Teenagers

digger

The wife and her three sisters are away in the carib, which they do twice a year on cruises. That leaves me with my two ( 10 and 6 ) plus my 15 yr old niece. The gulf between the kids couldnt be more obvious, mine speak English, my niece speaks some odd babble that always ends in " innit ". She lives for msn and her mum thinks its ok for her to smoke and at weekends drink, not just an occasional glass but by the bottle :good:

Despite the age gap between her and my eldest I hope mine is of a different generation, one that says please and thankyou. A generation that doesnt visit web sites where our ethnic chums give themselves stupid names for a group of hoodies who glorify or revel in violence, that sees the way isn`t through dropping out of school but getting qualifications and forging ahead in the world.

Of course it goes without saying my kids are perfect but the last few days have been a real eye opener

I used to think I was reasonably in touch with "kids these days", then I realised I was referring to them using phrases like "kids these days" in quotes :good::lol:

They speak a completely different language. Not slang as such, just gibberish. Is it just me or does everyone seem to want to talk like they are black and from hackney regardless of sex, age or race?

Its all "yeah man lahk ah sad to im yeah, well sorted eh brahv, innit"

The future of our country :good:

sound like you'll be baby sitting next year then...hehehe :good:

for 1 more....!!!!!!!

seriously..

they learn the hard way, when they reach 30 ish & there life has been poo poo..with no strong reliable mates & no good man at there side...

bless... :good:

she'll go back to college & do her exams again..& hope fully meet a guy who'll take her on (depending)...phew !!!

I don't understand where the americanurbanisation of our language has come from.

If all people born in this Country are as English as me, then why have some adopted a language somewhere in between the East End, South Side LA and Lahore?

I just don't get it - do you get me, innit.

Tell you what though, try and get a decent job speaking like a twit and with your trousers half way down to your knees. Oh yeah, the dole queue is well wicked innit.

try having a sister in law like that, who to top it off goes to private school and thinks she is ghetto and her family are poor because "daddy doesn't drive a ferrari"

Not all kids are like this it just seems to be those who dont know what the word discipline is. I am only 3 yrs older than her but my old man was ex army and as such I knew what discpline was!

I don't understand where the americanurbanisation of our language has come from.

Two words. Rap Music.

It is the crotch grabbing, finger flicking, teeth sucking American scum that have polluted the youth of today.

But there again didn't our grandparents go through a similar problem when Elvis, Bill Haley and the like first came to our shores?

All that greasy hair, motorbikes and switchblades causing old ladies to faint.

I always think a kids respect should be half earned, and half forced. What's this ok to smoke and drink a bottle of whatever at 15 thing? PARENTS buddy, that's never right! You can normally tell a kid by it's parents, before even meeting it! My dad was always a good parent, but him and my mum devorced when I was 5. If I wanted to have a drink, then the drinks cabinet was openly available to me as long as I didn't go over the top. If I got caught smoking or doing wrong, I'd have got a real good slap for it! My mum (who I lived with 5 days a week) wasn't the same mind. She was more interested in me not being there when her bloke arrived at 5 in the morning on his way to work (my mates dad you know, still married. I'm 26 now, and they're still doing it!). So when I hit 15 my dad was respected, because he respected me. What he says, goes. My mum was happy for me to borrow one of her credit cards (to be paid back by unsuspecting me!) so I could buy loads of kit to make all sorts of dodgy stuff that went bang! Got me in all sorts of trouble, ARV and 20 coppers kicking the door inat 6 in the morning! I wish my dad had seen what was going on sooner, things could have been very different for me if I'd lived mainly with him earlier on in life. Luckily, I pulled myself out of the thieving, nasty little **** that I was, and sorted myself out. I'm glad that eventually I was mature enough to see what I was doing to people and change, and I put that down to my dad doing his best for me for the 2 days a week I got to spend with him. I'm really grateful for that :good:

Edited by Axe

I can't understand why white kids wanting to sound like black kids has become so cool? :good:

I am with you on the politeness thing Digga, our son doesn't get anything unless he asks with a please and ther is a thankyou after receiving it. All you can go on is feedback from school and other parents, and he is most welcome at all his friends houses based on his good behaviour - so all that hard work may be paying off after all

Good for you njc110381.

I lived with my grandparents for a while and it was my grandad who showed me respect and in return I respected him. He let me learn by mistakes but was always there for me.

He died 6 years ago but I am determined that I am going to be to my kids what he was to me. Hard act to follow though.

My 14 yr old daughter is an absolute nightmare at home and it takes all my self control not to knock her into next week :good:

However, as Stuart has said, she's brilliant at school and whenever we go anywhere, always does us proud.

MSN is bad news as well. A friend at work has banned his kids from using it and says their behaviour has improved no end. :lol:

I try not to be the Victorian Dad, but it seems other parents aren't nearly as strict as me and this is whats causing the tantrums at home.

Everybody says she'll grow out of it, I bloody hope it's soon :good:

P.

My mum always told me that the hardest thing about being a parent was saying "no". Giving in and saying yes was easy and is the path of least resistance.

With 3 of my own, I now know what she means. "Yes" brings immediate peace and quiet, "no" means confrontation and fallout.

However, you can always spot the kids in the playground that come from the run free, relaxed and "yes" households - they are the gobby badly behaved little ****s that no one wants round their house for playtime.

Pedro, she's 14 buddy. Teenage tantrums are a regular thing due to hormones and other stuff kids have to deal with. If she's doing well at school and can control her kickoff times, she's a good kid. Everyone has to let off steam sometimes, and at home is a good place to do it (for the rest of us anyway). :good:

lol njc, I was always good at school but sometimes kicked off at home. I must admit though when I started Kickboxing and Karate at 13 I was a much more discplined lad than others. I think part of the reason being that it was a discplined sport (did help that we have punchbags to vent anger on :good:) and also because of my size I started straight with the adult classes who treated me like an adult. That included respect but also included beatings and training, I was never given concessions and although at the time I sometimes went home and had a good rant, now I see it did me lots of good. As such, if I have kids I want them to do kickboxing/taekwondo etc.

Discpline is the way forward for all kids, it just seems these days most parents can't be bothered with it :good:

I reacted against my dad in the sixties but still knew where i wanted to go in life, many today seam to want to hit the selfdestruct button. I have a daughter from the first marriage shes now 30 but at 15 we got on great but it broke down and she went out of control - now picked up again but the damage was done for her, not me as it affected her life.

I have a son now 15, do loads with him but he is changing so I use our good relationship to advice, it seams to work, hes in the air cadets so this forms his mates structure as well - working on the theory if they have '***** mates' then they come out the same in time. He can have a drink at weekends if he wants - so when he went to his first 'teen party' he knew the tricks - had fun but wasn't sick like the rest who had no experience/real advise - just parents saying no-no -no to drink - so they gave it a go!!

The wife and her three sisters are away in the carib, which they do twice a year on cruises. That leaves me with my two ( 10 and 6 ) plus my 15 yr old niece. The gulf between the kids couldnt be more obvious, mine speak English, my niece speaks some odd babble that always ends in " innit ". She lives for msn and her mum thinks its ok for her to smoke and at weekends drink, not just an occasional glass but by the bottle :good:

Despite the age gap between her and my eldest I hope mine is of a different generation, one that says please and thankyou. A generation that doesnt visit web sites where our ethnic chums give themselves stupid names for a group of hoodies who glorify or revel in violence, that sees the way isn`t through dropping out of school but getting qualifications and forging ahead in the world.

Of course it goes without saying my kids are perfect but the last few days have been a real eye opener

Trouble is, that in this day and age, some 'teens seem to think that an ASBO is a qualification.

Looking back through rose tinted specs the time i spent with my granparents was an excellent time.

I remember my grandad showing me how to sharpen my penknife. Upto that time he had always looked after it for me, but after showing me how to look after it and what it was capable of doing he gave it to me. You cannot describe how that felt being trusted with that and I did my upmost to make sure I never messed around with it. I was 10 at the time.

I tried the hands on approach with the boy, (12), and went and did some "Ray Mears" stuff with my brother who's a bit of an expert and does a bit of tuition in it on the side.

We had a great time making fires, cooking etc, but unfortunately I think he'd rather be in front of the mirror spiking his hair up :lol:

The other day I said I'd show him how to mend the puncture on his bike. The cheeky sod turned round and siad he wouldn't bother because when he gets older he'll pay someone to do it for him.

Although it was said half in jest, I suspect there was an element of truth in it and I think this is where society's going wrong now. Nobody can be ***** to do anything for themselves. The amount of blokes at work who can't do even basic DIY is beyond belief. Personally I've never had the money so have had to do it on my own anyway :/

P.

Nobody can be ***** to do anything for themselves. The amount of blokes at work who can't do even basic DIY is beyond belief.

Is that do with this being the "computer age" perhaps?

Everybody is gearing themselves for life behind the screen and not actually doing things :lol:

So much is "doable" online that it lets your real life skills lapse.

im still a teenager, and i know ive been a little ****e to my dad more then his fair share of times, but i still look up to him(or down as the case may be, think he shrinking in his old age), if it wasnt for him i dont think i would have seriously got into shooting, and it was him who bought me my first fishing rod that got me so interested in fishing. for this i have a lot to thank him for.

and i know u all may hate msn, but for me and most of my mates, its just a free way of contacting them all, most from old schools.

I agree with Tom. :P:P

I'm 14 but can quite happily say Im not a little ****. Honestly. :no: Hardly ever in trouble at school. (unless trying to let a teacher allow you to neck a mixy rabbit :/ ) I don't run amock at home but I'm regularly on MSN and the evil influence on young children which incites them to kill innocent animals which is Pigeon Watch. :) I certainly don't smoke. Can't really see what the boys and girls which sit in the corner of the playground puffing away are really achieving? To be honest if I was a 'troubled youth' I can't really seeing my parents allowing me access to guns etc. :lol:

FM :lol:

I've never got the smoking thing. I've never liked the idea, and luckily (kind of) I've always been very strong willed and done what I want rather than what others say. Kids do it to look good, with their cool mates. I wasn't cool at school but I only got picked on by one lad, and he only did it once :lol: