BASC Introduction to Pigeon Shooting Course as Requested

bakerboy

19 members have voted

1. 1. have you booked?

• booked for North west
    • Waiting for North East

Its a great pity that the event has had to be cancelled.

Terry had agreed for me to attend as an observer with a view to me offering the course in the North West in the future.

Terry has put a lot of effort into the proposal; hopefully in the long term his effort will not all have been wasted.

Please let me know when you are running a course elsewhere and I will do my best to attend.

webber

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the BASC provide facilities and insurance and stuff. I really can't see someone being bothered to set it up just for six. We needed more numbers and we didn't get them. The unwillingness to get together and act together is a problem about the whole shooting community. If we don't learn to get behind people in lots of ways we will lose our sport because our opposition relies on our rather sad inability to organise. People put in a lot of work and other people weren't willing to pay a relatively small sum to join up, meet people and network as well as learn stuff.

Pretty poor show I think. (I have prepared myself for the inevitable abuse which is pretty well bount to happen)

David.

Why can't a few like minded individuals get together and go ahead with it. If there aren't enough numbers for a BASC course, why can't a few like minded individuals get together and run it anyhow? Unless you're employed by BASC full time of course.

Just for clarity, neither Flycoy or myself are employed by BASC.

Well, the BASC provide facilities and insurance and stuff. I really can't see someone being bothered to set it up just for six. We needed more numbers and we didn't get them. The unwillingness to get together and act together is a problem about the whole shooting community. If we don't learn to get behind people in lots of ways we will lose our sport because our opposition relies on our rather sad inability to organise. People put in a lot of work and other people weren't willing to pay a relatively small sum to join up, meet people and network as well as learn stuff.

Pretty poor show I think. (I have prepared myself for the inevitable abuse which is pretty well bount to happen)

David.

I'm not sure what sort of facilities you need apart from a field.

When my kids were a lot younger I took them to many BASC Young Shots days, one of which had a section on decoying which was set up by Steve Woodhall. It took him less than an hour to set up a hide, place some deeks ( to which crows started to respond ) after which he gave a talk on cartridges, chokes, how to set out patterns depending on conditions and hide etiquette and safety.

Most people attending a pigeon decoying course are shooters so should be insured anyhow; it could be a prerequisite of the course that they are.

Two tutors in two hides on different parts of a field, each with three students in the hide ( make 'em big enough ) only one person shooting at a time; get them to supply their own cartridges and charge them 50 quid apiece. How hard can it be? :yes:

. How hard can it be? :yes:

The hard part is getting people to commit,

Terry and Flycoy put a lot of effort into this and were let down in the end by a lack of commitment,

11 pages of bumps and nudges kept it going and well done to those that tried,

But unless people actually commit its never going to happen

:shaun:

When my kids were a lot younger I took them to many BASC Young Shots days, one of which had a section on decoying which was set up by Steve Woodhall. It took him less than an hour to set up a hide, place some deeks ( to which crows started to respond ) after which he gave a talk on cartridges, chokes, how to set out patterns depending on conditions and hide etiquette and safety.

Most people attending a pigeon decoying course are shooters so should be insured anyhow; it could be a prerequisite of the course that they are.

Two tutors in two hides on different parts of a field, each with three students in the hide ( make 'em big enough ) only one person shooting at a time; get them to supply their own cartridges and charge them 50 quid apiece. How hard can it be? :yes:

Where did the extra £5.00 come from?

BASC are only charging £45.00, plus a deal on cartridges ,that if you purchased a thousand, you would save more than £45.00. Plus there were other deals available as well.

Flycoy and I were trying to give something back to PW as we both want to support a Progressive and helpful forum, this time it did not work out.

Maybe you could run a scheme down here in North London and see if you can make it viable with 6 people paying £45.00 :whistling: .

The cartridges and clays were inclusive in the BASC Course, as was Tea and Coffee.

Despite not having enough support to make the course viable, we did have a good number of positive comments :good: , I suppose I was a little naïve not to think that once I had decided to cancel the course the Daniel Dooms and those that "could do better" would come out of the woodwork :unhappy: .

I suppose I was a little naïve not to think that once I had decided to cancel the course the Daniel Dooms and those that "could do better" would come out of the woodwork :unhappy: .

I'm not sure that I have seen any negative comments? I've taken it that Scully was suggesting those that feel let down may have other means of gaining experience. I'd have turned up just for the cheap cartridges and the chance to meet a couple of people. Next time maybe?

It is very unlikely to happen but it would be far more beneficial if people would say why they didn't sign up, at least then you can design a course around those comments. I'm guessing location was the main reason.People will say 'Yes' until they realise that the North West is a big old area.

I would have to have travelled just over an hour to get there, I had also altered my on call to be there but unfortunately it had to be cancelled, I understand why and accept that, if by any chance this course was re arranged then I would try to go once again. I think that £45.00 was a very good price for what you would have received and also the knowledge you would have got, as a newbie that has never been pidgeon shooting this course would have been invaluable to me, I will just wait patiently until the chance arrives, but thank you to everyone that put in all there time and effort. Gary.

It is very unlikely to happen but it would be far more beneficial if people would say why they didn't sign up, at least then you can design a course around those comments. I'm guessing location was the main reason.People will say 'Yes' until they realise that the North West is a big old area.

Well said :good:

Saturdays are at a premium for me, to the point I have to take them as annual leave. I did try my best to rearrange things at work, but we are short staffed and no one could fill in.

As soon as I saw it was on a Saturday, I knew I would struggle.

I don't think the cost of the course was expensive and I would have been happy to pay the full price, never mind the basc discounted price and the distance and hour drive I didn't see as a problem (I travel a lot further to go and have a bash at a clay ground).

I know Terry put a lot of time and effort into this and arranged some good discounts for thoes that attended.

I'm truly sorry I couldn't commit and am sorry that Terry's time and efforts have gone to waste.

Don't be to down hearted Terry. You did what you could and we're let down by others including me, I can only apologise for my lack of commitment.

All the best

Sabs

Where did the extra £5.00 come from?

BASC are only charging £45.00, plus a deal on cartridges ,that if you purchased a thousand, you would save more than £45.00. Plus there were other deals available as well.

Flycoy and I were trying to give something back to PW as we both want to support a Progressive and helpful forum, this time it did not work out.

Maybe you could run a scheme down here in North London and see if you can make it viable with 6 people paying £45.00 :whistling: .

The cartridges and clays were inclusive in the BASC Course, as was Tea and Coffee.

Despite not having enough support to make the course viable, we did have a good number of positive comments :good: , I suppose I was a little naïve not to think that once I had decided to cancel the course the Daniel Dooms and those that "could do better" would come out of the woodwork :unhappy: .

My post wasn't meant in any way to be critical nor negative, especially of the time and effort put into organising such an event, nor did I suggest I could do better. I just can't understand that if there are people willing to get together to do this why it has to be under the remit of an organisation. Just get on and do it.

I couldn't do it in London for 45 quid, nor would I be interested in doing so, the figure was simply from the top of my head; are there no experienced decoyers up North? Surely six likeminded people can get together, decide how much they are willing to pay to make it happen and then take it from there? Organise their own insurance, supply their own cartridges and make it happen. All it takes is the will.

My 'how hard can it be' comment was tongue in cheek, hence the smilie, and is a Clarksonism, usually uttered to camera just before things go catastrophically wrong. :)

No offence taken.

There were a good number of people wanting to take the course which covers the Law and many other interesting subjects, but when push came to shove they disappeared.

Webber was coming along to observe the course and then perhaps train to deliver the course, making it possible to have a course in the North West area as and when required, without the cost of travelling that I would have had.

The course is very interesting and although I deliver the course and have shot pigeons for a number of years I attended a course and this is what drove me on to want to be able to deliver the course myself.

If (and when) I get the time to offer this course again, I would like to offer you a free place and receive your views, all comments are valuable and of course useful.

So in finishing "Watch This Space"

Very generous offer Bakerboy. I'm not sure how helpful I could be as I don't regard myself as an expert by any means; I just set up, screw in Full, and get on with it. :yes:

If you do get it organised and I can make it, I'll gladly take up your offer to attend, and will help in any way I can, but I would have to pay my way.

Let me know how you get on.

I looked at last nights posts and ended up a bit "fed up" with the attitude that appeared to be developing on this thread, but have changed my opinion of you guys and what you are saying. the problem with this type of communication is you cant see faces and pick up on sense of humour and sarcasm.!

I have ran these days since they were first set up and only 4 guys ran them North, South ,East and West. we now have more trainers like Bakerboy, who not only pass their experience on but cover a set criteria of law, quarry ID, general licence, location safety, pattern plating discussions, gaining permission, decoying, hide building, shooting technique and we squeeze gun fit and master eye checks in as well. We supply refreshments, clays and even cartridges if the guys haven't got any with them, its a full day and the feed back we receive from these events is outstanding,

Bakerboy, me and all the BASC coaches that work at the game fair clinics , young shot, improve your shooting and ladies days do it for the sport and to pass what we know onto people with a need and willingness to learn. I am sure we would of had a good day, with some banter, good shooting and the candidates would have learnt some bits and taught us a few things too. you would of, as members had a chance to see "The Mill", and get face to face with Bakerboy and a more handsome and younger Flycoy :rolleyes:.

considering we have had nearly 12 pages of comments you would have thought we could of got 12 willing people to come along, I echo Bakerboys offer for Scully to come along and take a look at what we do, especially if he brings a pint of beer with him like his profile picture for after the course!.

I am sure Bakerboy will agree, we will do future courses in the more northern areas if enough people want us to run them, its just a real shame this one has not met the numbers to cover the basic expenses.

Flycoy

I looked at last nights posts and ended up a bit "fed up" with the attitude that appeared to be developing on this thread, but have changed my opinion of you guys and what you are saying. the problem with this type of communication is you cant see faces and pick up on sense of humour and sarcasm.!

I have ran these days since they were first set up and only 4 guys ran them North, South ,East and West. we now have more trainers like Bakerboy, who not only pass their experience on but cover a set criteria of law, quarry ID, general licence, location safety, pattern plating discussions, gaining permission, decoying, hide building, shooting technique and we squeeze gun fit and master eye checks in as well. We supply refreshments, clays and even cartridges if the guys haven't got any with them, its a full day and the feed back we receive from these events is outstanding,

Bakerboy, me and all the BASC coaches that work at the game fair clinics , young shot, improve your shooting and ladies days do it for the sport and to pass what we know onto people with a need and willingness to learn. I am sure we would of had a good day, with some banter, good shooting and the candidates would have learnt some bits and taught us a few things too. you would of, as members had a chance to see "The Mill", and get face to face with Bakerboy and a more handsome and younger Flycoy :rolleyes:.

considering we have had nearly 12 pages of comments you would have thought we could of got 12 willing people to come along, I echo Bakerboys offer for Scully to come along and take a look at what we do, especially if he brings a pint of beer with him like his profile picture for after the course!.

I am sure Bakerboy will agree, we will do future courses in the more northern areas if enough people want us to run them, its just a real shame this one has not met the numbers to cover the basic expenses.

Flycoy

Nicely put and as always positive :good: .

Lets get the holidays out of the way and come back refreshed and ready to go again :yes: .

• 3 weeks later...

Squinting shot and Lurchers,

We had to cancel the north west course at Marford Mill, on the 5th Sept because of low numbers . We will of course run one in the North east, if we can get enough interest as the course is only 45 quid for the day we need a good number to cover expenses.

let us know if you are interested

Flycoy