copper shot not coated just pure copper shot cartridges

Copper has a density of 8.93 gm per cm3. This is denser than steel, but obviously not lead.

I would question whether it could be used on wildfowl as it would appear to be toxic.

If copper was toxic why would they change lead pipes with copper for drinking water ?

It's not the poison, it's the dose.

Mammals need small quantities of copper for all sorts of things, particularly to do with the function of the liver, if memory serves.

I don't believe the quantities ingested by a duck using it as grit would be concerning, but it might be worth checking whether there are any explicit rules either way before you get caught out.

As an aside, copper tends to be antiseptic to some degree, which is why they used to make hospital instruments / furniture from it until it became outdated / expensive. Blasting it into water may even improve the health of the dabbling birds, in much the same way that people who keep ornamental fish add small quantities of copper sulphate (the bright blue stuff) to pond water to treat bacterial infections in fish.

It's not the poison, it's the dose.

Mammals need small quantities of copper for all sorts of things, particularly to do with the function of the liver, if memory serves.

I don't believe the quantities ingested by a duck using it as grit would be concerning, but it might be worth checking whether there are any explicit rules either way before you get caught out.

As an aside, copper tends to be antiseptic to some degree, which is why they used to make hospital instruments / furniture from it until it became outdated / expensive. Blasting it into water may even improve the health of the dabbling birds, in much the same way that people who keep ornamental fish add small quantities of copper sulphate (the bright blue stuff) to pond water to treat bacterial infections in fish.

if its not banned, which it appears its not, then it must be an alternative surely:

Nobody has to say they have to Stop Looking for a viable alternative, Steel is mainly the Choice at the minute due to Cost..

Which Brings me to the point of Cost:

Copper is still and expensive alternative, but if Middle range then go ahead and try it,,

Wheight, and, flattening on impact for more shock, may be the answer, I don`t really have any figures to back this up..

Be Interesting though.

On the way back from chasing duck , I sat cosseted in my ghostly quiet and silky riding defender and remembered why copper was not used as shot.

It causes infectious wounds .

The French complained bitterly that English archers were using poison on their arrows when in fact they used copper based glue.

The Americans did studies with steel shot , copper shot and lead shot in trials ( Patuxtent) I think it was. They dropped the copper because it was poisonous , even though it shot well.

Don't think it is outlawed , just inhumane.

On the way back from chasing duck , I sat cosseted in my ghostly quiet and silky riding defender and remembered why copper was not used as shot.

It causes infectious wounds .

The French complained bitterly that English archers were using poison on their arrows when in fact they used copper based glue.

The Americans did studies with steel shot , copper shot and lead shot in trials ( Patuxtent) I think it was. They dropped the copper because it was poisonous , even though it shot well.

Don't think it is outlawed , just inhumane.

As Quoted Mate, We Drink Through Copper Pipe>???

Copper is toxic, just like most things, when it gets to a certain level. Oxidised copper is significantly worse.

Copper is also much more reactive than steel and lead so if shot over ground where there is a higher level of acidity then it will break down faster and can cause different types of toxicity. I would think that a bird pricked by copper shot would be ok as the pellet would be absorbed slowly and the body would be able to cope with that, providing the wound didn't kill it, but shot that may be orally consumed as part of feeding or picking up grit may be a bigger problem as the gut acid would break it down and the toxins would flow into the intestines much more readily.

Cooking in raw or worn copper pots is warned against, most of them will have a coating to prevent copper absorption especially if cooking acidic foods.

I have a blue green line on one finger from when I was an apprentice cutting copper pipe and when the hacksaw went through the rag on the pipe cut my finger. A good while later after it healed I noticed this line, it has now faded over the years. Never got infected or poisoned me, granted it will have been a very small amount. Much the same as folk from wars with lead fragments in them and left in place as danger is so small.