Things to see in new york

fuzzypigeon

So I'm off to New York on the 13th, and was wondering what things I should do, now I've been before and I did the helicopter tour, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and many other tourist things so this time I'm planning to go see all the hidden gems that aren't on the usual itinerary of every tourist.

So any suggestions are very welcome.

Paul

Last time I was in NY the High Line http://www.thehighline.org/visitwas the absolute high point for me. It's basically the old elevated and now disused railway lines which run right through Manhattan. The old lines have been transformed into one long beautiful garden which you can walk along for miles and get fantastic views of the skyline and architecture. You can get onto it just a couple of blocks from the Empire State - absolutely fantastic , very relaxing and all free to.

Edited by Oxfordshooter

Go feel the lucky balls on the big bronze bull in Wall Street. MOMI, the Museum of the Moving Image is interesting if you have an interest in films. The Metropolitan Museum of Art and MOMA, Rockefeller Centre, Radio City tour and for a great steak, Keens at 72 W 36th Street. Ellen's Starlight Diner is a bit of fun at 1650 Broadway, very close to Times Square. Being a bit of an airplane nut, the USS Intrepid museum is worth a visit too.

Many years ago when I went I enjoyed a meal at the Heartland brewery, a micro brewery pub/restaurant. If I go gain I will definately go there, but it was about 12 years ago...

If it's not too far between places, try and walk everywhere , as you see much more that way and find things you'd never expect.

Grand central station is quite worth a visit. If you are into the music scene Greenwich Village is good but requires reading up before you go. Buggy ride in the park and take in the Dakota building but New York has some of the finest art galleries in the world, Most of which are free.

Many years ago when I went I enjoyed a meal at the Heartland brewery, a micro brewery pub/restaurant. If I go gain I will definately go there, but it was about 12 years ago...

If it's not too far between places, try and walk everywhere , as you see much more that way and find things you'd never expect.

A second for the Heartland Brewery, we were there a few years ago and it there were a couple in NYC. One in Union Square which is a nice area.

Edited to add Union Square branch has closed but they are still there in Manhattan.

http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/new-locations-2/

Edited by Laird Lugton

Wherever you go, be careful with your credit card, as they don't have chip & pin, you still have to sign for everything, (amazingly).

My card was cloned when I went to NY in March, so don't let it out of your sight, particularly in restaurants etc as it will likely be cloned when they take it out the back..!

Cat.