very considered look at fox shooting ( fieldsports.)

some game keepers need the land clear if they are about to put £20,000+ of poults down if they don`t sort it they get the sack , i have been on beats where a few foxes break cover on a shoot, all hell breaks loose with owners of the shoot

Edited by .007

I'm glad this Thread was posted. I've watched previous videos of fox shooting and was uneasy at the cubs being shot. I enjoy the videos of foxes being stalked and shot but the footage of the Cubs being eliminated as they played, was unsettling and should have been left out.

some game keepers need the land clear if they are about to put £20,000+ of poults down if they don`t sort it they get the sack , i have been on beats where a few foxes break cover on a shoot, all hell breaks loose with owners of the shoot

Then the owners are idiots.

It'll be a clever man that shoots the last fox and if anyone actually believes they have "cleared" their land of foxes they are delusional

There are always foxes around, they do good in clearing up any wounded birds in season but are a pain with ground nesting birds such as pheasants as are badgers. The secret is to keep overall numbers in check, I know I have 2 maybe 3 foxes on my beat, really thats one to many to if the opportunity presents itself then over one goes. Problem is you shoot one and another one moves into the territory. Im many years of shooting foxes I have never shot more than 3 at a siting or in a night, I just don't see them. Fields around where I live I put a lamp over them most evenings, sometimes there is a fox present, but almost never is it in a position for a safe shot even if I had a rifle to hand.

I like the guy in the films attitude, it happens to most of us when we get older and are facing our own demise.

A

One of the reasons i love this forum, a fox is a different beast to each person, as someone who doesn't shoot foxes but is in no way against doing so ( i have had neither the opportunity nor the need to ) its been interesting to me to see peoples response to this, Cheers fellas.

Any keeper will know that he will never have his ground devoid of foxes, to do that he would also need to have the surrounding 2 or 3 miles in any direction almost totally clear as well. With block arable cropping then you can't even get at them with a rifle until July so keepers will mainly snare. Now a snare is an effective tool in the right hands but I for one as a beat keeper and co captain dare not use them, I would catch 20 badgers for each fox and a badger on a snare takes out 5 yards of hedge as well. These game conservancy break away snares may be an answer but they are very thin on the ground for some reason.

Most commercial shoots are releasing £50k plus of birds, good electric fencing around pens is a big help but some pens on commercial shoots are 15 acres plus and foxes can easily reside inside them !!, now that is a problem I am glad I don't have !!.

A

A

I saw this on FSB and do support Mike's approach.

I am constantly amazed by areas that have consistently high numbers of foxes shot and still they are all over the area.

I know for sure that some are being dumped there from towns where they are released after some treatment as they have a shaved spot on their leg and an injection mark. This isn't the whole answer as foxes are very successful and adaptable.

The real problem to wake up to and manage is the over population of badgers directly connected with the under population of hedgehogs.

Disagree with the chap in the video, there are always more foxes to replace the ones that get shot. Far to many wild birds such as curlews and lapwings are at a loss because of foxes and badgers.

Shoot the vixen first, then the cubs and then he could have had the dog fox as well. Which I was quite curious as to what it had brought back, looked like a chicken. Although the bloke said that particular familar is no threat to poultry.

Fox control is fox control and there aint no point shooting 3 and leaving 2. There will always b e foxes to replace them and if a day comes when there isn't well perhaps that is the time to ease up on them.

Edited by lee-kinsman

Disagree with the chap in the video, there are always more foxes to replace the ones that get shot. Far to many wild birds such as curlews and lapwings are at a loss because of foxes and badgers.

Shoot the vixen first, then the cubs and then he could have had the dog fox as well. Which I was quite curious as to what it had brought back, looked like a chicken. Although the bloke said that particular familar is no threat to poultry.

Fox control is fox control and there aint no point shooting 3 and leaving 2. There will always b e foxes to replace them and if a day comes when there isn't well perhaps that is the time to ease up on them.

. A lot of shooters kill foxes for sport not because they are killing chickens,lamps or has you say curlews, lapwings, most foxes live on small mice,voles,rabbits, and may never see a chicken through out its life,now I'm not against fox shooting but just to say to our mates I shot 5,6,7 last night seems like madness, I've got a date with a fox around my place who decided to help himself to one of my ducks and I want bat a eyelid at pulling that trigger he needs to go.

. A lot of shooters kill foxes for sport not because they are killing chickens,lamps or has you say curlews, lapwings, most foxes live on small mice,voles,rabbits, and may never see a chicken through out its life,now I'm not against fox shooting but just to say to our mates I shot 5,6,7 last night seems like madness, I've got a date with a fox around my place who decided to help himself to one of my ducks and I want bat a eyelid at pulling that trigger he needs to go.

nobody on here as said fox shooting is a sport, are you now saying it is ?? if a land owner asks you to clear them out, one does what he says or the sack will LOOM

nobody on here as said fox shooting is a sport, are you now saying it is ?? if a land owner asks you to clear them out, one does what he says or the sack will LOOM

. Lol,you honestly believe ALL shooters kill foxes because a farmer calls, I know a lot of people who shoot foxes just because they can no reason just go out hunting foxes for sport so yes I am saying some not all shooters go out just to kill for sport,and I bet if you would be totally honest you know someone who does kill for sport, I've only killed foxes if a farmer asks or as I said in my post I've got a poultry killer as in a loyal egg laying duck.

. Lol,you honestly believe ALL shooters kill foxes because a farmer calls, I know a lot of people who shoot foxes just because they can no reason just go out hunting foxes for sport so yes I am saying some not all shooters go out just to kill for sport,and I bet if you would be totally honest you know someone who does kill for sport, I've only killed foxes if a farmer asks or as I said in my post I've got a poultry killer as in a loyal egg laying duck.

if a landowner is about to put £20,000+ of poults down among a party of foxes with cubs on his land, it don`t bear thinking about! the losses will be 60-70% maybe more with birds spooked off the land, one mate lost 360 poults in a pen with a cub getting in

The only time I have shot foxes what's when my chickens where being taken.

It was a vixen with two cubs. But it was safely and easily done. With her first and then her two cubs (I have been present on many occasion, and in my experience cubs will hang around for long enough if the vixen drops).

There where several other foxes around my land/ house [i could tell you which ones would be where at what times. But they either where not coming out so early as to get my chickens before they went in or did not have cubs dependent so did not need to take chickens in an aria that they would have not felt comfortable in. (Due to dogs, humans ect.)... But it is also a risk for them as I have watched 4 cockerels see of a fox before!

if a landowner is about to put £20,000+ of poults down among a party of foxes with cubs on his land, it don`t bear thinking about! the losses will be 60-70% maybe more with birds spooked off the land, one mate lost 360 poults in a pen with a cub getting in

. Totally agree with you and I've had farmers streaming down the phone at me to get rib of a so called lamb killing but all I'm trying to say and it seems badly that some people go out after foxes night after night for no reason than to kill foxes and that's a sad fact that's why I posted first saying its nice to here someone only killing when it's needed and not for fun,

Why do you say this? If I go fox shooting, I kill as many as I can. They can be very challenging at times to get on terms with. I believe that - like pigeons - it won't matter how many you shoot, they will continue to multiply.

Why do you say this? If I go fox shooting, I kill as many as I can. They can be very challenging at times to get on terms with. I believe that - like pigeons - it won't matter how many you shoot, they will continue to multiply.

. Are you killing foxes because they are killing poultry,game birds,lambs or just for a nights shooting? If you shoot anything in big numbers it definitely want multiply Edited by cooooper1