Arc welder

bang bang birdy

Personally I feel that there is very little difference between various arc welders for home use other than cycle times and how well they cool. The sealey looks fine, what are you planning to use it for? The one I use cost about £25 10 years ago and I use that to weld 3mm angle iron without any problems,

Not really enough info.

Type of use, largest rods required, portability, etc. Even price range.

A good inverter welder may be an ideal candidate, but pricey.

As you appear not to be particularly experienced, you may well accept an inferior welder as 'good value'. I've used several and it is far easier to weld with a stable arc from a capable machine than compromise on things such as penetration while using one with a too small capacity.

I'm not an expert by any means, but my heavy single/dual phase oil-cooled welder (of rather more power than the typical 'hobby' welder) strikes easily and gives a good steady arc making it sooo much easier for me to make a good weld.

It is like my compressor - it soaks up my single phase supply at start up, so would be better on a three phase supply!

I bought one at Aldi for £29 last year and it has been fine, it came with rods plus fairly low quality wire brush, hammer and mask . I don't do much welding other than repairs and bits and pieces so for my needs its been great.

Edit due to wordswords being repeated by my stupid tablettablet.

Edited by FalconFN

I bought one at Aldi for £29 last year and it has been finefine, it came with rods plus fairly low quality wire brush, hammer and mask . I don't do much weldingwelding other than repairs and bits and pieces so for my needs its been great.

I bought Aldi one five years ago after my old s.i.p. welder gave up after 30 years use , aldi one is good value and no problems so far :good:

while on the subject -- ive been given a ferm concept 210 arc welder , I don't have a clue how to use it , safety ins and outs etc , what its capable of or not . stuff like whats the thinnest and thickest and types of metal it will weld.

I,m hoping it will be ok for various welds on my old motors , plus I want to weld some metal disks together to make up some weights for an home gym etc etc

how easy are they to learn DIY teach yourself etc.

I used a fusion inverter welder for 3/4 years regularly. Burning 3.2mm rods welding 3-10mm steel with no problems. Cant remember for sure but think it was 150 amp 110 volt supply but needed a 32amp rather than 16amp to get it welding with a consistent steady arc. I run it of a generator or a transformer box.

fronius dc inverter, spendy but rather bloody good.

spot on ..i have one too...............................but if your are not "in tune" wth MMA................i think the best thing is a cheap MIG unit.......

PS Paddy......took my Fronius in for a service at Mig Anglia......£80.00 bloody quid !!

spot on ..i have one too...............................but if your are not "in tune" wth MMA................i think the best thing is a cheap MIG unit.......

PS Paddy......took my Fronius in for a service at Mig Anglia......£80.00 bloody quid !!

that's where we got ours, i'm glad it's still in my dad's possession, he can service it :lol:

does yours run ok on a 13 amp plug? ours does but we have to be careful to uncoil the leads as they don't half get hot :whistling:

Thats cheap ditchman, last time i went to Mig Anglia, I came out 800 quid lighter. But i did come out with a nice Migotronic :lol:

that's where we got ours, i'm glad it's still in my dad's possession, he can service it :lol:

does yours run ok on a 13 amp plug? ours does but we have to be careful to uncoil the leads as they don't half get hot :whistling:

i can burn 4mm rods on the Fronius on 13amp.....smooth as butter as well.....................i used to run it off a generator with 35metres......i rekon it used to work and burn smoother like that ..than sitting in the shed off the mains ....

Thats cheap ditchman, last time i went to Mig Anglia, I came out 800 quid lighter. But i did come out with a nice Migotronic :lol:

i had my eye on a CMT machine ....welding aluminuim to steel.......it was only £7500.00 !!!

Stay away from the gasless sets they are **** u can buy mini argoshield bottles from boc now and the rent is only £20 a year

i can burn 4mm rods on the Fronius on 13amp.....smooth as butter as well.....................i used to run it off a generator with 35metres......i rekon it used to work and burn smoother like that ..than sitting in the shed off the mains ....

i had my eye on a CMT machine ....welding aluminuim to steel.......it was only £7500.00 !!!

If u could weld aluminium to steel u would be a millionaire

Stay away from the gasless sets they are **** u can buy mini argoshield bottles from boc now and the rent is only £20 a year

If u could weld aluminium to steel u would be a millionaire

CMT machines were developed for the new generation of Boron steel ...aluminuim carbodies.......CMT......cold metal transfere....as i said the starting price for them is £7500 quid....

Been welding aluminium and stainless for last 15 years and never heard of it I know you can bond it if the steel is coated with the correct coating but it wouldn't be wise as aluminium acts as a sacrificial anode when put in contact with mild steel

when i was picking up some "dissimalar" rods from mig anglia a while ago he showed the set off to me....it is not so much the equipment, it is the computor managment programme that controls the mig unit.....it was ...believe it or not developed and invented by a woman.......the amazing thing is you can touch the metal within 10secs of it being done and it is just warm.....it leaves a finish like hand tig....and was developed for the car industry

it is true smoke and mirrors and i refused to believe it when i first saw it ......they do use a special wire tho .....

when i was picking up some "dissimalar" rods from mig anglia a while ago he showed the set off to me....it is not so much the equipment, it is the computor managment programme that controls the mig unit.....it was ...believe it or not developed and invented by a woman.......the amazing thing is you can touch the metal within 10secs of it being done and it is just warm.....it leaves a finish like hand tig....and was developed for the car industry

it is true smoke and mirrors and i refused to believe it when i first saw it ......they do use a special wire tho .....

It has been around for a few years in the car industry but I think Honda were the first to use in on major structures. Where a continuous run isn't necessary we just use self piercing rivets. I think the wire just has to have a high silica content but it's been a couple of years since I looked into it so it may have changed.

I weld for aerospace, have been doing it since I left school, coded in mig and arc first, finished all my college deploma and then went into aerospace, I do about 16 codes ever 6 months, welding for the MOD at the minute on the typhoon and hawk. Also do repairs on Westland sea kings and Lynx, all the welding is x rayed, PFD tested and pressure tested. I love it :) glad I took that career choice (all because I like fabricating programs on discovery)

I would say any welder if it's just for hobby welding. there's so many on eBay and iv used a lot of cheap ones on friends farms etc over the years and there all good value for money I wouldn't spend an arm and a leg.