Knife re-grinding

winnie&bezza

Hi all, I've got a a ray mears bushcraft knife with Micarta handle (not the megabucks one) which I've had for 11 years and over the years I lost the flat grind and could never get it back. I invested in tormek grind system and used the knife jig to put a new grind on it,but obviously being a round wheel it put a hollow grind on it. So question is there anyone on here that could put a flat v grind on it if I sent it to them? Cheers

That's interesting to know but if you grind it with a belt surely it will be flat? Or were the original Scandi grinds ground with something different?

As usual i have confused the issue :rolleyes: i should have said the scandinavian knives not the RM Bushcraft knives although i have seen a couple that have had a convex grind put on, theory being easier for food prep with a secondary bevel only having to sharpen a small area.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit : Can you put a pic on and have you tried the edge.

Edited by photon

Just use the grinding face on your tormek by hand and take much care. You can get it flat, no problem. .... rub your knife hollow with black marker pen to see where you are with the flat dressing and to keep it even on both sides. Unless you have worn away your Tormek wheel so it is now a very small diameter, it will not be too bad especially as you won't make the mistake again.

Yeah that makes sense mate and I've learned something new! Id like to put a pic up but it just says file too large. So malkie do you use the side of the wheel or face as surely if I use the front face it will be hollow ground again? Sorry if I sound clueless! Ha I've only used it a few times and had it about 4 years which is scandalous as I'm a carpenter and I bought it for chisels, plane irons etc but it's easier to use my £14 b&q wheel grinder as it's faster and less hassle to set up! Cheers

I would but is his name Matt fieldcrafter on here?

Yeah that makes sense mate and I've learned something new! Id like to put a pic up but it just says file too large. So malkie do you use the side of the wheel or face as surely if I use the front face it will be hollow ground again? Sorry if I sound clueless! Ha I've only used it a few times and had it about 4 years which is scandalous as I'm a carpenter and I bought it for chisels, plane irons etc but it's easier to use my £14 b&q wheel grinder as it's faster and less hassle to set up! CheersI would but is his name Matt fieldcrafter on here?

Matt fieldcrafter-uk is his name on here, just search members at top of the page.