fac air rifle...or not?

markg

I have put in for.22 FAC airrifle.(Already have 22lr).

Wanted something for shooting pigeon,squirrel up trees and rabbits,where 22lr is not safe to use.

3 gunshops have adviced not to waste my money,said get 177 @12ft/lb instead.

Really put me off spending out.

Is there more interest in 22fac air, with all the new pcps?

Edited by markg

I was in the same boat as you. Took the plunge and bought a 40ftlb daystate.have to say , so far it's bloody brilliant. Cost me more to start with but I'm sure over time I can recoupe the money. It's as good as my .22 out to sensible ranges with the added bonus of shooting into trees as long as you know what's behind your shot for a few 100 yards.

I have put in for.22 FAC airrifle.(Already have 22lr).

Wanted something for shooting pigeon,squirrel up trees and rabbits,where 22lr is not safe to use.

3 gunshops have adviced not to waste my money,said get 177 @12ft/lb instead.

Really put me off spending out.

Is there more interest in 22fac air, with all the new pcps?

Not many struggle with 12ft lb for your task.

How tall are these trees?

I have 12 and FAC air (both .22), and a lot of others up to .308, the FAC Air has its uses but of all my rifles it probably comes out least these days.

:good:

22 shorts are fine in trees .same ft lbs as fac air.177 can over penatrate without stopping a fac 22 air has the trajectory of a 177 with stopping power.the difference is big in hit rate and clean kills (in the right hands) go for it but buy second hand or take a big loss.

Same, I had FAC air and I didn't really see a huge difference from fac 22 and sub 12 .177.

At that time I had a closed fac, it made more sense to use sub 12.

Though, I know people who swear by them, all to their own.

Edited by kyska

Depends on a lot of factors. Use, land safety, quarry, etc, etc. I wouldn't be without mine. I have sub 12's, but a wander with the FAC Air is a whole different game. AT 56, I have not intention of belly crawling through long grass and cow pats, to get to within 35-40 yards of quarry on a breathless day. With the FAC Air, 70 yards is a perfectly useable range, and more on a still day, with practise, so quarry are often un aware of their impending doom.!! That puts wary corvids on the menu, nervous rabbits and a whole host of other quarry you may encounter on a nice walk round.

I agree 22lr has many advantages, and I do use one. But horses for courses. Some of the best shooting I've had has been with FAC Air over decoys. I wouldn't use a 22lr for that.

I have a few places where I just can't use a 22lr, the rabbits are at extreme sub 12 ranges which could lead to wounding, another where the Jackdaws cause a huge problem close to a stately home, and another where the Jackdaws and crows fly into a barn to steal the pig food. In the latter two cases, the closest I can get before they become aware, is 60 or so yards. I can be very effective with the Fac Air at that range.

There is a lot of anti feeling towards Fac Air. The rifles and equipment to fill, are expensive by comparison to a cheepo, knocked about 22lr. I'm sure a lot of people rubbish Fac Air, because unfortunately, they can't afford it, when others can. For me, it definitely earns its keep and is the most used of all that's in the cabinet.

However, if all my shooting was over moorland, with rabbits at circa 100 yards, I would be exclusively using a rimfire.

Edited by turbo33

Depends on a lot of factors. Use, land safety, quarry, etc, etc. I wouldn't be without mine. I have sub 12's, but a wander with the FAC Air is a whole different game. AT 56, I have not intention of belly crawling through long grass and cow pats, to get to within 35-40 yards of quarry on a breathless day. With the FAC Air, 70 yards is a perfectly useable range, and more on a still day, with practise, so quarry are often un aware of their impending doom.!! That puts wary corvids on the menu, nervous rabbits and a whole host of other quarry you may encounter on a nice walk round.

I agree 22lr has many advantages, and I do use one. But horses for courses. Some of the best shooting I've had has been with FAC Air over decoys. I wouldn't use a 22lr for that.

I have a few places where I just can't use a 22lr, the rabbits are at extreme sub 12 ranges which could lead to wounding, another where the Jackdaws cause a huge problem close to a stately home, and another where the Jackdaws and crows fly into a barn to steal the pig food. In the latter two cases, the closest I can get before they become aware, is 60 or so yards. I can be very effective with the Fac Air at that range.

There is a lot of anti feeling towards Fac Air. The rifles and equipment to fill, are expensive by comparison to a cheepo, knocked about 22lr. I'm sure a lot of people rubbish Fac Air, because unfortunately, they can't afford it, when others can. For me, it definitely earns its keep and is the most used of all that's in the cabinet.

However, if all my shooting was over moorland, with rabbits at circa 100 yards, I would be exclusively using a rimfire.

Pretty well my thoughts also turbo the both have there place :)

Well said turbo!

FAC Air put my 22lr out of business and my .17HMR.

CB's are fine in 22lr IF:

*Your rifle will group them.

*Your happy to keep adjusting your scope to rezero when switching between subs and CB's.

Yes to 50yards on a still day .177 sub 12 is good with head shots. But will never have the put down authority that a .22 FAC Air has.

If you have charging gear then go FAC Air and buy second hand so you don't take a hit on price.

My advice with FAC Air is:

* .22 cal.

* 16gr or 18gr pellets @ 900-930fps

* Dont go changing power levels and having to rezero all the time.

This will give you an excellent pest control tool that is more effective thanks a sub12ftlb rifle putting quarry down hard and opens up heart and lung shots on corvids and squirrels.

I have sub 12ftlb and FAC Air. FAC air is my most used and first out unless am shooting in barns or off out for HFT !

ATB

Matt

marcg,,

fac air is a superb tool bud, so is a sub12ftlb .177 people slate fac air but in the right hands can be a deadly piece of equipment out to 70/90yrds in the right conditions, I used a huntsman classic 30ftlb and was grouping 1 inch groups at 75 yrds so with the right pellet they are an excellent piece of kit,

they are the perfect tool for pigeons and squirrels in trees and in .22 certainly have some clout,

can you imagine shooting a pigeon in a tree with the rimfire using subs,,,,, I don't care how much land was behind the pigeon I just wouldn,t do it,,,

you will also find once you have the kit mate they are far cheaper to run than a rimfire, don't forget to put a mod down aswell

I used to love to love my FAC air, good squirrel gun for me. Pigeons in trees was good too.

I had a falcon FN19 with skeleton stock in .22 which was a touch over 33ft lbs If I remember correctly.

Go for a second hand one and you won't lose much money on going. I did that.

have to agree, second hand is the way too go and there are a few good bargains out there,, I saw a daystate huntsman mk 2 at the game fair running 18ftlb and that was £250, I didn,t buy it as I ended up looking for an air ranger and didn,t get that either and ended up coming home with a brand new huntsman classic ,

I would love a fac rapid but problem is most have been butchered to death , shame really because they are a superb rifle,

if I was going fac then it would be .22 and either a huntsman 30ftlb or an airwolf 40ftlb but top of my list would be a wolverine b running 30ftlb

I've got a stealth running at 40ft lb, I had looked forward to getting fac air for years, I've barely used it to be honest , the whole charging hassle just makes it less likely to be taken out, in hindsight I wished I had gone with my heart and got an eliminator or patriot ( the guns of childhood dreams for me!).

Edited by pegasus bridge

I've got a stealth running at 40ft lb, I had looked forward to getting fac air for years, I've barely used it to be honest , the whole charging hassle just makes it less likely to be taken out, in hindsight I wished I had gone with my heart and got an eliminator or patriot ( the guns of childhood dreams for me!).

I can never understand how charging an air rifle can be as quoted " hassle "

charge the rifle up before you go which will take all of 10 seconds with a bottle yes 10 seconds max and all you do is turn a knob, what on earth is a " hassle " about that, life could not be easier and depending on what rifle you have you should be getting a minimum of 35 shots ( yes minimum ) ok so lets go for a walkies around the perm ,,,,, how many rabbits have I shot ??? 13, well jesus how am I going to carry them back to the vehicle,,and that's just 13, what would it be like if you shot the 35 that your gun is capable of shooting,,

Pegasus,, " hassle " to fill an airgun ???

you must be using a bike pump, I have never found anything easier , if you think its hassle to fill an air rifle up with a charging bottle I,m sorry mate but you really need to go the gym,

to learn how to turn a knob :lol::lol: :lol:

charge the rifle up before you go which will take all of 10 seconds with a bottle yes 10 seconds max and all you do is turn a knob, what on earth is a " hassle " about that, life could not be easier and depending on what rifle you have you should be getting a minimum of 35 shots ( yes minimum ) ok so lets go for a walkies around the perm ,,,,, how many rabbits have I shot ??? 13, well jesus how am I going to carry them back to the vehicle,,and that's just 13, what would it be like if you shot the 35 that your gun is capable of shooting,,

you must be using a bike pump, I have never found anything easier , if you think its hassle to fill an air rifle up with a charging bottle I,m sorry mate but you really need to go the gym,

It's hassle in the sense of getting the main bottle filled, having to think how full it is, yes I know these are not really that big a deal, but I like the simplicity of just grabbing the gun and knowing it's going to work! I will at some point be swapping the pcp for an eliminator!! Edited by pegasus bridge

I still have a free slot for FAC air, but I also have .17HMR and .223, as well as a shotgun and a couple of sub-12ft/Ib air rifles. I applied for shooting around farm buildings, and around horses. Then the landowner with horses left, and the new owner (who was happy for me to continue shooting), ripped out all of the hedgerows, so now it's perfect territory for the rifles. Plus for around farm buildings, I find sub-12ft/Ib air rifles to be more than sufficient. So I'll either let it expire, or 1 for 1 it to a .22LR.

I have no doubt that FAC air is brilliant, depending on the conditions. If I remember correctly, my friend used to use 40ft/Ib Air Ranger, which was put up to 80ft/Ib, and then down to 60ft/Ib as it lost accuracy, and that would easily deal with rabbits up to 100 yards, in right conditions with a good shot. Deadly silent too.

The only downside is that he tells me he has trouble finding a very heavy pellet, and he's always filling-up his bottle.

13, well jesus how am I going to carry them back to the vehicle,,and that's just 13,

77 last night Evo 4 trips back to the 4x4 ,bloody pain as my rabbit carrier is on hols,to top it all off got the 4x4 bogged down and farmer had to come out & pull me out.I used to have a BSA super 10 running at 28lbs, grouping 5mm at 40 metres but it was a bloody heavy thing and the most uncomfortable slung over my back.Was the main reason for getting rid of it, still got the slot for another but the areas I shoot are more suitable for the rimmy & as you say sub 12lb is more than capable for squirrels.

Edited by Davyo

i don't have a fac air not because i don't like them or think they no good but because my shooting don't call for one but if i thought one would benefit me i would get one,

every calibre has it's uses that's why there are so many made and used if they didn't work they would soon stop producing them,

my advise would be if you are near one of the members on here who have what you are looking for then invite them along to your permission and see if you can have a play with their's it won't take long to know if it's what you want/need

colin

13, well jesus how am I going to carry them back to the vehicle,,and that's just 13,

77 last night Evo 4 trips back to the 4x4 ,bloody pain as my rabbit carrier is on hols,to top it all off got the 4x4 bogged down and farmer had to come out & pull me out.I used to have a BSA super 10 running at 28lbs, grouping 5mm at 40 metres but it was a bloody heavy thing and the most uncomfortable slung over my back.Was the main reason for getting rid of it, still got the slot for another but the areas I shoot are more suitable for the rimmy & as you say sub 12lb is more than capable for squirrels.

13 was just an example davyo,,not shot that many in the last 100 years :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: