Help to ID a couple of guns

Curly87

My dad was always a keen shooter who sadly passed away when I was quite young.

I'd really appreciate any info on these two guns below, both of which I remember my dad using.

The first is this old folding .410 which I currently have. It doesnt have any makers name on it, only some proof marks. Would be great to know its age and where it was made.

5f8d9af8-506e-4de6-b24e-96dab5b9652f_zps

62c3c4c5-9001-453b-991c-508f60ccedd3_zps

photo51_zps8c129366.jpg

The second might be a bit trickier, unfortunately this gun has been destroyed. My older brother informed me it was chucked in a pond, not sure how much truth is in this! Not a very clear image, and its the only one I have but from looking at the stock and the action, I am thinking a Remington Model 11?? I know it was an auto and thats about it!

photo28_zpse0a93031.jpg

photo18_zpsa9a873ae.jpg

Would love to find out the model of this shotgun, purchase one and see if I could bag some pigeons as well. Still have the cartridge belt!

The browning A5 was made from 1903 to 2000 some 2,500,000 were produced ,Browning licensed the design to Remington, who produced it as their Model 11 (1905–1948). The Remington Model 11 was the first auto-loading shotgun made in the USA.

The belgian 410 is a 65mm(2 1/2") nitro proofed in Liege about 1950 a basic and very common product back then.

Edited by Andy H

Thanks Chaps! Great response, given me some stuff to look into.

Are those browning A5s still kicking about?

There is a very nice FN example with a Cutts Compensator in the Skipton Gunroom. I think it's been advertised on GT, for around £350. Was quite tempted myself for a while.

My dad was always a keen shooter who sadly passed away when I was quite young.

I'd really appreciate any info on these two guns below, both of which I remember my dad using.

The first is this old folding .410 which I currently have. It doesnt have any makers name on it, only some proof marks. Would be great to know its age and where it was made.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//{var d=b[p];if(0{var d=h;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload", B);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var v,w=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:h.innerHeight||k[m].clientHeight||k.body.clientHeight,width:h.innerWidth||k[m].clientWidth||k.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},x=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e)if(a=!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=k.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in h?h.pageYOffset:(k[m]||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in h?h.pageXOffset:(k[m]||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e[n]&&c<=b.e[l])}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};w.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function( B){b.getBoundingClientRect&&x(this, B)};r("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function( B){v.checkImageForCriticality( B)});r("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){y(v)});var y=function( B){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a[p]+e[p]&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+g(JSON.stringify(z())),131072>=a[p]+e[p]&&(a+=e),d=!0);A=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(h.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(h.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(s){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch( B){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+g( B)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},z=function(){var b={},d=k.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d[p])return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in B)&&0=b[a.src].k&&a[n]>=b[a.src].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a[l],rh:a[n],ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},A="";r("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return A});r("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var s=new w(b,d,a,e,f);v=s;c&&u(function(){h.setTimeout(function(){y(s)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=8fb3b24b1224f0e2263287adc6889b51&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=302880&p=2728428&md5check=62d3855b41cb20aca154fcd4dc6a9e54&isRte=1,iruQp7rrl-,true,false,1uUP2bpyUbo'); //]]></script>5f8d9af8-506e-4de6-b24e-96dab5b9652f_zps[l]&&0

62c3c4c5-9001-453b-991c-508f60ccedd3_zps

photo51_zps8c129366.jpg

The second might be a bit trickier, unfortunately this gun has been destroyed. My older brother informed me it was chucked in a pond, not sure how much truth is in this! Not a very clear image, and its the only one I have but from looking at the stock and the action, I am thinking a Remington Model 11?? I know it was an auto and thats about it!

photo28_zpse0a93031.jpg

photo18_zpsa9a873ae.jpg

Would love to find out the model of this shotgun, purchase one and see if I could bag some pigeons as well. Still have the cartridge belt!

[l]&&0

The shotgun is most likely is a Rem mod 11. I saw and handled one some years ago. They go back to a time before ww2 when there was a time when Remington produced these. They are almost the same as a Browning 5 shot auto. I think that a lot of them were produced and used by the US forces. During the war the RAF used clay pigeon shooting to sharpen up the air gunnery skills of pilots and gunners. Google up Rem mod 11. Link to info.>>> http://www.remington.com/products/archived/shotguns/autoloading/model-11.aspx

And this lik to a youtube video. It was this guys Dad's gun. Get the tissues out time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCpL83cP9RA

There probably aren’t many of these about here being of an age and you would probably have to have it on a FAC to own and shoot it as it was a five shot.

AS for the four ten there were a lot around made in Belgium right back to when. They used to be sold for a few shillings out of ironmongers shops and took an awful lot of rabbits and other targets out of trees. I've got one that probably goes back to the 1920’s. My oldest sisters husband gave me this when he packed up and he is in his 80's now. His uncle gave it to him and he said that it had taken hundreds of targets out of trees and rabbits bolting from ferret nets. When I pick it up it is so small that it feels like a kids toy popgun. I can’t imagine having this as my only gun and relying on it to put meat on the table but this is what they did all over the country back in those days.

PS to above. In my posts I have a thread about a sbs 20 bore that belongs to one of my son in laws and there is a bit of confusion about the true year of some of these proof marks. In the case of the 20 it appears that the barrels could have been made and proofed at a different time that the gun was in use. almost as if they had been stored . The marks gave conflicting data as to when the gun was actually made. it could have been before the war in the 30's or in the 50's. It also appeared that the gun was made by diferent companies like as if it was made by sub manufacturers and then assembled and finnished by someone else. Confusing isn' it.

Edited by fortune

The browning A5 was made from 1903 to 2000 some 2,500,000 were produced ,Browning licensed the design to Remington, who produced it as their Model 11 (19051948). The Remington Model 11 was the first auto-loading shotgun made in the USA.

The belgian 410 is a 65mm(2 1/2") nitro proofed in Liege about 1950 a basic and very common product back then.

Just found this http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940944/proofmarks.pdf

You are indeed correct, and others who said it was from Belgium.