17 HMR poor grouping

rich1985

Any one have any ideas as to why my HMR grouping is getting worse and worse. When I first got it and for a good few years after I could put the bullet holes touching at 100 yards and now the group is about 3.5 inch at 100 yards, I have fired about 10 to 12 thousands rounds through it. I thought it could be ammo so I gave a box to a mate and all was fine. Thanks

As soon as I've finished shooting I take the mods off my rifles and always store them separately.

Not sure of the exact chemistry but something in the burnt powder can react in the mod to make water vapour. So if you leave the mod on your rifle your effectively letting water drip down the barrel and on the crown which is not good

Try a copper and possibly a carbon remover - bore tech do specific ones

If you leave the mod on then yeah, the last few inches of rifling are probably screwed

In that case maybe the barrel can be shortened to get to some better rifling

Or new barrel (is it worth it/possible on a hmr?) or rifle

During combustion, pretty much any combustion, water is produced. Yes the elements that make water are present in the propellent that drives your bullets.

The rapid expansion in a cold moderator encourages this vapour to instantly condense on the interior surfaces. Eventually this finds its way to the crown. A damaged crown will give poor grouping.

This is the chief reason I don't use mods on non lubricated bullet rifles like the hmr.

Hornet is especially bad for leaving water vapour in the bore without a mod on!

One single most preventative measure if one is not going to remove their mod every time is an oiled patch on returning home followed by a dry one just before leaving home next time out.

Any one have any ideas as to why my HMR grouping is getting worse and worse. When I first got it and for a good few years after I could put the bullet holes touching at 100 yards and now the group is about 3.5 inch at 100 yards, I have fired about 10 to 12 thousands rounds through it. I thought it could be ammo so I gave a box to a mate and all was fine. Thanks

Are you using the same optic try a different optic it may be the sight at fault not the rifle try a different one I had seen it many times before when blokes grouping starts getting massive a lot of the time it's the optic that's damage not the rifle

Edited by kory1986

During combustion, pretty much any combustion, water is produced. Yes the elements that make water are present in the propellent that drives your bullets.

The rapid expansion in a cold moderator encourages this vapour to instantly condense on the interior surfaces. Eventually this finds its way to the crown. A damaged crown will give poor grouping.

This is the chief reason I don't use mods on non lubricated bullet rifles like the hmr.

Hornet is especially bad for leaving water vapour in the bore without a mod on!

One single most preventative measure if one is not going to remove their mod every time is an oiled patch on returning home followed by a dry one just before leaving home next time out.

I usually clean the rifle after every outing with a gun-mouse (all nylon version of a bore snake), dry patch and light oil, then return the mod after shaking it out to get rid of any loose crud and fouling. The barrel and crown are still 100% fine 6 years later so this is a bit of a non issue I reckon unless people never clean or look after their bores. It most certainly could be an issue for someone who never touches their cleaning kits though!

I usually clean the rifle after every outing with a gun-mouse (all nylon version of a bore snake), dry patch and light oil, then return the mod after shaking it out to get rid of any loose crud and fouling. The barrel and crown are still 100% fine 6 years later so this is a bit of a non issue I reckon unless people never clean or look after their bores. It most certainly could be an issue for someone who never touches their cleaning kits though!

Spot on mate :good: