Boris's cycle superhighway

fatchap

But carry on regardless for all I care, 44 tons WILL sting. :good:

nice attitude.nasty cyclists it all their fault, still if you can only get away with 3.1/2 years for being ****** running a red light not being insured or having licence and killing a cyclist why worry eh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32740736

Edited by kdubya

This apparently is why Boris is championing safer cycling in London, perhaps if the brain dead lorry driver had slowed down for the speed hump, Boris may not now be annoying just a tad, those with a cholesterol level on a par with a set jelly.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-johnson-narrowly-escapes-injury-395561

Darwins theory springs to mind when fools ignore common sense and ride up the sides of left indicating vehicles.

Darwin theory relates to your own stupidity killing you not the stupidity or downright criminality of a driver that kills you? I was skimmed last year on the A689 dueled section by a driver who thought it was fun to go past me whilst he was doing about 80mph problem was he literally brushed my arm with his wing mirror, bet he thought that was a good game , had I been able to catch him, he would believe me still be in a coma.

look at this 40 deaths in two years, yes 40, 68% of which were caused by the DRIVER yet only 4 cases were deemed worthy of a jail term,( and that was only because they had no insurance) seems if you want to do the wife in get her out on a bike and then just plow on over her, it would simply be considered a nasty sting here.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3964373.ece

KW

Edited by kdubya

Far too many vehicles in London these days...

Boris is many things but he's certainly not an idiot.

Personally I think a cycle super highway is a great idea

Unless we do something radical about the volume of traffic entering our major cities before long they will be like china gridlocked for hours and hours at a time.

Agreed we need to do something about the numbers of vehicles on our roads, especially in town, and agreed it's safer for everyone when slow moving bikes and fast moving cars, or fast moving bikes and slow moving cars,are kept separate. But why take 1 of 4 lanes out of one of london's most important roads? Could not the planning brains find somewhere else to keep cyclists safe, than taking a lane which, at peak times, holds literally tens of thousands of cars an hour, banning most of the turns for several miles, and making the best East/West route into a gridlocked pollution and coronary factory.

Agreed we need to do something about the numbers of vehicles on our roads, especially in town, and agreed it's safer for everyone when slow moving bikes and fast moving cars, or fast moving bikes and slow moving cars,are kept separate. But why take 1 of 4 lanes out of one of london's most important roads? Could not the planning brains find somewhere else to keep cyclists safe, than taking a lane which, at peak times, holds literally tens of thousands of cars an hour, banning most of the turns for several miles, and making the best East/West route into a gridlocked pollution and coronary factory.

Why ??? it's quite simple. Because some folk want to exercise their right to mix 15kg of alloy tubes with 44 tons of steel and rubber, but they want everyone else to keep them safe while they ride like idiots.

It'll be folk demanding the right to go to work on horses next , but don't you dare frighten them with your big nasty truck :rolleyes:

plenty in fact MANY have been killed when a lorry has set off and just simply ran over a cyclist IN FRONT of them, or turned left when overtaking a cyclist, and putting the back wheels over them, still only cyclists eh!

KW

Sorry but this is TOTALLY unrelated to my comment.

I never mentioned about lorries driving over cyclists in front of them

I never mentioned about cyclists being overtaken

I never belittled a cyclists life

Still, only facts eh?

Edited by LondonLuke

This apparently is why Boris is championing safer cycling in London, perhaps if the brain dead lorry driver had slowed down for the speed hump, Boris may not now be annoying just a tad, those with a cholesterol level on a par with a set jelly.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-johnson-narrowly-escapes-injury-395561

What's the speed bump got to do with it? Truck doors don't come open over speed bumps, they're made to hold tons of stuff inside. Obviously for some reason the doors haven't been shut properly ......... or........ some smart **** thought it a bright idea to unlock the gear while the truck was stopped (yes, it does happen)

I would go so far as to say you've never been in a truck have you ? So you have no idea of the blind spots or just how far away the back end of a trailer seems from the cab ?

While on a cycling rant, why on earth are clubs allowed to stage races on dual carriageways? trying to leave at a junction with 50 cyclists blocking the slip.is not fun, neither is artics having to swerve into lane2 to avoid a lycra warrior having a wobble?!

When I did the FORS for work one of the examples they show you of a drivers blind spot, was you sit in the drivers seat of a parked artic, and then told to look in all the mirrors, I saw nothing, and told the man I see nothing in the mirrors. Now I'm not telling porkies when I was told to get out and walk round the near side of the lorry to see 20 two abreast cyclists lined up down the side of the lorry, Now that was scary. Imagine the carnage if you was the driver of that lorry and you turned left.

Side camera's are the way forward for lorries and some FORS sites in London will not let a lorry on site without them, Skanska at Battersea power station is an example.

The Boris Bikes are another gripe of mine, you can hire one for a few quid, and ride across london without having to prove any form of competence or have any PPE. plus they seem to be quite heavy as I have seen people on them struggle to get them moving at lights.

One other stupid sight I saw the other day at Vauxhall bridge lights was a woman on a bike delivering sandwiches she had a box trailor attached to the bike, no PPE and granted she did wait at the lights but when they turned green she could not even get the bike to move, there must have been some weight in that trailor. How stupid is that? How the hell can she avoid being hit if she cant even move off the lights, she had to get off it and run then jump on and start peddling.Very wrong indeed.

The answer to this lies in the control of traffic, but its a big problem to tackle.

One suggestion was for freight operators to come into London outside hours, like when the Olympics was held here. But will the Government compensate the companies for the mass overtime pay this will incur?

Another is a massive consolidation centre near Feltham, Where every single delivery lorry would have to go and unload then its load taken on to its destination out of hours. cant see that happening as 90% of the incidents with cyclists involved tipper lorries, And because of what they carry ie rubble etc this would just not be feasible.

London at the moment is one massive building site and the demand for large deliveries on large lorries will be here for quite some time, and how Boris thinks a cycle super highway will resolve this is beyond me.

Edited by fatchap

What's the speed bump got to do with it? Truck doors don't come open over speed bumps, they're made to hold tons of stuff inside. Obviously for some reason the doors haven't been shut properly ......... or........ some smart **** thought it a bright idea to unlock the gear while the truck was stopped (yes, it does happen)

I would go so far as to say you've never been in a truck have you ? So you have no idea of the blind spots or just how far away the back end of a trailer seems from the cab ?

What the hell do you think caused them to open? the fairy at the bottom of your garden? it seems you want to argue black is white in favour of drivers (not mentioned road tax yet) but like it or not drivers ARE killing cyclists via their actions and inconsideration and in some cases downright criminality

KW

KW - As a cyclist myself, a very large number of cyclists in London are idiots, with no road sense whatsoever.

Darwin theory relates to your own stupidity killing you not the stupidity or downright criminality of a driver that kills you? I was skimmed last year on the A689 dueled section by a driver who thought it was fun to go past me whilst he was doing about 80mph problem was he literally brushed my arm with his wing mirror, bet he thought that was a good game , had I been able to catch him, he would believe me still be in a coma.

look at this 40 deaths in two years, yes 40, 68% of which were caused by the DRIVER yet only 4 cases were deemed worthy of a jail term,( and that was only because they had no insurance) seems if you want to do the wife in get her out on a bike and then just plow on over her, it would simply be considered a nasty sting here.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3964373.ece

KW

I think that Boris is embracing the need to do something fundamentally different to combat traffic density in London and I don't imagine for a second that there is anything even remotely resembling a simple solution and I don't expect that every decision will be the correct one either.

I have a great deal of sympathy with KW's argument and there should be a lot more done to ensure cyclist safety and that does of course include education of cyclists themselves to not put themselves in the obvious path of danger.

I don't drive in London very often, but have spent far too many unproductive hours in the back of London cabs, my perception of aggressive and ill mannered driving and dangerous and ill mannered cycling from that perspective is about equal.

The upshot is the cyclist may upset people in cars, vans, busses and lorries through their poor observance of road use, but the car, van, bus and lorry drivers will seriously hurt or kill a cyclist when they misbehave.

As madly frustrating as it may be, the driver of the bigger vehicle has to take greater responsibility, but cannot be fully responsible.