15/3/15 crows from this morning ,beretta v Kicks full chokes

Guest stevo

Guest stevo

Evening all .

Thought I would post a short clip of this morning trip out, to be honest I’ve not done a great deal of pigeon shooting over the past few months and the birds around here have been so locked up its not been worth it, so from about December time I spent most of my time mainly getting on top of the bunny’s/foxes while the crops are low, unless of course the birds are hitting the OSR etc.,
Anyway I was all set last night for a big bunny session , so I set off about 10 pm , off down the road I get a call from a land owner /mate of mine , “ stevo ……….. I have drilled a field with wheat today can you have a look at it when you get five mins “ yeah no problem I said, have you rolled it yet? No he said as it was a bit wet. so I will do it in a couple of days , So I’m thinking to myself that’s gonna have the potential for a real good day if I can beat him to it ha-ha , and so off I go on my bunny mission , had a good night , got home about 4,20 am . I ended up with 23 rabbits, I thought to myself sod it I’m not tied yet I’ll got in the garage and start prepping them. I sort of got carried away and done the lot! So by now its 7.00 am and I’ve just got out the shower, sitting on the sofa with a cuppa , when I the phone rings , It’s my land owner again , “ stevo , I’ve just been down a rolled those drillings ( **** it , beat me too it I thought ha-ha ) and there’s crows all over it , can you get down here ? I told him I’ve been up all night and I was shagged out, but he twisted my arm ;-)
So im packed up within 15 mins and back in the van ……….. Turned up and set up for around 8 am. It was bloody freezing, blowing a gale and I was hanging out my backside, I could only really find one spot to set my hide, so I opted for the end of some Hawthorne with 8 decoys set out closest at 25 yards and furthest at 40 yards, I missed a few simple shots over the morning through lack of concentration from no sleep, and freezing cold (it’s amazing how much you slow down when cold)
Still im far from moaning as tied and cold as I was, I loved every moment I was there, I packed up at 11.45 am with 68 mixed bag consisting of ….

60 crows/rooks/jackdaws

6 ferals

2 wood pigeon

Also while I was there I done a very very basic side by side comparison of two aftermarket Full chokes
Beretta HP Optima extended full choke
And a
Kicks “ smoke “ extended Full choke ( ported )
The first half was with the berretta choke and the rest with the kicks , seeing as they are both full I thought the Kicks had it buy a mile when it came to the distance shots , I have patterned them both and found that the berretta tends to throw pattern slightly better than the standard flush full choke that comes with the gun , however the the Kicks is unreal , at 30 yrds the pattern is the size of a basket ball ha-ha , also with very little shot string .

Enjoy

stevo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njy7H-KpwII&feature=youtu.be

Edited by stevo

Guest stevo

Some good shooting there Stevo.

I often shoot poorly if I go straight after a night shift , I think the concentration starts to wander .

tell me about it , I even found myself on a couple of occasions just staring at the bird , that's when I decided to call time .

I forgot to mention ,, shells used were 28 gram 6.5 shot

Guest stevo

thank you lads .

fen boy , I think its a case of when you first start your all rev'd up and ready to go . but once you get the 20 min gaps where your giving the OSR the 1000 yrd stare , it just hits you haha

Guest stevo

You chivvied them up again there Stevo! Looked very exposed there- I hope the Farmers appreciate you.Good quality vid & shooting as usual.

Cheers mate. Yeah to be honest I get spoilt rotten buy all the land owners I shoot for. I put a lot of time in to all my shoots. That morning the farmer came and found me mid morning to say thank you. a gave me a slab of black gold.

On another estate I'm now the Keeper too. But like I say I work my a55 off to get where I am.

Edited by stevo

Guest stevo

Thank you for all the kind words it's appreciated.

Steve g. Yes mate 4.05 in is one one my best bits. If theres one thing better than shooting a carrion... It's shooting a pair.

Ken

Cheers mate. Yeah to be honest I get spoilt rotten buy all the land owners I shoot for. I put a lot of time in to all my shoots. That morning the farmer came and found me mid morning to say thank you. a gave me a slab of black gold.

On another estate I'm now the Keeper too. But like I say I work my a55 off to get where I am