car mot

mikky

first of all, i do not want to tar everyone with the same brush. took the wifes fiesta in for an mot yesterday....it failed on exhaust emissions..was told the catalytic converter was nackered and needed a new one,,, cost between £200 / £300 fitted plus some other minor failures.. :good:

decided to get a second opinion....20 mins later and £8 worse off was told all it needed was a sensor.

the mechanic did'nt even charge labour :good:

the morale of this story is obvious

first of all, i do not want to tar everyone with the same brush. took the wifes fiesta in for an mot yesterday....it failed on exhaust emissions..was told the catalytic converter was nackered and needed a new one,,, cost between £200 / £300 fitted plus some other minor failures.. :good:

decided to get a second opinion....20 mins later and £8 worse off was told all it needed was a sensor.

the mechanic did'nt even charge labour :good:

the morale of this story is obvious

I took my car for an MOT test. When I was told it failed, I asked for a second opinion. Okay, he said, you are an ugly sod as well! :good:

So much for VOSA and its computerised data base.

A couple of weeks ago I sent one of my companies trucks to our approved maintrenance contractor for mot preparation and test. The vehicle past the test no problem.

We collected the vehicle late morning, and by 3pm the vehicle had been stopped by VOSA, no mot certificate. I spoke to the VOSA examiner on the mobile, and then faxed him the cert.

Last week the same vehicle was stopped by VOSA twice, same reason, same response.

As you will appreciate this is very frustrating and interupts the working day for no good reason, causing 40 to 60 minutes delay each time.

Last year we had a similar set of circumstances, vehicle stopped, no mot, oh yes we have, fax it then, ok on your way. Then a few weeks later a young lady appeared at our office informing me that one of our trucks had been stopped with no mot, and that they were considering a prosecution. I produced the valid cert, and gave her a photo copy. A month or so later I received a letter, again stating that our vehicle had been stopped etc, and that given that the vehicle had been recently tested they would not prosecute on this occasion, buy dont let it happen again.

So based on previous experience I can expect a visit. However I shall produce the certificate for inspection, but if they want a copy I shall feel obliged to levy an administration charge.

All of this is on top of quite regular stops to my fleet, so much so that most of my drivers are on first name terms with the staff at the weigh bridges. I now feel that my fleet has been specifically targeted.

I dont blame the inspectors, they are doing there job, but the data base that they trfer to is clearly flawed.

webber

So much for VOSA and its computerised data base.

A couple of weeks ago I sent one of my companies trucks to our approved maintrenance contractor for mot preparation and test. The vehicle past the test no problem.

We collected the vehicle late morning, and by 3pm the vehicle had been stopped by VOSA, no mot certificate. I spoke to the VOSA examiner on the mobile, and then faxed him the cert.

Last week the same vehicle was stopped by VOSA twice, same reason, same response.

As you will appreciate this is very frustrating and interupts the working day for no good reason, causing 40 to 60 minutes delay each time.

Last year we had a similar set of circumstances, vehicle stopped, no mot, oh yes we have, fax it then, ok on your way. Then a few weeks later a young lady appeared at our office informing me that one of our trucks had been stopped with no mot, and that they were considering a prosecution. I produced the valid cert, and gave her a photo copy. A month or so later I received a letter, again stating that our vehicle had been stopped etc, and that given that the vehicle had been recently tested they would not prosecute on this occasion, buy dont let it happen again.

So based on previous experience I can expect a visit. However I shall produce the certificate for inspection, but if they want a copy I shall feel obliged to levy an administration charge.

All of this is on top of quite regular stops to my fleet, so much so that most of my drivers are on first name terms with the staff at the weigh bridges. I now feel that my fleet has been specifically targeted.

I dont blame the inspectors, they are doing there job, but the data base that they trfer to is clearly flawed.

webber

Look, if you insist on running your vehicles on non-enviro friendly gas conversions what do you expect :good::good:

Do your vehicles also have tinted windows wot like your pimpmobile has :good::good:

Don

Took mine for MOT last weekend failed because the brake pipes were dirty!! :rolleyes: had the under side of the car cleaned the day before talk about getting money out of ya!!

Have to take the wheels off now and clean the pipes with a wire brush

Jim

hi mikky, did you get a gas analyzer read out with your mot, if so it should tell you what it failed on, like lamda prob or co to high,, [/quote

it failed on all readings :good: ....just like two other people i have spoken to who have used the same garage...theirs also failed on brakes,number plate lights,and front bushes :lol: just the same as mine...and guess what ...when they took them for second opinions theirs only failed on one of the readings...no worn bushes but all had both number plate lights out :good: ...apparently the garage owner has bought rather a large house and a mortgage he can't afford........so you can draw your own conclusions

You will get less **** from mot testers is you look the part, ie, go dressed in a boiler suit, etc. Then you car will only fail on the items that it really should, a s they should realise that there is no financial gain to be made by over egging the pudding.

webber

I remember years ago on my old Sierra the sills needed doing. I got the cover sills and had them welded in place. In one small area the rust meant the weld kept blowing out and so a small gap was left. It failed. It could not be patched back further so I craftily took a length of swarf from work, under sealed in the hole to create a backing, laid the swarf over the hole to look like a line of weld and undersealed over the top. It passed no worries at all!

Oh, never buy a used car from me, I can't be trusted! :good:

Hello guys and girls

M.O.T'S are VAT exempt no vat to be charged what so ever on your M.O.T fee,

If you take your car for its m.o.t, and it passes you are given a vt20 (mot cert) if there is a fault that the tester as seen but it is not a fail then you will be given a vt20 (mot cert) and a vt32 (advisory print out) you should also receive a copy of the emissions print out as well be it a pass or a fail when you are given the other paper work.

If your car fails to meet the m.o.t standards and fails it test then you will be given a vt30 (that’s a fail sheet) listing all the defects that’s been found on your car, along with a vt32 (advisory sheet) if there is anything to advise you on, and you will receive a copy of the emissions printout, if you are not happy with any part of the m.o.t test you can appeal it to vosa, they will make arrangements with you for one of there testers to inspect your car (most times at a different testing station that is close to were you are so as not to inconvenience you) when I say there testers I meant there testers and not someone from another garage, you can be present at the time, as can the guy who failed it, if vosa disagree with the fail and say it should have passed then the guy is in for a dressing down big style and will accredit points so many point against you and you can no longer test,

What I will say is when it comes to m.o.t's we are given a set of guide lines in the inspection manual and we have to refer to them, but these are open to interoperation by the tester at times some of the guide lines are unclear and can swing both ways, this is were it comes down to the testers experience and knowledge. Of cars and parts

We are also provided with updates to the manual, to keep us upto date with all modern cars,

And as for how you dress to me it don’t make a bind bit of difference you are all treated the same, and if I issue you with a vt30 (fail sheet) or vt32 (advisory sheet) then I take the time to explain it to you and if need be show you on your car what as failed and why,

Regards mot tester

P.S. sorry if this was long winded but I thought as the general public you needed to know this info and I hope it help you out.

:good: Believe it or not it is quite hard to fail a vehicle in for MOT.

There are more complaints about cars passing the test than there is about a car failing.

This happens when a vehicle is serviced after the MOT and the garage tells you some components are worn and should be changed.

I get it 2 or 3 times a week :good:

LB

I remember years ago on my old Sierra the sills needed doing. I got the cover sills and had them welded in place. In one small area the rust meant the weld kept blowing out and so a small gap was left. It failed. It could not be patched back further so I craftily took a length of swarf from work, under sealed in the hole to create a backing, laid the swarf over the hole to look like a line of weld and undersealed over the top. It passed no worries at all!

Oh, never buy a used car from me, I can't be trusted! :good:

That is priceless :good:

You can fail a car for a hole in a sill for example and when it comes back all filled up with whatever you cannot dig about or try to remove the repair.

You then have no option but to pass it but you can issue an advise stating that you suspect that a poor repair has been made but you can't prove it :good:

LB

An MOT proves nothing more than that at the time of test the car wasn't able to be failed.

When you look at what is tested, and how many people use having one as a reason for buying a car, its a wonder anyone is surprised when faults develop then blame the MOT tester :good: