which insurance??????

mosa

mosa

Do us all a favour and do a search. This subject has been flogged over recent months, and some members will be getting tired of giving the same answer to the same question.

Im with BASC, not the cheapest, but if you want the best, you need to pay.

webber

:oops:-->

QUOTE(steve b @ Mar 19 2007, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would go for BASC, they are extremely good with enquiries with a great team of professionals on hand to answer your queries. In my opinion they are the true voice of shooting in the uk

i use basc. Never had to claim or want to in that case!!! But you never know!!!

good service but can give good advice on diffrent problems you might have

A word of warning about the CPSA though - with this recent attempt to distance themselves with real shooting its very likely they will soon drop the fieldsports cover from their insurance offering as well.

If you do any kind of game or vermin shooting cross the CPSA off your list, unless you have other insurance and require CPSA membership to shoot registered events in addition. They won't lift a finger to help you in a pinch, I know from experience the BASC will almost bend over backwards for you :oops:

I know a number of occasions when BASC insurance has, literally, paid off.

The most recent case was on a game shoot just after Christmas last year. I was present, but some distance away, when another gun shot a beaters dog. The dog took a full charge of shot into a hind foot at a range of two or three feet. This led to the dog losing the whole hind leg as gangrene set in. Although the dog has now fully recovered its future working ability has been much diminished.

The only positive from this incident was that the gun in question was a BASC member. The beater claimed against his insurance and just six weeks later received a four figure cheque to cover the vets bills, followed shortly afterwards by another even larger cheque as compensation for the loss of a fully trained working gundog.

Got to be BASC insurance, not only for the peace of mind but also for the other benefits from membership of the country's largest shooting organisation.

A word of warning about the CPSA though - with this recent attempt to distance themselves with real shooting its very likely they will soon drop the fieldsports cover from their insurance offering as well.

this is slight speculation and they wouldn't be able to reduce your cover once you've taken out the membership till renewal.

To my mind BASC market themselves on advice to shooters and as representatives of the sport if you want to help them then pay your money but there are far cheaper alternatives if you just want insurance :good:

I am Countryside Alliance Ireland (CAI)

Given your locality dazza, I'd give it a look. We paid £20 each pa (syndicate rate - there are 8 of us). Same (or better) insurance as BASC. Three regional officers in Ireland - two down south, one up north. Ronan Gorman in charge (remember him from BASC days?)

My mate was waiting 8 months for his .22 rimfire. He met Ronan on Wed night meeting. He said he would speak to firearms licensing thurs. Had permit on doormat on Sat morning. And that was before we joined.

http://www.countrysideallianceireland.org/

Have been BASC, and SACS (for one year). Am now sold on CAI.

I'm not on commission!!

Insurance for shooting is exactly the same hassle as you have with House and Car Insurance.You pay your money, make your choice and hope to God nothing goes wrong.

All the shooting organisations will provide you with a public liability / third party insurance included in the price of their membership, but beware! ! ! This cover is the very bare minimum indemnity, but it is better than nothing when you are in court.

If you need Insurance to allow you to shoot for gain, i.e. Pest Control, Tuition etc., you will need Employers liability, Third party and Public liability.This as an individual is likely to cost in the region of £400 - 600.

To my mind BASC offer the best protection due to their staff expertise although it must be said that the NGO etc., probably use the same Brokerage.CPSA is really only interested in Skeet shooters and you can shoot registered events as a none CPSA member for £2-50 per event.CPSA is dead but refuses to lie down.If any of you are shooting instructors and require Insurance join The Guild of Shooting Instructors where you get Insured.

The test of a good Insurance Company, is what happens when you get a claim.

There have been some frightening "urban legends" going about regarding claims on the BASC Insurance.

How true they are I don't know, therefore I won't repeat them here.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has had a successful claim on the BASC Insurance.

Also you should consider what you want the Insurance to cover, because be sure you are paying for that cover, even though the Insurer tries to tell you that its a free addition.

An example is the BASC Insurance includes Employers Liability (I don't employ anyone) and Product Liability (I don't make anything).

They won't take those items off and there is no discount if you don't want cover for them.

Very strange.

• 1 month later...
Guest rabo
I am Countryside Alliance Ireland (CAI)

Ronan Gorman in charge (remember him from BASC days?)

My mate was waiting 8 months for his .22 rimfire. He met Ronan on Wed night meeting. He said he would speak to firearms licensing thurs. Had permit on doormat on Sat morning. And that was before we joined.

HI BIG AL ANY CHANCE YOU COULD TALK TO YOUR MATE RONAN GORMAN FOR ME,PROMISE ILL JOIN CAI. ??? I HAVE A BAD FEELING THIS IS GOING TO DRAG ON A BIT,IM WAITING FROM DEC.06,ALL CHECKS ARE DONE WEEKS AGO.