Replacement Car Key

RedRobin

Hi all

I need another Key for my Outlander.

Ive been quoted £250 for a Key ... yes £250 for a Key & Central Locking type Fob. I about Fainted ! A Lot of Money

Are they're any other options other than through a Main Dealer ?

I have the original programmed key .

Thanks

RR :good:

Thanks for that, I did remember reading his Topic , but couldnt find it searching , Nice One

neil82

Posted 28 minutes ago

there are a few independent locksmiths around who can provide and code keys, but still won`t be cheap

I paid less than that for my Porsche, go to an indie be 175 ish

I found a place on ebay for a new key for my reno van £60 ish

Yes , Im hoping I can find someone locally ish.

Ive seen some advertised, Prices vary loads ... from £40 , £80 and upwards.

Edited by RedRobin

Go into Leicester and onto Greenlane road and look for a hardware shop called Bouldins (It has a green painted frontage with the typical clutter outside) , They cut and programme transponder keys for about £50-00 but take your master key and not one of the spare's.

For a remote key/fob I think that will be a main dealer job.

I would ask in one of those shoe-repair shops that also cut keys I got one for the vitara that I used to have it was £25 at that time but they was doing an offer on them at the time 1/2 price the maine dealers wanted getting on for £100 at the time.

on my Jeep it says in the hand book if you have the two keys that it comes with if you can get another one cut there is a way that you can program the new key in the car sounds strange but that is what it says.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

on my Jeep it says in the hand book if you have the two keys that it comes with if you can get another one cut there is a way that you can program the new key in the car sounds strange but that is what it says.

It is possible on various cars. It's all about different button presses, turning ignition on an off etc in a sequence to match the key transponder to the car.

I think this might be the link to the outlander.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/molurch/2012-07-18_200536_key.pdf

Edited by Marki

I have been having problems with the fob for my Freelander 2. Sometimes, I could not unlock/lock the vehicle, even when I pressed down hard on the fob buttons. I took the fob apart with some difficulty, to see if there was anything broken/worn inside, but it looked okay. Taking the circuit board out and pressing the buttons on it, I could lock/unlock it okay. So I put a small, very thin piece of wood in the recesses where the buttons were, and everything works well now. How long this will work is anyone's guess. But for now it will do.