.22 rim fire ammo .

RWS have to be one of the better choices, if your rifle likes them. A genuinely quiet sub., tiny, tiny groups, the only downside - they are filthy to handle, very greasy. Not to complain, I've had 135 rabbits on the last few outings ... bang on !

Yes I noticed that they were greasy ,if Ido buy some more I will wipe them over with a clean piece of rag before I shoot . I do this with all the messy .22 rounds . There is always enough lube left to lube the bullet .

Harnser

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every RFD in that area will be shown but you'll be hard pushed to find one that actually stocks them.

I don't have any use for .22lr HV but RWS subs are widely stocked.

Currently paying £37.00 - £40.00 + VAT per brick of 500 for RWS, and they are indeed "by far the most accurate HP in my CZ" of those that I've tried.

You can use powder free nitrile disposables to handle them if you prefer not to get lead impregnated bullet lube on your hands.

I don't have any use for .22lr HV but RWS subs are widely stocked.

Currently paying £37.00 - £40.00 + VAT per brick of 500 for RWS, and they are indeed "by far the most accurate HP in my CZ" of those that I've tried.

You can use powder free nitrile disposables to handle them if you prefer not to get lead impregnated bullet lube on your hands.

Please don't start the lead thing lol.

Please don't start the lead thing lol.

Over the years I have handled many, many thousands of bullets ,rifle,pistol and lead shot . I have also ingested about half a ton of shot with out a single broken tooth . Never once did I use a wipe . Although when I was cooking up lead most of the time I used a disposable mask .

Harnser

I have the same gun browning t bolt and I use winny subs in it and I have never had any problems with them I also tried eley subs and they were good too.

I have not tried anything else.

I use mine almost daily brill gun.

Youngy

I have the same gun browning t bolt and I use winny subs in it and I have never had any problems with them I also tried eley subs and they were good too.

I have not tried anything else.

I use mine almost daily brill gun.

Youngy

Still getting used to the action . I was a bit clumsy with it at first but after a couple of hundred shots through it I am now seeing how fast it is over a conventional bolt action . I must say that it is a very accurate shooter .

Harnser

Was always a huge fan of Eley Subs.

Still remember when they improved them and made their expansion even better than before.

May try some of the RWS if I can source it

Never liked the Remington subs

Winchester were always my 2nd choice if the shop had no Eley in stock

Still remember when they improved them and made their expansion even better than before.

Same here but then the eley went very slow for a few bricks. I was selling a lot of rabbit at the time and it was losing me rabbits. Went to Winchester and instant better performance.

That was a few year ago. Tried a few recent eley and they seemed back on par.

I imagine making rim fire ammo can be a nightmare, any slight change in anything and the difference in performance will be noticeable!

Eley have a reputation based on target, with accuracy and repeatability a priority, their field ammo largely stems from this and many find their ammo consistent and accurate in the field.

However, their expansion was, and still is appalling compared to the likes of Winchester, Magtech etc!

:good:

Sadly, probably not. Try your post code and 100 miles distant. Every RFD in that area will be shown but you'll be hard pushed to find one that actually stocks them.

Very astute and correct Sir!

Still looking! No Rush! Thank goodness!

Same here but then the eley went very slow for a few bricks. I was selling a lot of rabbit at the time and it was losing me rabbits. Went to Winchester and instant better performance.

That was a few year ago. Tried a few recent eley and they seemed back on par.

I imagine making rim fire ammo can be a nightmare, any slight change in anything and the difference in performance will be noticeable!

Yes you are quite right . I think that the application of the primer material is critical . It is applied in liquid form and then the case is spun to distribute the priming media around the the rim of the case . To much or not enough will alter the performance of the bullet . How many times have you had miss fires with rim fire ammo and then re chambered the round for it to shoot . A sign that the primer has not distributed all around the rim of the cartridge .

Harnser

I've shot Eley, Winchester, RWS, and CCI subs and standard velocity. The most consistent and accurate for me have always been Eley subs, by far my most used vermin control bullet in 22LR. I tried some CCI the other day and by contrast they were inaccurate (spitting bullets all over the shop at 100 yds) and noisy. Never again...what a load of ****. RWS also excellent. Winchester seem to have better expansion than Eley subs but Id sooner sacrifice a little expansion and know that the bullet will go exactly where I want it every shot. Eley gives me that confidence in the Ruger at any rate. I've never had a runner on Eley so the expansion is more than adequate for small game IME. You can sometimes have too much expansion and ruddy great exit wounds do nowt for leaving much left over to eat for rabbit or ground feeding pigeon.

I've shot Eley, Winchester, RWS, and CCI subs and standard velocity. The most consistent and accurate for me have always been Eley subs, by far my most used vermin control bullet in 22LR. I tried some CCI the other day and by contrast they were inaccurate (spitting bullets all over the shop at 100 yds) and noisy. Never again...what a load of ****. RWS also excellent. Winchester seem to have better expansion than Eley subs but Id sooner sacrifice a little expansion and know that the bullet will go exactly where I want it every shot. Eley gives me that confidence in the Ruger at any rate. I've never had a runner on Eley so the expansion is more than adequate for small game IME. You can sometimes have too much expansion and ruddy great exit wounds do nowt for leaving much left over to eat for rabbit or ground feeding pigeon.

if your .22lr rounds are not leaving you much to eat then you are shooting them in the wrong place

colin

Not really Colin. I rarely take pigeon with the rifle, but it's not a big target and placing the shot in the chest is what I normally do to ensure a clean kill with few misses when I do have the opportunity. Used the HMR and ballistic tips recently (not suitable if you want to eat the pigeon) and there wasn't much left after the bird was shot with that at 70 yds. Head shots are fine for bunnies but when they're close to the holes, I've seem them kick themselves back down the holes numerous times when headshot, so I always go for the chest shot just behind the front leg if side on, or midships if front on. Mind you, most of the eating on a rabbit tends to be the hind quarters anyway so I'm less worried about those and it's pigeon which are more often spoiled when hit with expanding ammo.

Edited by Savhmr

For decades I shot Winchester subs out of my BRNO Mod2. I shot thousands of rabbits and could hit them at any range out to 130yds. I used to sell them in Chelford market and headshots were important..

At that time if you offered me Eley subs I would have thrown them back at you, they were absolutely useless in that gun and throwing the bullets at the rabbits would have been just as effective. They gave a shotgun pattern at best. I honestly could not understand how anybody ever bought them or even how the gunshops sold them.

I have handed down my BRNO to my son and now have a CZ Scout. I don't shoot anything like as much as back then and my own accuracy has declined through lack of practice. With this gun Eley subs are marginally better than Winchester and CCI are not far behind.

Just shows how different rounds suit different guns, probably more so if the gun is well used.

I am a firm believer of not over cleaning a .22 rim fire barrel . I have found over the years that not cleaning the barrel will keep the gun shooting accurately . But I am fastidious in cleaning the chamber and the bolt face and around the chamber entrance and bullet ramp . This method has always given good accuracy and reliability in my rim fires .

Harnser

I am a firm believer of not over cleaning a .22 rim fire barrel . I have found over the years that not cleaning the barrel will keep the gun shooting accurately . But I am fastidious in cleaning the chamber and the bolt face and around the chamber entrance and bullet ramp . This method has always given good accuracy and reliability in my rim fires .

Harnser

+1. I had an old BRNO bolt action, and in the 15 years that I had it, and the many 1000's of bullets shot, I only cleaned it a handful of times. Before I got rid of it, the barrel had not been cleaned for approx 4 years, and it was still accurate. All other parts were cleaned though.