tiny bit of plumbing advice required...

brett1985

afternoon guys and girls...

im looking at moving a radiator along a wall in the bedroom so she who must be obeyed can fit a wardrobe against that wall, and while im no stranger to a bit of plumbing (relocated most of the pipework in my kitchen) moving this rad 'properly' is going to mean that the boss will want the pipework hidden in the stud wall.

cutting the wall out and notching the upstands to make room for the pipes, running new pipework and then repairing/re-plastering the wall seems to be the order of the day, but my question is...

do I really need to use copper pipe? can I just go from the current copper pipe behind the wall, use push fit joiners, run plastic flexi pipe up to the new tails coming out of their new location, and then reconnect to the rad valves?

I just don't fancy trying to solder joints inside a stud wall, and due to the limited space compression fittings will be a pain in the '*****, so to speak.

I await your knowledgeable replies. :good:

afternoon guys and girls...

im looking at moving a radiator along a wall in the bedroom so she who must be obeyed can fit a wardrobe against that wall, and while im no stranger to a bit of plumbing (relocated most of the pipework in my kitchen) moving this rad 'properly' is going to mean that the boss will want the pipework hidden in the stud wall.

cutting the wall out and notching the upstands to make room for the pipes, running new pipework and then repairing/re-plastering the wall seems to be the order of the day, but my question is...

do I really need to use copper pipe? can I just go from the current copper pipe behind the wall, use push fit joiners, run plastic flexi pipe up to the new tails coming out of their new location, and then reconnect to the rad valves?

I just don't fancy trying to solder joints inside a stud wall, and due to the limited space compression fittings will be a pain in the '*****, so to speak.

I await your knowledgeable replies. :good:

the pipe going to radiator valve should be in copper use plastic for the long run but last 200mm in copper

Don't forget to earth the radiator for two reasons. Firstly, as it is not connected to the rest of the system with copper pipe and you run the risk of getting kicks off it and also it will help to lessen the effects of electrolytic corrosion where the rad union screws in to the rad (brass on steel or vice versa). I will fur up quicker than a nun's chuff.

Don't forget to earth the radiator for two reasons. Firstly, as it is not connected to the rest of the system with copper pipe and you run the risk of getting kicks off it and also it will help to lessen the effects of electrolytic corrosion where the rad union screws in to the rad (brass on steel or vice versa). I will fur up quicker than a nun's chuff.

Where does the rad get the electric from?

Where does the rad get the electric from?

From the water passing through it and via the earth connecting the controls of the indirect system. Household electrics can and are permitted a maximum of 14v AC to be carried along the earth. The water in the system conducts this and has an effect on non-earthed stand alone rads. Even without electrolytic corrosion you can still get galvanic corrosion. I see it a lot on systems that have been plumbed with plastic pipe and the rads not earthed. But don't take my word for it, I'm sure the OP will be posting a question in within two to three years because it's not working as well as it once was and will be wondering why.

From the water passing through it and via the earth connecting the controls of the indirect system. Household electrics can and are permitted a maximum of 14v AC to be carried along the earth. The water in the system conducts this and has an effect on non-earthed stand alone rads. Even without electrolytic corrosion you can still get galvanic corrosion. I see it a lot on systems that have been plumbed with plastic pipe and the rads not earthed. But don't take my word for it, I'm sure the OP will be posting a question in within two to three years because it's not working as well as it once was and will be wondering why.

I didn't doubt you Doc, I was genuinely interested in how it could become "live", Thanks for the explanation.

I think your best bet is to get her who needs to be obeyed on a plumbing course .

Harnser

Haha! I did suggest that this evening... didnt go down to well if im honest.

Ive re-evaluated and gained permission to buy a new, smaller, radiator with a similar btu rating and just run copper pipe on the outside of the wall.

At the end of it all, the pipes wont be seen as theres a 7 foot wardrobe going infront of them.

Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll stick some pictures up at some point.

Brett

Haha! I did suggest that this evening... didnt go down to well if im honest.

Ive re-evaluated and gained permission to buy a new, smaller, radiator with a similar btu rating and just run copper pipe on the outside of the wall.

At the end of it all, the pipes wont be seen as theres a 7 foot wardrobe going infront of them.

Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll stick some pictures up at some point.

Brett

I see the training is going well.

Just use 2 x 90 solder bends and job done

I would do but I need a smaller curve radius than that will give, plus, I don't have any satisfactory soldering kit.

cant find 180 degree push fit return bends anywhere.... lol

I do however have an internal pipe bending spring, a 2 and a half inch tube to bend around and a blow torch. pretty sure I can get it sorted. :good: