Roofing Felt

steve_b_wales

I think its called 'mineral felt' its got jaggy grit on the surface. Plain roofing felt is mainly used under other roofing materials, tiles or slates.

Blackpowder

I think the felt underneath the sheets/on top of the boards is very thin.

Buy the heaviest grade you can and a box of clout nails too. Bitumen adhesive to glue the laps down really does help too and pretty cheap at around £10 for 5L.

I will get the best that's available. :good:

I'd use something like http://www.screwfix.com/p/felt-support-tray-1-5m-pack-of-5/36622 alongthe bottom edge. Depending how far up the the felt is damaged you might not have to strip the roof just slide this under the felt

The link does'nt work. But I'll look it up. :good:

If you're going to strip the roof have you thought of using a breathable felt like http://www.screwfix.com/p/protect-a1-roofing-underlay-1-x-15m/31617. Just out of interest why felt it if the sheets are ok, is it a plyed roof that has been clad over?

The roof was made out of 8x4' x1/2" boards, then felt was applied before the steel sheets were added. The felt was cut too short where the guttering is. I'll check it out properly when its a dry day, and see if I need to strip the roof and re-felt it, or buy the felt support trays, as was suggested.

Thanks. :good:

Cheers Mike. I'll check out what's been mentioned and decide what to do. Hopefully, I may not have to take the sheets off, but just repair the edge by the guttering.

If that's the case just loosen the sheets at the eaves, lift then and slip the Hyload under the existing felt and dress it into the gutter.

Any good builders merchant should sort you out with the Hyload or similar polythene DPC it comes in standard wall widths up to 600 wide in 20m rolls.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

If that's the case just loosen the sheets at the eaves, lift then and slip the Hyload under the existing felt and dress it into the gutter.

Any good builders merchant should sort you out with the Hyload or similar polythene DPC it comes in standard wall widths up to 600 wide in 20m rolls.

Thanks

make sure before you re-felt the wood is bone dry or you will trap moister under the new felt and it will rot in no time

Thank You.

pity youre not closer to me as i sell all types of roofing felt and d.p.c,s , i would do as most people have suggested, use a good quality 18" dpc. Hyload trade or Hyload house builder, for cheepness you could get away with a standard p.vc-d.p.c

make sure youre boards are dry or replace them, if you want to have a sacrifial layer under neath something like protec A1 or Wunderlay will do. you dont need the expense of a breather felt

shaun

pity youre not closer to me as i sell all types of roofing felt and d.p.c,s , i would do as most people have suggested, use a good quality 18" dpc. Hyload trade or Hyload house builder, for cheepness you could get away with a standard p.vc-d.p.c

make sure youre boards are dry or replace them, if you want to have a sacrifial layer under neath something like protec A1 or Wunderlay will do. you dont need the expense of a breather felt

shaun

Thanks for the advice, and to all the others who have suggested a way to repair the roof. I will wait until we get better weather (?) and take a good look at the roof.

Steve. :good: