.17hmr ammo

ive had a bunch of cci ammo i let of whrn setting up ive got all the cases in a box as not leaving at stables ive noticed about 6 or 7 seven split down the side of the neck is this usual with this brand and will it make a difference to acuracy

ive had a bunch of cci ammo i let of whrn setting up ive got all the cases in a box as not leaving at stables ive noticed about 6 or 7 seven split down the side of the neck is this usual with this brand and will it make a difference to acuracy

Ive had the same problem.. Apparentley this is fairly common with cci ammo and has been mentioned before on 'other' shooting forums accuracy wont be affected..

I'd be more than a bit concerned about the chamber allowing any expansion of the shell on a regular basis. I recover every 17HMR shell used when prone shooting - and about 60% on rough walkabout. I have never found a split one from my Quad.

I pick up 99.99% of my cases and have never had a split case. Its funny (actually not) that everytime someone mentions a split case it normally a CCI branded round. I know they seem to like playing around with tolerances and sizes. Thats one of the reasons I dont use the .22LR CCI's, I wonder if the case size on the CCI .17HMR rounds is slightly smaller in diameter. I do know this though, I wont be rusging out to buy any CCI ammo for any of my rimfires.

mines a cz but when used remmy carts found none to split only the cci when looking doen there looks like the cci cases are thinner will have to take some to work tonight and get them weighed and see how much more brass there is in the remmys

I have not long had my HMR, but the ammo I use is Hornaday 17gn VMax. I would think that a rifle that is named .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire and from all reviews and my own experience, there are no problems. Sometimes when you try to save money, and why not?, you fall foul of inferior products. This is only my personal opinion.

For those who have not seen this review, again look at Review

i have put thousands of hornady 17 grn down my cz varmint

and never have i seen a slit one. do a lot of shooting out of the motor so the cases need cleaning up, so i do see a lot of used ones.

it used to only happen with remmingtons but the problem seems to be spreading.

I have not long had my HMR, but the ammo I use is Hornaday 17gn VMax. I would think that a rifle that is named .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire and from all reviews and my own experience, there are no problems. Sometimes when you try to save money, and why not?, you fall foul of inferior products. This is only my personal opinion.

For those who have not seen this review, again look at Review

The Hornaday,Remington & CCI ammo is ALL made by CCI, using the same Hornaday bullet,hence should all be much of muchness.

I buy Remington because it's the only one I can get locally.

i used to have a cz american hmr and and had a lot of split cases the same with my marlin but i found it isnt very common with the hornady ammo.their was a good piece in the sporting gun magazine a while ago about this and they contacted cci directly and they put it down to the metal being brittle around the neck area due to stresses put into the metal during forming.

• 2 weeks later...