R.I.P

d17 len

This day in 1998 saw the passing of not only a great politician, but a man outcast from his political party for reading a speech that was backed by 74% of the population of this island at the time, and in later years the Prime minister of that time (Edward Heath) yes that's him ,the one who took us into the EU, finally had to come clean and agree with this mans thoughts, so , if you are looking down today and thinking "I told you so" do not blame us the people, blame the politicians who still refuse to listen to the voters and wise men like you.

Rest in peace, ENOCH POWELL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

potentially one of the most misquoted lines in any speech and almost certainly the least understood

"As i look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seen to see "the river Tiber foaming with much blood"

as a classical scholar EP would have been referring to very different set of events than those to which he is attributed

The other thing that was grossly misunderstood about Enoch Powell was that he put in an incredible amount of work to integrate an immigrant community.

as MP for Wolverhampton he worked to attain jobs, housing and integration for all the immigrants in his constituency at that time.

The government of the day then decided to increase the numbers of immigrants to be allowed in.

Enoch opposed the increase in numbers because he said that the only way his community take on more would be to kick the existing immigrants out of their houses and jobs to make way for new ones.

It was when the government told that was what he must do that he made his 'rivers of blood' speech and he was labelled an anti-immigration racist. He was nothing of the sort.

This day in 1998 saw the passing of not only a great politician, but a man outcast from his political party for reading a speech that was backed by 74% of the population of this island at the time, and in later years the Prime minister of that time (Edward Heath) yes that's him ,the one who took us into the EU, finally had to come clean and agree with this mans thoughts, so , if you are looking down today and thinking "I told you so" do not blame us the people, blame the politicians who still refuse to listen to the voters and wise men like you.

Rest in peace, ENOCH POWELL

8th of feb was a busy day. Its also the day the last queen of scotland was executed and the present monarch ascended to the throne. Few hundred years in between of course.

Enoch Powell I always thought was an incredibly straight forward man. He always told it as he saw it and never sought to make personal gain from what he did. Most of the present crop of politicians would not fit that description.

Yes he was right, thats beyond question.

+1