Guns are more than capable of taking it.

I would quite happily stand beside motty shooting HP steel through a " non steel proofed gun", in fact i have done in the past. Guns are more than capable of taking it.

l'd think your right .. were all grown up and responsible .. its for the individual .. personally l just use the standard steel through my BNP shotguns... but ld not critize anyone who decides to use mags ..

Edited by hoggysreels

Let's not be silly. I think magnum proof is somewhere in the region of 1050 bar. This equates to over 15000 psi. As I have posted elsewhere, some of the fastest/hottest steel home load recipes that I use are only 13000 psi.

Safe enough? I think so.

Guest cookoff013

Guys. HP criteria by the cip is average 1050bar with an upper pressure that must not be exceeded of 1200bar. That's 1.15 times the pressure.

That upper limit is for the variation.