Will a diversion from prosecution appear on police records 20 years la

Tattooed

Hi,

20 years ago I was a naughty boy. The procurators fiscal gave me a second chance and instead of going to court I had to go to the social work. Once it was finshed I was not prosecuted and the charges were dropped and you are left without a criminal record.

I was 17 when I was charged by the police and got the diversion at 18 years old.

Will that come up on a police background check?

I think my lawyer said it would come of my record after 2 years.

You will most certainly be checked through the CRO . If not a conviction (but I doubt it ) then it will not show up . Sounds like a caution to me which is indeed a conviction .it won't necessarily bar you from a licence . All convictions are kept by the CRO for 50 years .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

I wouldn't worry about it but I would declare it. But if you haven't declared it and have sent in application I wouldn't worry about it either.

If you've already sent your application in you could always give licensing a ring and explain the situation.

Times have obviously changed since my first application, but when I first applied I went to the local cop shop and asked them for an account of my convictions from a mis-spent youth and was cockahoop to find there was no record! :)

Like I said, I wouldn't worry.

Hi,

I remember being told at the time it was not a conviction. After the diversion as finshed, the chrages are dismissed. I'm sure my lawyer told me that it would come off my record after 2 years.

I have had my vist from the FLO at he never said anything about it.

here is an example of a diversion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8140198.stm

I wouldn't worry about it but I would declare it. But if you haven't declared it and have sent in application I wouldn't worry about it either.

If you've already sent your application in you could always give licensing a ring and explain the situation.

Times have obviously changed since my first application, but when I first applied I went to the local cop shop and asked them for an account of my convictions from a mis-spent youth and was cockahoop to find there was no record! :)

Like I said, I wouldn't worry.

I wouldnae worry about it now, times have changed abit with this police scotland lark, my old force were/are brilliant in the past with firearms stuff and tended to hand tickets out quite easily.

Since its changed i've heard of a few folk being pulled up about silly wee things 20 odd years ago, but they've had licences all those 20 years and never mentioned it once it was offically of the record. Think the FEO boy now advises to put down nothing since last renewal so onus is on the polis and cannae try to say ur hiding anything.

My mate just had his renewed and that's wot he put, he had a couple of 'breaches' many years ago but had no idea when really, he had guns even at the time he got done and never caused any bother but times have changed since then

Allegedly, the police records are absolutely complete, and go back pretty much forever. We are certainly told that every single thing must be declared.

But my 2 speeding convictions from the 1990s (which I declared on my application), the FEO explained that they had no record of them, and was I sure I'd actually gotten points and not just a warning for them !

Considering both were in the same force area as I live, quite surprising ...

I got charged with naughty boyness nearly 30 years ago just got my sgc after not having one for about 20 years forgot all about my conviction the police however did not it wasn't a problem but I got the impression they would rather you were honest about these things

Providing its not for extreme violence or weapons related I don't think they worry too much

I know someone who has an old conviction for assault he holds a sgc

I can never understand how someone convicted for assault or gbh can get a shotgun licence.

A chap I worked with was found guilty of GBH in the 80's, and has guns. BUT THEY WERE TRYING TO GBH HIM AT THE TIME. Yes he run them down to save himself, but he still caused GBH, which went through the courts. He didn't get much punishment. It depends on the circumstances at the time.

The charges should say dismissed/dropped.

As he was a child, that will be taken into account. It won't affect him unless he has a few offences etc.

I got charged with naughty boyness nearly 30 years ago just got my sgc after not having one for about 20 years forgot all about my conviction the police however did not it wasn't a problem but I got the impression they would rather you were honest about these things

Providing its not for extreme violence or weapons related I don't think they worry too much

I know someone who has an old conviction for assault he holds a sgc

@Jonny- that was not aimed at you. Everyone makes mistakes. Myself included.

Slightly off topic but never accept a police caution on the assumption that it is just a telling off with no future consequences. By accepting it you are admitting guilt and it does go on your record in the same way as a conviction. The consequences can be far more serious than you might imagine.

Don't know about 20 years ago, but the only misdemeanor in life I've been caught for resulted in me being prosecuted for poaching over 50 years ago and fined seven shillings and six pence.

I've never declared it and it's never been mentioned.

is that poacher & gamekeeper turned?!